title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper poor at getting the right metadata

CD Ripper poor at getting the right metadata

Hello,
    Using the CD Ripper, metadata, when asked, is grabbed from MusicBrainz and inserted, but is often not correct, or a different language.
    The same CD in, for example, XLD, offers a choice from Musicbrainz, and one is able to select the right choice. Same goes for iTunes, and other rippers.
    I know it can be entered manually, I do, but it would be nice if CD Ripper didn't just make these assumptions.

Now I've moaned, what am I doing wrong?

Regards...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper poor at getting the right metadata

In CDRipper, you have the choice of data provided from 4 different metadata database providers.

When a CD is inserted the database are searched. When done, you have the option to review the metadata in CDRipper and choose the most accurate data.

If the metadata is not accurate enough, you will have to manually edit. I always find I have to make a few manual tweaks to the metadata, before ripping.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    In CDRipper, you have the choice of data provided from 4 different metadata database providers.

When a CD is inserted the database are searched. When done, you have the option to review the metadata in CDRipper and choose the most accurate data.

If the metadata is not accurate enough, you will have to manually edit. I always find I have to make a few manual tweaks to the metadata, before ripping.
    Hello, Thx for the reply.

Although there are 4 different providers, CD Ripper gets it wrong. And automatically seems to merge that info or takes an average from that info.
    And from this 4 providers, where do I get the choice to choose what info goes where, I'm a noob, so go easy on me.

It also takes the wrong info from Music Brainz. If I use musicbrainz on other rippers the info is solid, CD Ripper seems to choose the worst from there.

Of course I can manually edit, and it is even the case on other rippers, but CD Ripper seems to be grabbing more wrong meta than most.

I'm sure a few prefs tweaks will help.

I will not agree that this forum method of "support" is better than a proper support channel. This is dull...

Regards...

Administrator

If you have R16 you click the Red label icon on tool bar at top to see the 4 providers, you can force one provider by clicking the name at the top.

>I will not agree that this forum method of "support" is better than a proper support channel. This is dull...

Well you received support within hours on a Sunday (a day most businesses do not work).

dBpoweramp Guru

in cdripper, click on the "tag" icon in upper menu area, and it will open a page that shows in the first column the tag info that cdripper suggests using and in the other 4 columns it will show each of the provider's tag information (if it exists). If you prefer one provider's info over the one cdripper has chosen, you can select that with a single click. If none of the provider's is what you want, you can also manually edit on this page.

I'm surprised you're seeing so many errors. I've ripped about 5,000 CDs and can only recall one or two that ever had completely wrong info (misidentified CD). Probably 95% of the time the info is essentially correct. That said, I often do some tweaking (but this is more often related to genre or album date or exact name of artist; rarely have to fix track names). But to be fair, I have very few classical music CDs and when it comes to classical music, tagging is mostly a nightmare and becomes a mostly manual edit process.

Regarding forum support vs official support: Over the years I have lots of experience with official support channels from Apple, Microsoft, Dell Computer, cable TV companies, etc. Without a doubt, the official support was almost always useless rubbish (people who essentially know nothing reading from a script). In comparison, the help I can get from random, unofficial users just by googling my problem has helped me get specific, useful solutions. And the help I can get from dedicated product forums (such as this), where there are experienced users is *always" useful.

With regard to the dbpa forum in particular, one can always get answers from the true source. As far as I can tell, there are only two employees of dbpa: Spoon, the owner and one other person. And Spoon provides timely feedback and answers here on a daily basis. This is like having Henry Ford showing up at your house within hours of a request to have your Ford automobile looked at.

I understand your frustration, but I can't help but emphasize the point that "official support channels" have become mostly garbage. Give me enlightened, experienced users any day!

EDIT: And as I was writing this, I see Spoon already answered...confirming my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If you have R16 you click the Red label icon on tool bar at top to see the 4 providers, you can force one provider by clicking the name at the top.

>I will not agree that this forum method of "support" is better than a proper support channel. This is dull...

Well you received support within hours on a Sunday (a day most businesses do not work).
    Oh, I am not questioning the response rates, or the quality I and all the other forum users get, no way. what's dull is that searching for the answer to questions is rarely getting answers to my specific questions. Or put another way, i'm at the mercy of 2 barriers to answers, 1, my own search skills, and 2, the uniformity of similar questions answered previously.
    Now, you could put 'right' now by showing a ton of entires that would help, you can because you are the don and you know the forum inside out, but believe me, I searched. I can't second guess the words used by 1000's of users.
    what I mean to point out with 'dull' is that all this quality info here within these forum walls is pretty much needles in haystacks.
    the tags help, but it's not ideal. I don't doubt your reasons for going ths route. I won't bring it up again...

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    in cdripper, click on the "tag" icon in upper menu area, and it will open a page that shows in the first column the tag info that cdripper suggests using and in the other 4 columns it will show each of the provider's tag information (if it exists). If you prefer one provider's info over the one cdripper has chosen, you can select that with a single click. If none of the provider's is what you want, you can also manually edit on this page.
    Thx, I'll look that over

I'm surprised you're seeing so many errors. I've ripped about 5,000 CDs and can only recall one or two that ever had completely wrong info (misidentified CD). Probably 95% of the time the info is essentially correct. That said, I often do some tweaking (but this is more often related to genre or album date or exact name of artist; rarely have to fix track names). But to be fair, I have very few classical music CDs and when it comes to classical music, tagging is mostly a nightmare and becomes a mostly manual edit process.
    This is a (semi) classical album, perhaps there we have something. It's by Ennio Morricone, iTunes (gracenote?) got it 95%, Musicbrainz (80%) Yate (85%) XLD 85%, CD Ripper was about 45%, but it uses those sources, so I must have missed where I can manually select the 4 options...

Regarding forum support vs official support: Over the years I have lots of experience with official support channels from Apple, Microsoft, Dell Computer, cable TV companies, etc. Without a doubt, the official support was almost always useless rubbish (people who essentially know nothing reading from a script). In comparison, the help I can get from random, unofficial users just by googling my problem has helped me get specific, useful solutions. And the help I can get from dedicated product forums (such as this), where there are experienced users is *always" useful.
    absolutely agree!

With regard to the dbpa forum in particular, one can always get answers from the true source. As far as I can tell, there are only two employees of dbpa: Spoon, the owner and one other person. And Spoon provides timely feedback and answers here on a daily basis. This is like having Henry Ford showing up at your house within hours of a request to have your Ford automobile looked at.
    Good to know!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flibbidy Gibbet View Post
    Oh, I am not questioning the response rates, or the quality I and all the other forum users get, no way. what's dull is that searching for the answer to questions is rarely getting answers to my specific questions. Or put another way, i'm at the mercy of 2 barriers to answers, 1, my own search skills, and 2, the uniformity of similar questions answered previously.
    Now, you could put 'right' now by showing a ton of entires that would help, you can because you are the don and you know the forum inside out, but believe me, I searched. I can't second guess the words used by 1000's of users.
    what I mean to point out with 'dull' is that all this quality info here within these forum walls is pretty much needles in haystacks.
    the tags help, but it's not ideal. I don't doubt your reasons for going ths route. I won't bring it up again...
    I understand your point. creating good search terms that get one quickly to on-point items is often a challenge (in general, not just here). Learning how to construct good Boolean search strings has become a good thing for people to do in the internet age! I also find that I can sometimes search better in google than directly in the forum software. For example, I might search in google for: "metadata incorrect dbpoweramp" and it will give me lots of links directly to this forum and related topics. I think the google search functions may be a bit smarter than most forum software search functions.

But the good news is that one can attempt a search (and maybe find something), but if not then post your own specific question (with a useful, informative subject heading) and get pretty fast feedback from someone. And if the issue has already been addressed in a thread, someone will typically just point you to that thread with a link.

dBpoweramp Guru

I try to read this forum regularly even when I don't have an issue. I've learned a lot of things about the software that weren't important at the time I read them but were useful later on. Also learned some things that I hadn't considered that changed how I had my software configured to avoid or correct issues that I wasn't aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

I bought "dBpoweramp Reference R15, Family Pack" on the 2nd August.
    Do I pay to go to r16?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flibbidy Gibbet View Post
    I bought "dBpoweramp Reference R15, Family Pack" on the 2nd August.
    Do I pay to go to r16?
    if you mean Aug 2, 2016, you get a free upgrade to Ver 16 according to this post from Spoon.
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...l=1*post166913

What happens if you simply try to get the upgrade from here: (does it give you the ver 16 without requiring payment?)
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-power-register-upgradePP.htm

EDIT: Maybe you have the apple version? The newest apple version is R15.

if you mean Aug 2, 2016, you get a free upgrade to Ver 16 according to this post from Spoon.
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...l=1*post166913

What happens if you simply try to get the upgrade from here: (does it give you the ver 16 without requiring payment?)
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc-power-register-upgradePP.htm

EDIT: Maybe you have the apple version? The newest apple version is R15.
    Yes, I'm Apple
    Yes, Aug 2 2016

I get this using your link...
    dBpoweramp Reference R15.6 (Family Pack)

I guess I'm in the Apple slow lane...

...and soon minus a headphone jack!

Administrator

For R15 you click 'Review metadata'