title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Multiple Artists and Semicolons

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BertL
    • May 2016

Multiple Artists and Semicolons

I'm puzzled and must be doing something wrong.

Using CD Ripper 15.8 for Mac (same result in 16b10). I have albums that find multiple Artists, Composers, etc as I look in the Metadata panel. The left side of that inspection panel for the album shows artists like "Tony Bennett; Dixie Chicks" for each track. Great. Multiple artists or composers show correctly at the top of the CD Ripper album panel as I scroll down in the track listing, but corresponding multiple artists do not show in the Artists column on that same panel as it should -- only the first artist prior to the semicolon. When the CD is actually Ripped, only the first artist is placed into the metadata. If I manually change the semicolon to a comma before Ripping, all is well, e.g. "Tony Bennett, Dixie Chicks" both displays correctly in the Artist column and appears in the metadata.

Is there an option I'm missing or have selected somewhere that will get CD Ripper to code the metadata correctly, or is this a bug related to handling of semicolons? THANKS in advance.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Multiple Artists and Semicolons

If it is not showing in CD Ripper then it will not write them, to be certain you are looking at 'Artist' not 'Album Artist' which is different to the artist in the track listing.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BertL
      • May 2016

OK, let's try this. Here's screen shots.

In the two "Semicolon" examples, note use of semicolon separating (track) artist names. Also note how only the first artist is shown in the Artist column of the vertical track listing display. If I rip this as-is, only the first artist is written to metadata matching the artist column in the track listing display.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Semicolon 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	293254 Click image for larger version

Name:	Semicolon 2.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	293255

If I then change the semicolon to a comma in any of the locations on either panel, (track) artist in the vertical column immediately changes to show in this case both artists, and if I rip the CD, metadata contains both artists separated by the comma as it should.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Colon 1.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	293256

It's the same issue with Composer. I've not tried other fields to see if the same condition exists there.

Thanks for your help.
      Last edited by BertL; 12-07-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

not sure it matters,but what file format are you ripping to? FLAC? ALAC? or ???

Comment

• BertL
          • May 2016

Apple Lossless

Comment

• PeterP
            Super Moderator
            • Jul 2011

The bug has been fixed for the next R16 update, thanks for reporting.

From the looks of it, it's just a display glitch in the table view - if multiple artists are present, only the first one gets shown, but the actual metadata being written should be fine.

Comment

• BertL
              • May 2016

Originally posted by PeterP
              The bug has been fixed for the next R16 update, thanks for reporting.

From the looks of it, it's just a display glitch in the table view - if multiple artists are present, only the first one gets shown, but the actual metadata being written should be fine.
              Thank you. FYI, IMHO it's not just a display problem, as multiple artists separated by semicolons will only place the first artist in the actual Ripped metadata. The workaround is to manually check each field in the metadata inspection panel and change semicolons to colons. Rather meticulous and prone to errors, so I look forward to R16!

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

How are you checking the multiple artists?

If you take a file ripped >> right click >> services >> Edit Tag in dBpoweramp

does it show correctly?

It could be your player is not compatible with multiple artists (such as iTunes)
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BertL
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by Spoon
                  How are you checking the multiple artists?

If you take a file ripped >> right click >> services >> Edit Tag in dBpoweramp

does it show correctly?

It could be your player is not compatible with multiple artists (such as iTunes)
                  THANK YOU.

Yes, I was using iTunes and a Mac tool called Metadatics to edit metadata. Seems they don't like to display multiple artists separated by semicolons, but the metadata when viewed via dBpoweramp is there.

Since I use iTunes and iOS players most of the time, is there a way in dBpoweramp to replace the semicolons with colons everywhere? Perhaps via ID Tag Processing and replace all ; with , ?

Thanks again.

Comment

• BertL
                    • May 2016

Found my own answer. I'll just use the ID Tag Processing Multiple Artists... option to make the multiple artists (and multiple composers) go onto a single line so the non-conforming apps are happy and display the contents within their interfaces. THANKS AGAIN for such a terrific application. There are NONE better!

Comment

Working...

]]>