title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to batch convert flac to aiff?

best way to batch convert flac to aiff?

trying to consolidate my 2tb music collection to aiff from primarily flac files . started to batch convert small sample and received error in metadata. the first problem I see is no artwork being converted to metadata in aiff file.
    send to clipboard option came up which im not familiar with its purpose or how to use

can someone guide me with proper settings and /or procedures to successfully batch convert flac to aiff while maintaining metadata ?
    I am updated to R16.1

any help appreciated, thanks

Administrator

Re: best way to batch convert flac to aiff?

Your flac files have art embedded? to check right click on one flac file >> edit id tags, it should show the artwork there.

thanks for quick reply, I checked and the artwork is not embedded, its in a separate jpeg folder in the album folder along with tracks.
    I guess the question now is whats the easiest way to embed it to each track?
    Is that a setting to enable?

Administrator

Include the DSP Effect 'id tag processing' set to import folder.jpg

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The big question is why use AIFF? Since you are trying to embed artwork you obviously aren't trying to create CDs from those files. Are you using some unusual software that requires AIFF? Since it's usually uncompressed it almost always has no advantages over FLAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Include the DSP Effect 'id tag processing' set to import folder.jpg
    how do I do that? could not find any mention of setting for "dsp effect" anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by linkman View Post
    The big question is why use AIFF? Since you are trying to embed artwork you obviously aren't trying to create CDs from those files. Are you using some unusual software that requires AIFF? Since it's usually uncompressed it almost always has no advantages over FLAC.
    Yes the unusual software is iTunes which still doesn't play flac, lol. But I still prefer uncompressed which would leave me with choice of wav or aiff

Quote Originally Posted by rexwildman View Post
    how do I do that? could not find any mention of setting for "dsp effect" anywhere
    I found it , thanks for the help

next problem , conversion errors? whats the best procedure to correct tracks with missing metadata?

dBpoweramp Guru

Type them in.

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Type them in.

Dat Ei
    I clicked reconvert failed, then file on top right , then selected each track and F2 to edit. after all edited I ran convert and same error on all tracks.
    When you say type them in please be more specific , go step by step how you get it to work for you

thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey rexwildman,

I clicked reconvert failed, then file on top right , then selected each track and F2 to edit. after all edited I ran convert and same error on all tracks.
    When you say type them in please be more specific , go step by step how you get it to work for you
    I can try but therefor I need more detailed information from you, what the problem is. On one hand you wrote you have conversion errors (what kind of? what is the error message?) and on the other you wrote you have missing metadata. The latter can be fixed by editing the metadata before you rip a CD or convert a existing audio file, or edit directly the existing audio file.

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey rexwildman,

I can try but therefor I need more detailed information from you, what the problem is. On one hand you wrote you have conversion errors (what kind of? what is the error message?) and on the other you wrote you have missing metadata. The latter can be fixed by editing the metadata before you rip a CD or convert a existing audio file, or edit directly the existing audio file.

Dat Ei
    heres what came up, I checked each track and the source flac files are missing metadata but they are in folders with their respective album and artwork on the source side. Is there a way to force embbed the metadata from other tracks in the album folder like I did with folder.jpeg.? that would seem like easiest fix if possible. your thoughts?

Error converting to Aiff, 'J:\Music\311\311\01 - Down.flac' to '\\SYNOLOGY\Music\Nas Itunes 2\Automatically Add to iTunes\ 01 - Down.aif'
    Error reading metadata

Error converting to Aiff, 'J:\Music\311\311\02 - Random.flac' to '\\SYNOLOGY\Music\Nas Itunes 2\Automatically Add to iTunes\ 02 - Random.aif'
    Error reading metadata

Error converting to Aiff, 'J:\Music\311\Grassroots\07 - Taiyed.flac' to '\\SYNOLOGY\Music\Nas Itunes 2\Automatically Add to iTunes\ 07 - Taiyed.aif'
    Error reading metadata

Error converting to Aiff, 'J:\Music\ACDC\Blow Up Your Video\02 - That's the Way I Wanna Rock N Roll.flac' to '\\SYNOLOGY\Music\Nas Itunes 2\Automatically Add to iTunes\ 02 - That's the Way I Wanna Rock N Roll.aif'
    Error reading metadata

Error converting to Aiff, 'J:\Music\ACDC\Blow Up Your Video\01 - Heatseeker.flac' to '\\SYNOLOGY\Music\Nas Itunes 2\Automatically Add to iTunes\ 01 - Heatseeker.aif'
    Error reading metadata

Error converting to Aiff, 'J:\Music\ACDC\Blow Up Your Video\07 - Some Sin for Nuthin'.flac' to '\\SYNOLOGY\Music\Nas Itunes 2\Automatically Add to iTunes\ 07 - Some Sin for Nuthin'.aif'
    Error reading metadata

Error converting to Aiff, 'J:\Music\ACDC\Live 2CD Collectors Edition (2CD)\CD01\03 - Back In Black.flac' to '\\SYNOLOGY\Music\Nas Itunes 2\Automatically Add to iTunes\ 03 - Back In Black.aif'
    Error reading metadata

Administrator

The files will be corrupted, the error is a file processing error which happens at the point of reading metadata, there is no requirement for a FLAC file to have metadata.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yes the unusual software is iTunes which still doesn't play flac, lol. But I still prefer uncompressed which would leave me with choice of wav or aiff
    iTunes doesn't require AIFF for a lossless format. Wouldn't Apple Lossless be a better choice? Yes, it is compressed but like FLAC it doesn't lose any quality like MP3 does.