title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: mass removal of duplicate tracks

  1. #1

    mass removal of duplicate tracks

    I have just run PerfectTunes for the first time. It has found a large number of duplicate tracks. Should I mass delete them? Does that mean that all the copies in the various windows are deleted, leaving one copy behind? Also, what happens with RAID backup? I was surprised that that there are so many duplicates. Is it because the back up versions are also being picked up (i.e those on the second hard disc in my NAS drive)?

    A second issue relates to album art. I have gone through the process of selection album art for those that do not have any. That seems to have worked well in most cases. However, some albums have randomly been given album art for a different album. How has that happened? can I selectively correct them without running the programme again for the whole file?

    Also, when I ran the search for duplicates, some have been found with different album art. How has that happened?

    I would be great to get answers - and simple instructions for what to do.
    Thanks
    Tim

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    39,021

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    Many of your questions, only yourself can answer because it is your own music collection. You should not delete anything until you are certain where the duplicates are from. In the de-dup program, click the spanner icon top right and see which location is being index, it should be only 1 location, no your nas drive. The 'i' info button in dedup will show where the files are located for a detected duplicate.

    About album art, you can run it manually, that is for each album you click the 'fix' button next to the album, to just do that album.

  3. #3

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Many of your questions, only yourself can answer because it is your own music collection. You should not delete anything until you are certain where the duplicates are from. In the de-dup program, click the spanner icon top right and see which location is being index, it should be only 1 location, no your nas drive. The 'i' info button in dedup will show where the files are located for a detected duplicate.

    About album art, you can run it manually, that is for each album you click the 'fix' button next to the album, to just do that album.
    Thanks so much. I only want one copy of a file in my music collection (which is backed up on my NAS drive). The de-dup program suggests there are are many duplicates. I am not sure why that is.

    Also, I have been assuming that I am accessing my music library - which is in my NAS drive. However, your answer suggests that is not the case. So which 'library' is being read?

    The one in the NAS drive comes up in the window. If is is not actually reading that one, is PerfectTunes automatically only reading the one in my computer? If it is the one in the Synology NAS drive (which appears as DISKSTATION/music), is that affected by the back up of files on my second hard disc (you seem to suggest it is not)?

    So, if I just click delete all duplicates, what will happen? In each case two files appear in the windows. Will just one be deleted, or both?

    On correcting the art work - yes I know I can correct the individual ones that come up. However, not all albums come up when I use PerfectTunes (maybe because it is not actually read my DISKSTATION /music library). Yet, running PerfectTunes has inserted art in those albums that do not come up - sometimes wrongly, and I can't find a way of accessing them from PerfectTunes.

    Am I missing something basic? Doing something daft?
    Sorry if I am being thick.

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,362

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    perfect tunes is reading the library that you pointed the software to. You have to enter something. It could be your NAS. As spoon noted earlier, you should be able to click on these files or the i button and see exactly the computer path where the file is located. Could be your NAS, could be your backup, could be your local PC, or ?????.

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    39,021

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    For one of the duplicates click the 'i' and look where it says the folder is for that item, then click 'i' on the next item, what folder location is written?

    Or if you want to see the location of all duplicates, click the spanner icon top right >> Export Duplicate List

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,635

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    I only want one copy of a file in my music collection (which is backed up on my NAS drive). The de-dup program suggests there are are many duplicates. I am not sure why that is.
    Probably because you have included both your music collection location and the music collection backup location in PerfectTunes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    Also, I have been assuming that I am accessing my music library - which is in my NAS drive. However, your answer suggests that is not the case. So which 'library' is being read?
    It is not possible to answer this question. It is the location(s) that YOU configure in PerfectTunes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    The one in the NAS drive comes up in the window. If is is not actually reading that one, is PerfectTunes automatically only reading the one in my computer? If it is the one in the Synology NAS drive (which appears as DISKSTATION/music), is that affected by the back up of files on my second hard disc (you seem to suggest it is not)?
    Spoon is not suggesting anything, only advising you NOT to delete anything until you are absolutely sure you know what you are deleting and how to configure the location that is being indexed in PerfectTunes De-Dup.

    Please can you post a screenshot of what you have showing in PerfectTunes Music Library?

  7. #7

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    perfecttunes.jpg

    Here is a screenshot as requested. As you see, DISKSTATION/Music is indicated. I left it running overnight, and it seems to to have connected to that library. It has now corrected the album art. I am not sure what the problem was. Maybe it was just very slow - although there are only about 40 cd albums in the library. Possibly, it will help if I plug my computer directly into the NAS drive.

    My concern about mass deleting duplicates remains. As far as i can see, everything I have put in my DISKSTATION music library has been duplicated. There are two copies of everything showing. My suspicion is that what I am seeing is one that shows in my library when i open it, and one that is on the second WD Red hard drive, which the NAS drive uses for backing up all files. Does that make sense? If so, having two copies of everything in PerfectTunes is OK. However, it would be better if I can do as suggested - i.e. that I do not include the back up files in PerfectTunes. How do I do that?

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,635

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    DISKSTATION/Music is indicated. I left it running overnight, and it seems to to have connected to that library. It has now corrected the album art. I am not sure what the problem was. Maybe it was just very slow - although there are only about 40 cd albums in the library. Possibly, it will help if I plug my computer directly into the NAS drive.

    My concern about mass deleting duplicates remains. As far as i can see, everything I have put in my DISKSTATION music library has been duplicated. There are two copies of everything showing. My suspicion is that what I am seeing is one that shows in my library when i open it, and one that is on the second WD Red hard drive, which the NAS drive uses for backing up all files. Does that make sense? If so, having two copies of everything in PerfectTunes is OK. However, it would be better if I can do as suggested - i.e. that I do not include the back up files in PerfectTunes. How do I do that?
    DISKSTATION/Music is indicated twice, which might explain why you are seeing duplicates.

    Also, you have configured 2 other locations. Only you will know what is contained in these locations, but if you have copies of your files within these locations, this might also explain why you are getting duplicates.

    If you are sure that your audio files are in DISKSTATION/Music, I suggest you start again, removing ALL locations (and maybe clear database cache). Then, Add Folder again for DISKSTATION/Music, so this is your only indexed location.

    I'm not entirely sure why PerfectTunes allows users to add duplicate locations, but maybe Spoon can comment on this.
    Last edited by mville; 09-18-2016 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Dupliacte locations reference

  9. #9

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    Thanks. I could try that, but the second configuration of Diskstation was put in only last night. I did that to see if I started again and left it on overnight it would work better. It did.
    However, the duplicate tracks are the same as they were before. As far as i can tell, no more have been added. It is basically just an extra copy of everything.

  10. #10
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,362

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    Thanks. I could try that, but the second configuration of Diskstation was put in only last night. I did that to see if I started again and left it on overnight it would work better. It did.
    However, the duplicate tracks are the same as they were before. As far as i can tell, no more have been added. It is basically just an extra copy of everything.
    Can you temporarily unplug the 2nd drive in your NAS (the one that contains the backup*) and then rerun de-dup?

    *EDIT: "backup" is not quite correct. I hope you know that RAID is *not* a backup. It is a data redundancy that reduces downtime (useful for banks, shopping websites, etc.). But it certainly is not a backup, so I hope you have a separate backup of your files. Google "why raid is not a backup" if you'd like more info or to read some horror stories of people who thought RAID was useful as a backup.
    Last edited by garym; 09-18-2016 at 08:52 AM.

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    39,021

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    You should not have your music folder and discstation at the same time, there should be only 1 item listed under library.

  12. #12

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    Many thanks. I have now managed to run mass removal on just my Diskstation and it worked. I also managed to correct the album art. However, 34 files continued to show as duplicated, and when I trued to delete them, a message said I could not do so, and should check if I have permission. I assumed that was because of some sort of 'fix' I had used. So - perhaps unwisely - I clicked 'clear data base cache'. That certainly worked in removing the duplicates, but it also means that no albums at all now appear in PerfectTunes. The stuff is still in my music library. Can you explain what i have done? Is is a problem.

    Also, something that has persisted after running PerfectTunes is that most of my library is in folders and albums. However, quite a few files seem not to be, and just show as individual tracks. Is there an explanation for that? Does it matter? I have done the same thing in all cases - i.e. ripped CD albums as whole albums and inserted album art if it has not immediately shown. so it is not clear to me why all the files are not in folders.

  13. #13
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,635

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    Many thanks. I have now managed to run mass removal on just my Diskstation and it worked. I also managed to correct the album art. However, 34 files continued to show as duplicated, and when I trued to delete them, a message said I could not do so, and should check if I have permission. I assumed that was because of some sort of 'fix' I had used.
    What fix are you referring to?


    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    So - perhaps unwisely - I clicked 'clear data base cache'. That certainly worked in removing the duplicates, but it also means that no albums at all now appear in PerfectTunes. The stuff is still in my music library. Can you explain what i have done? Is is a problem.
    You will need to allow PerfectTunes to re-scan your library and re-build the database.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    Also, something that has persisted after running PerfectTunes is that most of my library is in folders and albums. However, quite a few files seem not to be, and just show as individual tracks. Is there an explanation for that? Does it matter? I have done the same thing in all cases - i.e. ripped CD albums as whole albums and inserted album art if it has not immediately shown. so it is not clear to me why all the files are not in folders.
    Have you checked whether these orphaned files reside in the correct album folders or perhaps the album tags are incorrect for these files. You will need to check, manually.

  14. #14

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    Thanks.

    I thought the reference to 'fixes' in the instructions would be where album art and duplicates etc had to be inserted through PerfectTunes.

    When I allow PerfectTunes to rescan my library, it says there are no albums.... But they are there when i look in my library, and when I play them.

    As far as i can tell the orphaned files are in the folders too.

    I have tried deleting my library from the PerfectTunes window, and then reinserting it. That seems to be doing something.
    Last edited by Tim Allen; 09-25-2016 at 07:13 AM. Reason: tried something else

  15. #15
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,635

    Re: mass removal of duplicate tracks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    As far as i can tell the orphaned files are in the folders too.
    I expect the tags for these files are incomplete. You will need to compare the tags for all the files for the album and make sure, where applicable, that they are the same.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •