title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Using 8 digits "Year tag" to identify specific albums (for ex. 1974.2011)

Using 8 digits "Year tag" to identify specific albums (for ex. 1974.2011)

Dear sirs

From some artists, I've loads of CDs and therefore loads of different versions of the same song. A simple option to make them "unique" is to use a 9-digit "year"-tag, like "1974.2011". Means: The song was record at 1974 and was published on CD at 2011. It's also helpful to identify different versions of the same album (I've for example 4 versions of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" album"). The naming of folders and files is generated automatically using tags, which works perfect (except the year tag). The syntax for the folder naming looks for ex. like this:

Album Artist - Album [Year]

It's possible to change the "Year" in the "Review Metadata" view the way I want it (means for ex. from "1974". to "1974.2011"), but DBPA doesn' care and uses in Folder Name, in File Name and in the Meta Tag "Year" strictly only the first 4 digits. Not a big issue, but this way I have to change Folder Name, File Name and ID-tag "Year" always manualy from "4 digits version" to "8 digits version". Is this problem known, is there a workaround to change this behaviour?

And not a problem but just to mention it: On "Review Metadata" page, there is a pull-down menu for the content of the year-tag. In my case, I can only see the years from 2016 back to 1995. All other years are not selectable via pull-down menu. Changing it manually is eihter way easier then choosing the right year via pull-down menu, but maybe this information is helpful detecting the problem above. But... rather not... ;-)

If anyone has an idea how to fix my problem: It would be great!

Thanks in advance
    and best regards from Switzerland,
    Sam

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Using 8 digits "Year tag" to identify specific albums (for ex. 1974.2011)

Firstly, be aware of what you have set in CDRipper >> Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag
    for Force no date on Year (ie 2004 not 2004 03 23)

When ripping to flac, I use Year for the original recording release date and manually add a tag called Release Date for the CD release date. iTunes uses Year and Release Date, so I adopted this standard. I set dates in the format of YYYY-MM-DD.

So, in your case I'd set the following for 2 different CDs:

Album = Wish You Were Here (25th Anniversary Edition)
    Year = 1975-09-12
    Release Date = 2000-04-25

Album = Wish You Were Here (2011 Immersion Remaster)
    Year = 1975-09-12
    Release Date = 2011-11-07

In your folder naming, instead of using:
    Album Artist - Album [Year]

you could use the 2 dates (using the [GRAB]from,to,string[] function to get YYYY):
    Album Artist - Album [[GRAB]1,4,[year][].[GRAB]1,4,[tag]release date[][]]

Good idea.

I went into options and attempted to add a customer tag. It now shows on the options menu but not on the CD information, maybe I have gone wrong.

Ah, your my man! Your handling with different versions of the same album ist much more professional than the mine - but I think I can life with my "8-digits". Especially since you've fixed my problem: It WAS this bloody "Meta Data & ID Tag
    for Force no date on Year (ie 2004 not 2004 03 23)" that cutted my additional 4 digits. I've uncecked the box and now everything is fine. Thank you very much!