title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Is it possible to switch off spliting genres?

Is it possible to switch off spliting genres?

I have spent a good amount of time categorising my relatively large collection into a range of genres, with genre names that mean something to me - for example: 'Ambient/Electronic', 'Nu Jazz/Funk' and 'Pop/Rock'. Minimserver, Musicbee and various other software that I use don't have any issues with this naming approach, but in Asset UPnP my genre grouping is a complete mess. I gather this may be due to the fact that Asset UPnP has the ability to recognise multiple genres - I don't want this, can it somehow be switched off? If so how?

Administrator

Re: Is it possible to switch off spliting genres?

Which audio format are you using?

- thanks for getting back to me. My collection is in various formats, but mainly a mixture of flac and mp3s. I'm hoping that there's a quick, straightforward remedy to this issue, which isn't dependent on editing a lot of tags...

Administrator

For mp3 the standard for storing multiple values is / so Pop/Rock is 2 separate genres.

You are finding that Asset follows the tagging standards, but the other programs do not.

Thanks for coming back to again Spoon, though I remain somewhat unclear how this going to be resolved.

What character should I substitute the "/" with in order for Asset to stop splitting my genres? Would for example "Pop|Rock" be treated as a single genre, or would I need to use another character to achieve this? I've already mentioned that my collection comprises mp3s and flac's, but I've just realised that it also comprises some mp4s - will a character substitution work on all these formats? And I also note that some mp3s have id3v2 tags whilst others have id3v1 - will this be a factor as well?

Administrator

You can use the | character. No issues with v1 tags.