title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Secure ripping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sg60
    • May 2003

Secure ripping

I've changed my settings so CDs will be ripped using the secure method. However, when I ripped a CD only one pass was made. My understanding is that there should be at least three passes. Am I missing something?
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Secure ripping

Did the CD rip accurately (with any AccurateRip confidence)?

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
      Did the CD rip accurately (with any AccurateRip confidence)?
      yep, if you get an AR match, you only do one pass. That's the beauty of the AR system!

Comment

• sg60
        • May 2003

That must be the case then because it is reporting them as accurate with a confidence level. Thanks for the explanation. How do the confidence levels work? I couldn't quite figure that out from the documentation.

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

If AccurateRip reports 'Accurate (12)' next to the track, this means your rip was matched with 12 other people's rips, so the confidence number is 12.

Ideally, you want the confidence to be greater than 1, so to potentially rule out any compare against a previous rip by yourself.
          Last edited by mville; 09-18-2016, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by sg60
            That must be the case then because it is reporting them as accurate with a confidence level. Thanks for the explanation. How do the confidence levels work? I couldn't quite figure that out from the documentation.
            AR(100) is actually no better than AR(2). I think AR quits counting after AR(200). The number in the parentheses is just how many other people that ripped the same CD have the exact same file CRCs as your rip. So if you get AR(2), that means that two other people, with different copies of the CD, using different computers and drives, obtained the exact same digital bits as you in your own rip. Even only two matches are very confirmatory of a bit perfect rip. I'd even say AR(1) is good enough, assuming that you are not comparing back to your own rip (that is, you rip the CD, then 6 months later you re-rip the CD for some reason). In this case the AR(1) could be a match against your original rip. But an AR(2) would not be counting your original rip (if on the same machine).

So for first time rips, an AR(1) is high quality evidence that you have a bit perfect rip. AR(200) just means a lot of people ripped the CD and you match them all. But in reality, as mentioned, even an AR(2) is all one needs.

Comment

• sg60
              • May 2003

Understood. Thanks to both of you for the explanations.

Comment

Working...

]]>