title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Convert Stereo FLAC to Mono FLAC

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Convert Stereo FLAC to Mono FLAC

I have had the stereo version of The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings) for years, and have always been disappointed in the extreme separation of the left and right channels. This was apprarently the thing to do when some of the recordings were originally issued (see here for a discussion on the topic). I have been searching for a method to convert these stereo recordings to mono so I could have this set without buying it again.

Based on some searching, I was wondering if this post does the trick? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Convert Stereo FLAC to Mono FLAC

Include the DSP effect 'Channel Count' set to 1 and convert flac >> flac

dBpoweramp Guru

A word of advice, that this won't give you The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings) in mono, rather, a mono version of The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings) Stereo, and the level of the vocals and instruments will still differ from the The Beatles in Mono mixes.

If you really want to hear the original mono mixes, you will have to obtain The Beatles in Mono.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    A word of advice, that this won't give you The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings) in mono, rather, a mono version of The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings) Stereo, and the level of the vocals and instruments will still differ from the The Beatles in Mono mixes.

If you really want to hear the original mono mixes, you will have to obtain The Beatles in Mono.
    I thought that might be the case. However, can you tell my what would be the sonic difference between the two? In other words, will left and right be different and if so, by a little or a lot. The stereo version, as has been widely reported, is quite extreme (what were they thinking?).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by David W View Post
    can you tell my what would be the sonic difference between the two? In other words, will left and right be different and if so, by a little or a lot.
    Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking?

Administrator

The end file will be mono, just a different mono to the official mono recordings.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The end file will be mono, just a different mono to the official mono recordings.
    I think I now understand what you may be getting at... From Wikipedia:

Sometimes mono sound or monaural can simply refer to a merged pair of stereo channels - also known as "collapsed stereo" or "folded-down stereo". Over time some devices have used mono sound amplification circuitry with two or more speakers since it can cut the cost of the hardware. Some consumer electronics with stereo RCA outputs have a microswitch in the red RCA output (i.e., the right stereo channel) that disables merging of stereo sound into the white (left stereo channel) RCA output. Common devices with this are VCRs, DVD/Blu-ray players, information appliances, set-top boxes, and the like. Video game consoles sometimes have male RCA ends of cables with a proprietary multi-A/V plug on the other end, which prevents automatic stereo merging unless adapters are used.

Disadvantages of merged stereo involve phase cancellations that may have the effect of muffling the final sound output. If channels are merged after being sent through a power amplifier but before being connected to a loudspeaker, it places more stress on the loudspeaker. It has usually been the practice in recording studios to make separate mixes for mono recordings (rather than folded-down stereo-to-mono), so that the final mono master will avoid the pitfalls of collapsed stereo. In video games, merging stereo to mono sound prevents player from discerning what direction distant SFX are coming from, and reverse stereo has a similar setback too. Having an array of loudspeakers connected to their own amplifier outputs can mitigate issues with the electrical load for a single loudspeaker coil and allow the listener to perceive an "image" of sound in the free space between the speakers.
    Back to square one, or perhaps I do need to consider the mono box set