title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Static bursts between tracks

Static bursts between tracks

Greetings,

This is my first post. I've been using dbpoweramp to convert files and rip numerous CDs for a number of years and have come to depend on it as a tool that does many jobs well. I spent some time searching through the forum but did not find an answer to my particular question. If it has been answered and I just missed it, please forgive me.

I recently updated to the latest version and since then have ripped a couple of CDs so I could listen to them on my SanDisk music player. I rip the files as stereo waves. I had been doing this for a number of years with my old version of dbpoweramp without any problems, but with these first two rips with the new version, I get short loud bursts of static between tracks when listening on the SanDisk player. There are no issues with the actual audio, just the "space" between tracks. Again, I never had this problem before using these CD/DVD devices or this music player.

It "feels" to me like this is a playback issue and I'm hoping this is a matter of changing some setting in the new dbpoweramp to remove whatever problem is being caused for the player, but I poked around and didn't see anything I recognized as being applicable (I am by no means fully conversant in this technology). In case it matters, I'm running Windows 7. I don't know the manufacturer of the disc reader/writers, but each is listed in the control panel as ATAPI iHAS324 ATA Device. Both defective rips were read off one of the devices. Have not tried it in the second device yet.

TIA fir any enlightenment you can provide,

moondog

Administrator

Re: Static bursts between tracks

The issue is the sandisk is playing the ID tags contained in the wave files as audio, so it is not reading the wave file as per microsofts specification. You can set dBpoweramp (in the control centre >> codec options) to not write any id tags for wave files.

Re: Static bursts between tracks

Thank you so much for your reply. I did some more online poking around last night from the Sandisk side and came up with the same answer. I didn't think that was it at first because the player has handled WAVs ripped from dbpoweramp with no problems for years. On the suggestion of some other Sandisk users (who say that, despite the specs saying it does, the player does NOT like WAVs), I tried ripping the same disc as FLACs and they played fine even though I didn't change anything regarding the tags.

I have to assume that the new version of dbpoweramp I just loaded must handle tags differently somehow and the player can't deal with it.

Either way, I now have two solutions and so I thank you again for your response.

And before I go, I must say again, dbpoweramp is a fantastic tool. A linchpin of my audio life. Thank you.

moondog