title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asset for QNAP - Memory Leak

Question Asset for QNAP - Memory Leak

Hi there!

Since I upgraded my Asset Premium to R5, I have a strange problem...

After the NAS was sitting idle for >= 3 days, the browsing of music on my iPad gets unusable slow. When I log in the QNAP with the Qmanager App, it shows me the RAM in red and on 97% full! Then I do a restart of Asset in it's Browser config. page. Afterwards the RAM goes down green and back to normal. Now I can browse music back with normal speed.

That's a tedious procedure to go through, before you have access to your music. I tried to deinstall and reinstall Asset R5 and reboot the QNAP, without success. It's a HS-251 fanless NAS with 2 Samsung Pro SSD and actual firmware 4.2.2 from the 1st of Sept. 2016. It is used only as music-storage in the living room for the big HiFi system. All unnecessary services and apps are switched off (if possible), only Apple Networking (store music), SSH (for emergency) and Asset (play music) are active. Never had a problem before with this setup...

Is there an Asset 5.0.1 with a fix within reach or could I try to go back to the last 4.7.1 version that I have?
    Thank you for your ideas.

Administrator

Re: Asset for QNAP - Memory Leak

How many music tracks do you have? how much memory does your nas have?

Library Contains 10752 Tracks, 811 Albums. The NAS has it's standard 1 GB RAM, no extensions. (In the GUI it shows 891 MB.)

I went back to Asset 4.7.1 yesterday and had the RAM filled up already today. It didn't do that before! Usualy the RAM is around 15%.

Could have something gone wrong at the first Asset 5 update? I did stop Asset 4, but not deinstall it (thought the config. could be deleted with it).
    Or with the last ONAP firmware update I did at the same time? But it was only a new build of the 4.2.2 version. Both installations went normal without errors..

Did I get the right download? Since Asset 4.3 (when I started with it), they had all "_x86_64" in the file name. With the 5.0 download, this has gone away.
    Last edited by NaimGaim; 10-16-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the bug report, the problem is being investigated.

You do have the correct version for your device, we no longer provide multiple QNAP packages as it created unnecessary confusion - you now get one QPKG that contains binaries for every supported architecture, and it installs the right thing based on detected specifications of your QNAP unit.

Super Moderator

Is there anything special about your music library? Large album cover files for an example?

It would be most helpful if you could use "download configuration dump" feature of the configuration page, and email the file it produces to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis - then I can hopefully recreate the problematic scenario on my development system.

Thanks.

What is "special"? I'd say no from my view. But since you asked about cover pictures...

I use dBpoweramp for Mac for the ripping and basic tagging. Who want's to have 300x300 stamp size pixelated covers on a big high-res tablet display? I prefer 1000x1000 and up. Depending how exotic the album is, and what cover I find on the internet I have sure tagged bigger ones like 2400x2400 on the upper limit. But I don't know the max. Is there a limit in what Asset can handle?

All of the newer files are uncompressed AIFF. Some older files ripped by iTunes are still in AAC, but will gradually replaced by new rips. Both types with integrated cover pictures (no separate .jpg files in the music folders). Although I have seen that e.g. HDtracks sometimes have .pdf booklets coming along.

When I have to re-tag manually after dBpoweramp ripping, or after high-res buys, I use Yate for it. Seems to be the best macOS tool for this job - https://2manyrobots.com/

I have sent you the config. dump. on your mail above. Hope it helps.

Thanks, Adrian.

This weekend I saw a new QNAP Firmware from the 4.2.2 series -> build 20161021. Hoped it could help, updated the NAS and also updated Asset back to R5.

The RAM usage seems to be higher in normal standby. Around 50% (from 15% before!) after reboot or Asset restart, and goes slower up than before. The RAM is at 74% after about 23 hours.

@Peter: Uploaded new, larger dump to ftp address you stated in email.
    Last edited by NaimGaim; 10-24-2016 at 08:31 AM.

This weekend I saw a new QNAP Firmware from the 4.2.2 series -> build 20161021. Hoped it could help, updated the NAS and also updated Asset back to R5.

The RAM usage seems to be higher in normal standby. Around 50% (from 15% before!) after reboot or Asset restart, and goes slower up than before. The RAM is at 74% after about 23 hours.

@Peter: Uploaded new, larger dump to ftp address you stated in email. Hope this one is useful.

Btw. Is it an additional load to Asset, if I leave a browser tab with the config. page open?
    It seems to update it every few seconds, even if it is in the background...!

To Peter: Uploaded new, larger dump to ftp address you stated in email. Hope this one is useful.

I have been running the trial version of Asset on my QNAP TS-451+ (8GB RAM) for a couple of years with no problems. I recently upgraded to the premium version and now find that the QNAP is reporting 97% RAM usage by Asset after a couple of days, even if no devices have been streaming music over the network in that time. If I stop Asset the RAM usage returns to normal (about 8%) after a couple of minutes. I have emailed the dump file to peter as above.

I have 5141 tracks in 332 Albums. QNAP firmware version is 4.3.4.0483

Presently feeling that I have wasted my money on "Premium" and should have stuck with the trial version....

(PS - The "QNAP Asset specifics" sticky appears to be somewhat out of date...)
    Last edited by RSrider; 02-25-2018 at 06:18 AM.

As a test I've removed the Premium version and re-installed the trial version. Will report back in due course.

I think I've found what was causing the issue - with both Trial and Premium versions if I configure Asset to stream FLAC files as WAV then after a couple of days Asset is using all of the NAS's RAM, even if no streaming has actually taken place. I've now re-installed Premium and set it to stream FLAC "as is". Seems to be a bug somewhere?

Super Moderator

Bug acknowledged, thanks for reporting. It will be fixed for the next update.

Super Moderator

@RSrider,

[EDIT seems my email bounces back, so here it is]

I'd like to get some additional information from your system, if possible:
    - Get the latest version of Asset posted just today - https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...for-Mac-Linux* - it corrects a debug information extraction glitch present in earlier R6 versions
    - Enable debug logging in settings
    - Leave the problematic Asset configuration running for a couple of hours - no need to reach full mem usage, approx. 100MB is good enough, get the UPnP debug log, email to me.
    - Make a new configuration snapshot - using beta3 this time - and email it to me as well.
    Last edited by PeterP; 03-04-2018 at 08:11 AM.