title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripped albums vanishing

Ripped albums vanishing

Whenever I buy a new CD the last several years, I rip it in WMP as soon as I open it. Lately, I've had some turn up completely missing. WMP doesn't "remember" them when I put the CD in.
    They are missing from the music folder C:/albums/(band), they are missing from the backup hard drive and they are missing from the Jeep Music folder where I keep the tag-edited versions.

In today's case, I wanted to give Kamelot-Haven a listen, and it was missing from all areas and I know I've listened to it in the Jeep, and not via the CD.
    I listened to it in the previous Jeep many times on the built in hard drive. Now, I've copied the albums from the Jeep Music folder to an SD card (no HDD in the newer radios), and the album is gone from there too.

Is there a built in expiration protocol on newer albums that make the ripped copy vanish (similar to official digital copies of movies)?

This isn't a matter of WMP losing it from the library, and I've seen that before.

Administrator

Re: Ripped albums vanishing

You would be best asking this on a forum specific to Windows Media Player. Correct me if I am wrong, you are not using any dBpoweramp related programs?

Sorry, just WMP. I found an older thread here with a lot of mentions of WMP, so hoped for the best.

This might be more of a question about proprietary related factors of a ripped album, if that's the issue.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ar-Pharazon View Post
    Sorry, just WMP. I found an older thread here with a lot of mentions of WMP, so hoped for the best.

This might be more of a question about proprietary related factors of a ripped album, if that's the issue.
    Yes, you have an odd problem. It is not normal for albums to disappear from all sources, even if ripped with WMP. There is no built in expiration. Something is happening in the synching of your files across all these devices. Do you use any sort of backup program or synching program. But as spoon says, this is not a dbpa problem. But probably not a WMP problem either. It is some sort of file management problem on your system(s).

I do not use a synching program, I just copy the folders into the various back-up locations.

I mean, it's not widespread, and has only happened (that I'm aware) on a few new releases (the last Kamelot & Lacuna Coil albums for sure).