title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: OSX iTunes cd ripper separators

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

OSX iTunes cd ripper separators

After using dBpoweramp for Windows together with iTunes for quite some years, I have recently switched to OSX.

I can't seem to figure out which separator to use in the cd ripper for OsX. Under Windows10 when importing files into iTunes the separator ";" was automatically converted to "/". Under OsX however there are some strange effects

when I use ";" iTunes regards it as different value
    when I use "/" iTunes uses only the first value

examples
    -when I fill in three names in the Composer or Genre field and I use the separator that iTunes* uses ("/") it comprises only the first name in iTunes, *literally by copying the value from the iTunes field
    -when I use ";" as a separator, iTunes regards is as a different value (genre Dance/Disco/Post-Disco and different genre Dance;Disco;Post-Disco)

Another strange thing happens when I use ";" as a separator, the column in some tracks only shows one name, while in other tracks where the field also contains more than one name, it shows all names

Which separators should I use to the effect that the values inserted in dBpa are one on one copied to iTunes?

Regards, Thijs
    Last edited by Thijs_Alphen; 01-03-2017 at 06:22 AM.

Administrator

Re: OSX iTunes cd ripper separators

For which audio format?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I am Multi encoding to ALAC, WAV and FLAC. In iTunes I use ALAC

Quote Originally Posted by Thijs_Alphen View Post
    After using dBpoweramp for Windows together with iTunes for quite some years, I have recently switched to OSX.

I can't seem to figure out which separator to use in the cd ripper for OsX. Under Windows10 when importing files into iTunes the separator ";" was automatically converted to "/". Under OsX however there are some strange effects

when I use ";" iTunes regards it as different value
    when I use "/" iTunes uses only the first value

examples
    -when I fill in three names in the Composer or Genre field and I use the separator that iTunes* uses ("/") it comprises only the first name in iTunes, *literally by copying the value from the iTunes field
    -when I use ";" as a separator, iTunes regards is as a different value (genre Dance/Disco/Post-Disco and different genre Dance;Disco;Post-Disco)

Another strange thing happens when I use ";" as a separator, the column in some tracks only shows one name, while in other tracks where the field also contains more than one name, it shows all names

Which separators should I use to the effect that the values inserted in dBpa are one on one copied to iTunes?

Regards, Thijs

Administrator

iTunes does not support multi values.

If you include the DSP Effect 'ID Tag Processing' and set under manipulation:

Multiple Artists to 'Artist1; Artist2'

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you, Spoon for your quick reply. Sorry for not being clear enough.

In the first example I do not mean multiple values in one field, but one value (a sub genre) like "Dance/Disco/Post-Disco", iTunes does support such a value, however the separator I used in the Windows version ";" seems not to properly work under the OSX-version.

In the second example iTunes does support multiple values as in f.i. "Lennon/McCartney", at least for some years since I built my +30.000 tracks iTunes library. Again, the separator I used for this purpose in the Windows version does have some strange effects in the OSX version.

Hope you can help me out. If necessary, I can provide screenshots.

Regards, Thijs

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    iTunes does not support multi values.

If you include the DSP Effect 'ID Tag Processing' and set under manipulation:

Multiple Artists to 'Artist1; Artist2'

Super Moderator

Thanks for pointing the misbehavior out. Turns out to be actual bug in our MP4/M4A tag handler.

It is slashes that you want to use if you want iTunes to see the whole genre field. It was not the intended behavior that they were being replaced by something else, at least with the default settings.

dBpoweramp R16 beta 16 with this bug corrected will be posted shortly.

Update: beta posted-
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Mac-OS-X-beta
    Last edited by PeterP; 01-05-2017 at 08:58 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks very much for you quick solution!
    Regards,
    Thijs

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for pointing the misbehavior out. Turns out to be actual bug in our MP4/M4A tag handler.

It is slashes that you want to use if you want iTunes to see the whole genre field. It was not the intended behavior that they were being replaced by something else, at least with the default settings.

dBpoweramp R16 beta 16 with this bug corrected will be posted shortly.

Update: beta posted-
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-Mac-OS-X-beta