title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "Automatically Add to iTunes" not working ... AGAIN

Which version of iTunes are you currently using? I am also unclear how you can have 5 libraries for 1 user. For me, iTunes only creates a single library at the default location of C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\

To troubleshoot this issue and rule out any other underlying problems, I was suggesting (as in post no. 7 and post no. 14) ripping to a new (non Apple/iTunes) folder, eliminating the use of any Apple/iTunes library folders in the process, which is working for me.

Here are my relevant iTunes Preferences:

Could you try this, with the above settings and see if it works?

I would also say that in my experience of the world of Apple/iTunes, iTunes' tagging implementation and file handling is flawed. As Apple fix one bug, they create another. Only recently I had to report a bug to Apple, where, in certain circumstances, iTunes was deleting one of my tags. I only use iTunes for syncing files to my iPod Classic 160GB.

I am using iTunes version 12.5.4.42. I checked for updates last night & this is the current version.

Actually, you can indeed have multiple iTunes libraries. If you press the left shift key while clicking on the iTunes icon this will appear on your screen:

[hope that displays as an image]

As iTunes is not always responsive, you might have to repeat the action 2 or 3 times.

You can proceed from there. What you cannot have is more than one device assigned to a library. So, for my 5 libraries, I have 5 160 GB iPod Classics.

As for Advanced Preferences, mine are the same as yours, only I have update notification unselected.

As for your request that I try ripping to a temp folder outside the iTunes tree & then using "Add Folder ...", as I believe I said, I have already done so following the suggestion by GaryM. Last night I further experimented with the method as I was wrestling for maybe 4 hours, ultimately unsuccessfully, to get some content into the iTunes Library. I cannot detail for you all that I tried. All I can say is that this method may be working for you, but it is not for me. & even if it was, I would not be satisfied, because it requires more steps than should be necessary.

Over the past year, I have learned the hard way of iTunes' deficiencies & I am sick of it. I too only use it to sync my iPods. Everything else is done by dBpa.

Thanks very much for your input.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iGowanus68; 01-13-2017 at 09:47 AM.

I am using iTunes version 12.5.4.42. I checked for updates last night & this is the current version.

Actually, you can indeed have multiple iTunes libraries. If you press the left shift key while clicking on the iTunes icon, a dialogue box will appear presenting options to choose or create a library. As iTunes is not always responsive, you might have to repeat the action 2 or 3 times.

You can proceed from there. What you cannot have is more than one device assigned to a library. So, for my 5 libraries, I have 5 160 GB iPod Classics.

As for Advanced Preferences, mine are the same as yours, only I have update notification unselected.

As for your request that I try ripping to a temp folder outside the iTunes tree & then using "Add Folder ...", as I believe I said, I have already done so following the suggestion by GaryM. Last night I further experimented with the method as I was wrestling for maybe 4 hours, ultimately unsuccessfully, to get some content into the iTunes Library. I cannot detail for you all that I tried. All I can say is that this method may be working for you, but it is not for me. & even if it was, I would not be satisfied, because it requires more steps than should be necessary.

Over the past year, I have learned the hard way of iTunes' deficiencies & I am sick of it. I too only use it to sync my iPods. Everything else is done by dBpa.

Thanks very much for your input.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iGowanus68 View Post
    Actually, you can indeed have multiple iTunes libraries. If you press the left shift key while clicking on the iTunes icon, a dialogue box will appear presenting options to choose or create a library. As iTunes is not always responsive, you might have to repeat the action 2 or 3 times.

Interesting and useful to know. Thanks for that info.

dBpoweramp Guru

I assume then, that when you select the Add folder to Library... option, the Adding Files dialog box appears showing the files, but when complete, the ALAC tracks do not show in iTunes?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I assume then, that when you select the Add folder to Library... option, the Adding Files dialog box appears showing the files, but when complete, the ALAC tracks do not show in iTunes?
    No, there is no Adding Files dialog box -- there is nothing. I hope I made it clear that almost all of the 700 or so cd albums that I have ripped to iTunes were done by way of the "Automatically Add to iTunes" process. I only used the "Add Folder to Library" & on occasion the "Add File to Library" as a fallback when something went wrong.

I have been wondering whether I might have set some DSP settings incorrectly. Although, I think they are set the same as when the operation was working correctly. Since you rip to iTunes, would you tell me what "ReplayGain-Write" selection you choose. Mine is set for "Track, Album Gain & iTunes Album Normalization". I tried to insert an image of the dialog box with the menu opened, but it appears that I am not doing it correctly.

Thanks again.

ReplayGain - Write Settings.png

dBpoweramp Guru

I have been wondering whether I might have set some DSP settings incorrectly. Although, I think they are set the same as when the operation was working correctly. Since you rip to iTunes, would you tell me what "ReplayGain-Write" selection you choose. Mine is set for "Track, Album Gain & iTunes Album Normalization".
    I rip my CDs to the flac format. Then, I convert my flac library to mp3, for use in iTunes. Regarding ReplayGain, I use the Track, Album Gain & iTunes Album Normalization option.

If you can't manually add tracks to iTunes, either there is a problem with your audio files OR there is a problem with your iTunes setup/installation (but you probably realise that already).
    Last edited by mville; 01-13-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I rip my CDs to the flac format. Then, I convert my flac library to mp3, for use in iTunes. Regarding ReplayGain, I use the Track, Album Gain & iTunes Album Normalization option.

If you can't manually add tracks to iTunes, either there is a problem with your audio files OR there is a problem with your iTunes setup/installation (but you probably realise that already).
    I am pursuing it further with iTunes. I have a case open & I have been assured that it will go to the engineers. I have been down this road before. So, for now I wait & rip with iTunes.

Thanks again for your help.

dBpoweramp Guru

I am pursuing it further with iTunes. I have a case open & I have been assured that it will go to the engineers. I have been down this road before. So, for now I wait & rip with iTunes.

Thanks again for your help.
    I forget, is the drive where you are ripping files to (the "auto add to itunes" folder) a harddrive that is on your PC where you are ripping (as opposed to a NAS or some other network location other than the pc)?

Also, I personally wouldn't switch to ripping CDs with itunes. I'm sure you understand that itunes is not a "secure" ripper. I assume that's the reason you switched to dbpa for ripping in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I forget, is the drive where you are ripping files to (the "auto add to itunes" folder) a harddrive that is on your PC where you are ripping (as opposed to a NAS or some other network location other than the pc)?

Also, I personally wouldn't switch to ripping CDs with itunes. I'm sure you understand that itunes is not a "secure" ripper. I assume that's the reason you switched to dbpa for ripping in the first place.
    I am ripping to the PC hard drive, then backing up to a dedicated flash drive. For each iTunes library, I created a corresponding dBpa profile which maps the path to that library's "Automatically Add to ..." folder. Thus, the path for Library 1 is: Music\iTunes 1\iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes\. I do not know what a "NAS" is.

I have investigated further & found the following iTunes statement about the Auto Add folder: "The iTunes Media folder contains an 'Automatically Add to iTunes' folder. [picture showing the directory structure] When you put iTunes-compatible content in this folder, iTunes analyzes it for compatibility and then adds it to your iTunes library. If a file isn't compatible, iTunes places it in the Not Added folder." [emphasis added]

That is precisely what has been happening. Only now I know that it is by design & not some glitch. So, the question I am seeking an answer to is, why are ripped files that iTunes was analyzing & finding compatible suddenly (as of a couple weeks ago) being found incompatible? At the point the malfunction began, I was using a non-current version of iTunes (one that worked, whose cosmetics were acceptable & that I had downloaded from an iTunes website), but since then I have installed the current version (following iTunes' directions for uninstallation & reinstallation) & the malfunction persists. Did I inadvertently change some dbpa setting? Was it the result of the upgrade to R16? No, I upgraded after the fact.
    so, why?

It was following yours & others' strong recommendations that I switched to dbpa, even though it meant redoing one or two hundred CDs, & you were right -- dbpa is very much better. But now, since nothing else is working (including "Add Folder to ..."), I am using iTunes' CD import function with "Error Correction" selected & hoping for the best. I have so far spent a year on this project. I want it to be finished.
    Last edited by iGowanus68; 01-16-2017 at 02:18 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm out of ideas. I've never had an issue with itunes recognizing my files created in dbpa. I don't use apple lossless however. But I've not seen others with your issue either (and there are likely thousands of dbpa users that create apple lossless files).

A couple of things to confirm, in case you haven't yet:

1. Can you open and play these dbpa created apple lossless files on a player other than itunes (just to confirm the files play ok and don't have a problem). Use foobar2000 or VLC or some other player.
    2. As a test, what if you create mp3 files or m4a files with dbpa and put those in the "add to itunes folder". Do they work? Or do they fail too. Trying to see if this is a problem for only ALAC or all files.

Administrator

One of the tracks it cannot add, upload to dropbox please and Personal Mail me the link so I can check it out please.

Administrator

Thanks for the file, this file had an extension ._ and no ID Tags, normally when CD Ripper rips:

1) it rips to a ._ file
    2) it tags this file
    3) it renames the file to .m4a when completed

On your system something is jumping in between 1 and 2 and taking control of the file so it is not tagged and not renamed. You can set CD Ripper to rip to .m4a direct but this would not sort the missing tags. Do you have anti virus which is taking control of the files?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Thanks for the file, this file had an extension ._ and no ID Tags, normally when CD Ripper rips:

1) it rips to a ._ file
    2) it tags this file
    3) it renames the file to .m4a when completed

On your system something is jumping in between 1 and 2 and taking control of the file so it is not tagged and not renamed. You can set CD Ripper to rip to .m4a direct but this would not sort the missing tags. Do you have anti virus which is taking control of the files?
    I disabled all anti-virus & firewall protection & reripped the same cd. There was no difference in the result.

Administrator

Something on your system is stopping the rename, it is a simple file operation we cannot get it wrong....

Which folder to do you rip to? try ripping to a folder away from iTunes.

You can set CD Ripper to rip direct to .m4a with the option in CD Ripper >> options Menu >> CD Ripper Options and disable the option to rip to ._ files.