title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Multiple album art is not written to the folder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Jan 2016

Multiple album art is not written to the folder

When I select multiple album art (for example, when I have a 6-CD Box I like to have the cover of each single CD as "Cover.jpg" and the cover of the entire box as "Cover1.jpg" in the folder of each of the 6 CDs. When I add multiple art using CD-Ripper, only one file (the first added art) is written to the folder when I rip the CD. Where is the point of being able to add multiple covers, if only one is written?
    I cannot say if it would work if I wrote the art into metadata since that is not an option for me. I do not wish to blow up my audio files with the 2500x2500 pixels @~2,5MB album art files I generate using my DSLR (12 tracks x 2,5MB art metadata = 27,5MB of wasted space per CD per cover).

Is there a way to disable the automatic lookup of album art by the way? I always use my own files and never the ones downloaded from the internet.
    Therefore the change in design from the green "+" and the red "-" to add or remove art to: "...", "Delete Selected Art" and: "...", "Load From File" is a flaw in my opinion. I now have to click 4 times (having to bear with 2 drop-down lists) instead of 3 times (with only 1 drop-down list) to remove the automatically looked up art and select my own. Maybe it looks "cleaner" now or whatever "brilliant" idea was the reason to change the design in ineffective ways. (And yes, 1 click and 1 drop-down list per CD are annoying, when you are dealing with more than just a few hundred CDs.)

I find it a little annoying, that you cannot (since version 16.0 or 16.1) simply dock the CD-Ripper window under Windows 10 by dragging it to the edges of the desktop with the cursor. I helped myself using "Windows" + "Arrow Keys" (since that still works).

Just a little bug now that I think of it:
    You can edit the line under the last track of a CD (e.g. the line under track 12 on a 12-track CD). If you write something and then click "Rip", the program crashs.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Multiple album art is not written to the folder

Multiple album arts are never really supported by anything, CD ripper allows addition of multiple arts and they are embedded in the files (all arts). It sounds in your instance as you add your own art, you would be best adding after ripping and setting CD Ripper not to write any album art.

You are the first person I have come across to want Cover.jpg, Cover1.jpg, Cover2.jpg
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Jan 2016

I thought multiple art was common for serious collectors/music fans. In my experience, often the entire booklet is scanned to preserve all information digitally.

Mediamonkey supports multiple art. Add 10 album art pictures before ripping and you afterwards find them all in the folder named as configured beforehand.
      Flicking between the different art for one album is also possible afterwards. That's why I thought CD-Ripper would do the same. Since it is possible to add multiple art (it did not cross my mind that it would only save all art if I enabled writing art to tags).

I take a photo of every CD-cover I rip with my DSLR (constant light condition, colour calibration and so on) since lots of old/rare covers are not at all online (or tiny 200x200 thumbnails). Therefore my disappointment when I found out that only one art is written to folder (I put a lot of effort into the album art).
      I don't think it would be that hard to include a function that writes all the added album art to the outputfolder naming it x1 x2 x3... in the order it was added.
      Mediamonkey can do it (though its inferiority to CD-Ripper in a lot of other ways)).

Earlier I used to save album art to the metadata. That blew my files up (2-3MB per song and cover) and even after deleting the art from the metadata, the extended metadata-area did not shrink back to the default value, so I had to rewrite/convert all my files (we are talking 6 digit numbers here) from .flac to .flac to a new folder and then copy the shrinked files back. That saved me (after about 2 weeks of work and struggle) >300GB of space on my hard drives.

Adding the art by hand after ripping is also not an option for me. I rip with 7 drives at once and often >100CDs a day. Having to browse each subfolder and then having to copy and rename the specific art/arts by hand is just a waste of time and nerves imho.

Other open questions concerning CD-Ripper:
      Why no individually configurable shortcuts (or shortcuts at all)?
      Is it possible to prevent the automatic cover-lookup?
      Where is the right place to report bugs like the crashing programm when adding line 13 on a 12 track CD or the impossible window-docking by mouse under Windows 10?

PS:
      I think I might have unintentionally reposted this post today. I thought I failed to submit this post yesterday morning because I had to relog when I tried to post it and it did not show up even a day later. If thats the case, I'm sorry and I would be glad if the post from today would be deleted.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by 655321
        Other open questions concerning CD-Ripper:
        Why no individually configurable shortcuts (or shortcuts at all)?
        Clarify what you mean by "shortcuts"

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

If you reinstall, it offers to put individual program shortcuts, however you need to check them.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Jan 2016

I don't know the exact english term since I'm from Germany. When I reinstall the only checkable option I see is whether I want the installer to create links to the programs on my desktop or not. That's not what I mean. I mean certain functions of CD-Ripper to be executed when I press a certain keyboard combination. Like the existing shortcuts "Alt+M" to review Metadata and "Alt+R" to Rip. I miss a shortcut for "Delete Selected Art" and "Load from File" or best the possibility to set the shortcuts for often used functions of CD-Ripper manually and individually like in Adobe Photoshop. I hate drop-down menus etc. and do almost everything with keyboard shortcuts, actions and makros.

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 655321
              I don't know the exact english term since I'm from Germany.
              Keyboard Shortcuts.

Comment

• Jan 2016

It's a real shame that none of my questions (except the one about only one art being written) got answered. Seems like I'm stuck with my workarounds.

Comment

Working...

]]>