title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How To Rip A Copy Protected CD With DBPoweramp!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Krister
    • Sep 2012

How To Rip A Copy Protected CD With DBPoweramp!

Hello guys,

Recently I bought a new CD with Bette Midler that is called Thighs And Whispers but the problem is that I can't rip the CD to my external harddrive so I assuming this CD is copy protected even if it is an old CD from 1979 but maybe it is newly pressed since it does not work to rip. I hope so much that someone can help me now again since I really wanna rip this CD.

Thanks,

Krister
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How To Rip A Copy Protected CD With DBPoweramp!

What happens when you try to rip? if you select 'Burst' ripping mode, what happens?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• linkman
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Dec 2015

If it is copy protected then you may have stumbled upon a new type of copy protection or this CD is not on a list of previously available ones with protection. The two types of protection for CD's that I know of are Sony XCP and MediaMax CD-3.

Your problem is probably something other than copy protection.

Comment

• Oggy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Krister
        Hello guys,

Recently I bought a new CD with Bette Midler that is called Thighs And Whispers but the problem is that I can't rip the CD to my external harddrive so I assuming this CD is copy protected even if it is an old CD from 1979 but maybe it is newly pressed since it does not work to rip. I hope so much that someone can help me now again since I really wanna rip this CD.

Thanks,

Krister
        Hi Krister,

Have you had any joy ripping the Bette Midler CD? To the best of my knowledge, that CD has not been re-mastered since1995, so certainly would not have copy protection - this started around 2001/2002. The advice to try "Burst mode" or try another drive, are your best chance, if after cleaning, you still have problems.

For copy protected CDs, it is well worth reading the thread on DRM and Copy protection. The easiest way to rip them, is to use a drive that copes with copy protection, and treats them as a standard CD.

Out of interest, I re-ripped (or tried to) a Warner's CD from 2002 on the laptop's in built drive, which I know doesn't cope with copy protected discs. On track 1, got 15,970 frames needing re-ripping - I didn't attempt this! I then put the same CD in my old Lite-on drive, and got an AccurateRip, first pass on all tracks, both with C2 pointers off, and C2 pointers on.

There are plenty of CD drives that cope with copy protection, and some that don't. My friends have had good results with Lite-on drives - I'm sure others could name other drives that work.

How big a problem copy protection is, really depends on where the CDs were manufactured, and the era. Europe had far more copy protected discs (Phillips didn't class a Copy controlled disc as a proper CD) than the USA, and these were from around 2001 (Madonna GhV2) - 2002, with other attempts later. Two popular CDs of the time, Dido's, Life For Rent, and the self-titled, The Darkness CDs, were re-pressed without copy protection, after the fall out of customers genuine CDs being unplayable on some players.

The ridiculous part of this, was that with the right software, people who hadn't bought an original CD, but borrowed one, copied it, removing the copy protection, could play (and rip) their copy!
        Last edited by Oggy; 02-01-2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>