title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Volume Normalize

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keithdowling
    • Mar 2014

Volume Normalize

Hi All, hoping someone has the answer to the following: My music is on an external drive, I ran it through the volume normalize process to get rid of a lot of the volume inconsistencies (from album to album, file to file etc) and I set it at 0 dB but the little box that is for amplification (showing 8 in the example in dBPoweramp) I couldn't see any indication of what is the best/optimal setting for this - so I used 8. Is this OK or is there a better setting/number for this "amplification" option?

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Volume Normalize

what exact settings do you have on the volume normalize page?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• keithdowling
      • Mar 2014

EBU R 128 (track gain) Desired volume set to max )dB Maximum amplification set to 8

Comment

• keithdowling
        • Mar 2014

whoops that should have read: 0dB not ")dB"

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

The max amplification option is just an option to stop silence being amplified up too much, so it is x8 maximum in your case.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• keithdowling
            • Mar 2014

would it not be better to use a lesser number than 8. If it is really concerned with the amplification of silence - why would we want to amplify that at all?
            Surely there comes a point when you amplify what was intended as silence (on a recording etc) that said silence becomes hiss.??

Wouldn't zero be a better number to use?

Thanks spoon

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

8x on near silence would not normally become hiss. However quiet tracks could easily be amplified by x4 or x6. x8 sounds a lot, but audio is perceived logarithmically.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>