title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Possible to rip a CD and generate a FLAC and a mp3 file simultaneously?

Possible to rip a CD and generate a FLAC and a mp3 file simultaneously?

I'm using JRiver as my music player and have an iPod. I'd like to rip my huge CD collection to FLAC for quality listening -AND- to mp3 (lame) to load up my iPod. Can both file codecs be generated simultaneously from a single rip pass? Like I'd create two separate libraries, one for FLAC, one for mp3, filling them both at the same time. -Or- is it best to rip my CDs to FLAC first, THEN (somehow) copy them to mp3 for my iPod on-the-fly? New to this, appreciate any suggestions=)

edit: PC specs: Windows 10 / i7 4930K 6 core @ 4.2 GHz / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD for music library(s) / LG Blu-ray burner
    Last edited by Theleb_Kaarna; 01-14-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Administrator

Re: Possible to rip a CD and generate a FLAC and a mp3 file simultaneously?

Yes, set the encoder to 'Multi Encoder'

Spoon,

Could you please elaborate on your answer. I want to rip to FLAc and M4a but it is unclear how I tell the Ripper to select these specific encoders. Apoligies if it is obvious to more experienced users but I only download a trail version today. I like the programs but the ability to do the above is a key area to whether to purchase over EAC/MP3Tag. Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

As Spoon said: set the encoder to 'Multi Encoder' instead of 'Flac'. Within the Multi Encoder you can select and configure more than one encoder.

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    As Spoon said: set the encoder to 'Multi Encoder' instead of 'Flac'. Within the Multi Encoder you can select and configure more than one encoder.

Dat Ei
    I'm currently trying to accomplish a similar task (rip from cd to .wav and .mp3 simultaneously ) I made the switch to "multi encoder"and added .wav and .mp3 but I'm encountering errors similar to the following:

Error ripping to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 1' to 'B:\New Audio\DBpower\Robert Plant\Carry Fire\01 Robert Plant - The May Queen.IGNORE'
    Wave: Error unable to open File '[origdrive]R\Robert Plant\Carry Fire\01 Robert Plant / The May Queen.wav' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '[origdrive]R\Robert Plant\Carry Fire\01 Robert Plant / The May Queen.mp3' for writing. [clEncoder::BeginConversion]

I see whats wrong (I think) :Carry Fire\01 Robert Plant "-" The May Queen. VS Carry Fire\01 Robert Plant "/" The May Queen.mp3 but I'm not sure how to fix it. By the way, I am on the trial version, I've tried various settings under output to but I'm missing something .. just seems to be a naming convention issue, all help would be greatly appreciated
    Another note, I able to rip from CD to WAV as a single task without errors

Administrator

If using CD Ripper [origdrive] does not exist, as it means the source drive of existing files.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey 007james,

I don't know which trial version of dBpa you are using, but there has been a minor error in 16.2 in combination with the multi encoder (read this thread).

The next point is that you have to assign a destination path for each and every encoder you are using. As Spoon wrote [origdrive] isn't valid for CD Ripper.

Dat Ei