title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Cambridge Audio NP30 and UPnP

Cambridge Audio NP30 and UPnP

Hi everyone, as a keen music lover and an "ole Fart" retiree (70+) I have just had to replace my dead Logitech Squeezebox. My generous kids bought me an NP30 and I'm having issues with it reading my music (mp3) accurately by "Genre". All my files have ID3 tags generated by MediaMonkey on my Apple iMac but each UPnP/DLNA server software I've tried (Plex, Serviio, UMS, etc) either makes setup very complex (or is it just my old grey cells?) or gives me random play of all my tracks no matter which genre I choose. They all seem to be designed mainly for video streaming. I'm trialling Asset in the hope that I can "simply" enjoy my reasonably large music collection (8,600 tracks) by genre, to suit my particular mood. This was very easy with the Squeezebox but it only lasted 8 years :0). My tracks are set up in folders such as "Blues", "Oldies", "Easy Listening", "Popular Hits", etc, and have been loaded into Asset. They are contained on an "always on" external Firewire 800 hard drive as is my complete library in a folder named "All Trax", which again have full artwork and ID3 tags appended. Am I doing something basically wrong or was the NP30 not a good choice? It sounds very good through my Yamaha/Jamo audio setup, so I would appreciate some advice/assistance before the trial runs out so that I can hopefully get my music back into a rather "silent" home.

Administrator

Re: Cambridge Audio NP30 and UPnP

What exact issues are you facing? getting Asset to index your music?

Hi Spoon, thanks for getting back to me. The issue is that I am not sure how to "present" my music to Asset. There are 2 ways I can do it from existing files on my Mac. 1. All tracks with MediaMonkey ID3 tagging or 2. Individual folders based on the music's genre, again with ID3 tagging. My NP30 also locates my Logitech Media Server (LMS) but has trouble playing the music correctly (very slow to find and more random than genre specific). It also detects my iTunes media folder but again has similar issues to LMS. I just want to know if I'm "confusing" Asset by having all these music sources "loaded" and which is the best way to just simply play my music by Genre (most often used) or by artist (occasionally). I prefer the "folder" method as this does away with playlists in my case. Your comments/guidance would be appreciated.

Administrator

Open Asset >> Configure

and click 'Add Folder', then browse to your Firewire drive and add this drive to the library view.

Click 'Apply changes and close'. On the status page you should see it indexing the tracks, then show the correct track count.

Thanks. Removed all other servers on trial, and their folders, and just added the ones I want Asset to use and all seems fine now. Will run like this for a few days to see if any other anomalies occur. Thanks for your help as this, along with the Cambridge Audio NP30, seems to be just what I was looking for as a replacement for the obsolete Squeezebox player. Not quite as simple for an "Oldie" to operate, but close, and gives me superb sound once again. Cheers.