title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DSD ripping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark ulman
    • Sep 2016

DSD ripping

I have downloaded the DSD codec, how do I use to rip sacd's?
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: DSD ripping

If an SACD is a Hybrid SACD it will have 2 layers, the DSD layer and the CD layer.

If an SACD is a Single layer SACD it will only have the DSD layer.

You cannot rip the DSD layer of an SACD using dBpoweramp Music Converter, only the CD layer.

Comment

• mark ulman
      • Sep 2016

Thank You mville,
      How would I rip a non hybrid or single layer sacd to wav file, I have no idea on the best way to do it (sample rate, bit rate, settings etc.)

Originally posted by mville
      If an SACD is a Hybrid SACD it will have 2 layers, the DSD layer and the CD layer.

If an SACD is a Single layer SACD it will only have the DSD layer.

You cannot rip the DSD layer of an SACD using dBpoweramp Music Converter, only the CD layer.

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mark ulman
        How would I rip a non hybrid or single layer sacd to wav file, I have no idea on the best way to do it (sample rate, bit rate, settings etc.)
        You can't rip a non hybrid or single layer sacd in dBpoweramp Music Converter.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

You cannot rip this layer with any program on any pc either.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Oggy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2015

AFAIK, the only way to extract the DSD file from a SACD, is by using a Sony PS3, with earlier firmware. I did look into this, but a combination of owning less than 30 hybrid SACDs, the complexity and time required, plus the rising cost of the "correct" PS3, I didn't take it further.

I have seen seen a SACD ripping service advertised, but as not all of my SACDs outperform the Redbook Stereo layer, again I didn't pursue.

Comment

• jultsu
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Mar 2016

You can "rip" SACD music by hooking an SACD player digitally to your computer and then recording the input to a lossless format of your choice. Naturally there will be no logs, support for error correction or tagging, you will have to cut the songs manually from the whole recording.

Comment

• Nathaniel
                • Sep 2014

JRiver Media Center will rip/encode to DSD

Comment

• MikeyFresh
                  • Dec 2016

Beginning in 2011, the ability to rip the SACD layer of an SACD Hybrid disc was possible with certain 2nd generation Sony PlayStation 3 models, using only certain early firmware versions. This was/is a rare find in terms of the hardware requirement, though many people did persevere. Over time, it only became more difficult to find suitable examples of the necessary hardware at reasonable cost.

Fast forward to 2016 and ripping SACD became possible using certain model Oppo, Cambridge, and Pioneer Blu-ray players. In 2017, certain model Sony Blu-ray players were added to that SACD ripping compatibility list, and previous to that, certain Oppo clones made by Cambridge, Arcam, Primare, and Electrocompaniet were determined to be compatible.

You can find all of the details for ripping SACD using a Blu-Ray Player here.

Comment

• ferrarabrainpan
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Nathaniel
                    JRiver Media Center will rip/encode to DSD
                    Really? Do you mean to say that with JRMC (which I already have on my Windows PC) I can put a hybrid SACD into my disc drive and rip the DSD layer to a DSD format? I am going to go over to the JRMC interact forum and ask this question, but since you posted here I want to make sure I understand you correctly. Because if it is that simple then I won't be sending off my three dozen SACD discs to that company called Golden Ear who do this service for a fee.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

It is likely they rip the normal 44KHz CD layer, and then encode that to DSD...
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ferrarabrainpan
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Jul 2018

Yes, that is exactly correct, Spoon, as I have just now confirmed over on the JRiver forum and Wiki.

Comment

Working...

]]>