title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Migrating to a new computer

Migrating to a new computer

Hi all!

I just purchased a new computer due to a complete hardware failure. Awesome.

Anyways, does anyone know if there is a way to transfer all of my preferences to the new computer since I have all the associated files from a backup? I have already freshly reinstalled Poweramp. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to go through that process again.

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Migrating to a new computer

Thanks mville!

I do see my settings files in my backup files from my old Windows 7 computer, but I'm not seeing the same location on my new Windows 10 computer.

My situation is that my new computer is now Windows 10 instead of 7, and I upgraded from v15 to v16 in the process of migrating. Any thought on where it might be located on the new computer?

Thanks!

Administrator

Open Windows file explorer and type:

%appdata%

into the address bar

Thank you!

So, is it correct to assume that if I copy all of the files from my old computer into this space, replacing the old ones, I'll be good to go?

Administrator

Just the dBpoweramp folder

Sorry to keep dragging this out... when I did this, my expanded genre list etc. transferred over. However, none of my DSP effects, file write locations for my different conversions and CD ripper did not transfer over. Thoughts?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Corbatadog View Post
    So, is it correct to assume that if I copy all of the files from my old computer into this space, replacing the old ones, I'll be good to go?
    No. Most of the dBpoweramp settings are stored in the registry, so you will need to have access to the old Windows registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate and be familiar with editing/updating the registry.

NB. Always backup your registry, before editing it as this can cause problems with your system.

Awesome. Thanks everyone!!