title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: dBpoweramp R16 for Mac OS X beta Discussions

Re: dBpoweramp R16 for Mac OS X beta Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    Have ripped more than 50 CDs with R16b15. Working well. TU.

One possible feature request. It would be GREAT to be able to drag-and-drop an image onto the CD Ripper screen that replaces anything that may already be there. Using the delete and load options are fine, but drag-and-drop would speed things along and be even more consistent with other apps working with images. Thx for the consideration.
    indeed!

I have this strange problem where every now and then dBPowerAmp refuses to rip a CD at all. When I unplug my dvd drive (a Samsung 208), relaunch dB and plug the drive back in most of the time things are back to normal. Note that dB does mount the disc and finds the info.

Has anyone else come across this? I dare not say for certain that the problem is with dB, it could also be that the Samsung is getting tired after ripping 600 CDs. But then again it does work after un- and replugging.

Here is a log for a brand new Paul Weller CD:
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 1' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/01 Blink And You'll Miss It.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 182 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 15280) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 2' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/02 Paper Smile.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 15280 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 29183) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 3' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/03 Come On - Let's Go.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 29183 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 43933) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 4' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/04 Here's The Good News.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 43933 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 57213) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 5' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/05 The Start Of Forever.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 57213 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 79383) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 6' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/06 Pan.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 79383 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 90340) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 7' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/07 All On A Misty Morning.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 90340 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 110628) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 9' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/09 I Wanna Make It Allright.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 121708 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 138108) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 10' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/10 Savages.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 138108 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 151458) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 8' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/08 From The Floorboards Up.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 110628 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 121708) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 11' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/11 Fly Little Bird.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 151458 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 168260) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 13' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/13 Bring Back the Funk (Pts 1 &2).flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 184753 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 217428) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 12' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/12 Roll Along Summer.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 168260 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 184753) [Rip]
    Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 14' to '/Volumes/homes/FLACaccess/music/FLAC/Paul Weller - As Is Now (2005)/14 The Pebble And The Boy.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 217428 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 240178) [Rip]

Administrator

It is the drive which is refusing to read the CD. I would recommend replacing the drive.

Thank you for the quick reaction, Spoon. Should I get the same model or am I better off with something else?

Administrator

I would go for a different drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pobo View Post
    Thank you for the quick reaction, Spoon. Should I get the same model or am I better off with something else?
    I purposely have two different drives, specifically from two different manufacturers, including a "disposable" one for $30 off Amazon that I purchased specifically for my ripping project. I'm also just beyond 600 CD's using R16b11+ for most of them, with another 200 or so to go.

After reading some of @spoon's helpful write-ups in other parts of this site, as well as several other threads, here's what I'm doing when I encounter problems doing Secure Ripping (I assume that's what you're doing):

1) I clean the CD, then try it in my other CD drive. More than half the time, the failures have gone away and Secure Ripping completed successfully.
    Note: While I'm using the Beta code, if the 2nd CD drive does not work, I go back and try R15, but have not found any significant difference in the tracks that will and won't rip with those that have initially failed.

2) If that does not work: I try Burst Mode in both CD drives. Perhaps half the time, tracks will rip, albeit with lower confidence level or may be completely inaccurate (but playable).

3) At this point if I'm still having issues, I suspect I've likely got a bad CD, with at least one of more tracks that won't accurately rip. Of the handful of my CDs in this situation, I've so far found replacements for 2 of them. Each time when I ripped the replacement, the secure rip completed successfully and I donated the original failing CD. My problem, like many of us that have been building collections since the early 80's, is some of my CDs are no longer in print, so replacing the more obscure albums I care most about, will be my next project.

Good luck.

Running R16b15. I suspect there is an issue with the beta when one of the meta services is non-responsive or very slow. I can't figure out what's going on, but there are times when using R16b15, certain CDs when inserted to the ripper, will display basic track info (length, etc), the meta symbol spins, but it can be a minute or more before it finally comes back. If I get impatient and flip back to R15 with the same CD, it comes back much faster -- it also has the drop-down indicating which services have been touched and which ones are still to go (R16 does not have that)... Seems perhaps Musicbrainz is the last to come in as I watch R15 the few times I've used it in this way. Anyway, maybe reintroducing an indicator of which meta service the ripper is waiting for may be a good thing to consider putting back in some time so the user knows it's the service and not dBpoweramp being the issue.

Super Moderator

Beta 16 posted; drag & drop for album art image has been added. Note that you can also copy album art URL from web browser and paste via the [...] button.

Noted about unresponsive metadata lookup services.

Peter: Simply some positive feedback about R16b16. I've ripped well over 50 CDs now with this new beta level and going strong on the remainder I have to do -- no issues other than it seeming to occasionally have timeout problems waiting perhaps too long for straggler meta services. On that, except in one case, if I wait long enough, at least one service generally provides default meta content. R15 OTOH seems just a tad faster -- BUT, please don't go back to that. R16 is superior with finding meta data and album art options. BTW, drag-and-drop is appreciated -- it's now very quick when I can't find higher quality art in the normal way with the ripper, find something on Amazon or the Net and can just drag it over to the ripper window. Perfect. Thx. Not a big deal if you're ripping one or two CDs, but when you're doing the manual batch thing like I am, it's GREAT.

The only other puzzling thing I find upon occasion is with Album Art. I have e.g. set 1000x1000 as preferred album art size in the ripper -- but many times it provides a smaller version of the same thing when there are multiples available. I doubt there is anything you can do with that, but I've just gotten in the habit now to click the image that appears in the ripper if it's pretty small to see other options available. It works, just not as optimum automation-wise as so many other things are in dBpoweramp. Thanks again to all for a great product!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Peter, I have ripped with R16 as you suggested. Let me mention that it is the first time I use a beta of Dbpa, so perhaps I did something wrong. I changed none of the 15.x settings.

The ripping process of the first cd took rather long (at least way longer than with 15.x) and in the end kept 'hanging'. The wav/flac/alac directories contained just a file named "shouldNotSeeThis.[filetype]".

Next, I ripped a cd that ripped flawlessly yesterday with 15.x (apart from the separator issue). This time the rip continued to the end. But this time too, the wav/flac/alac directories containing a file named "shouldNotSeeThis.[filetype]". If helpful I can provide the information and error report.

Another issue I forgot to mention earlier, is an issue that I experience in the OSX version (both 15.x and R16) which I did not experience in the W10-version.
    The metadata tab window in the CD-ripping screen, shows all kind of File Name Restricted Characters and their replacement, I find this a bit confusing.
    Last edited by Thijs_Alphen; 01-08-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Odd occurrence with R16b16 Ripper today. Loaded a CD. Meta data lookup began (rotating blue arrows), but even after waiting 4 minutes, did not come back. I tried to cancel the lookup by clicking on the rotating arrows. No go. I instead quit the app. Tried R15, and no response either, but I was able to cancel the lookup.

Went back and started up R16b16 again with the same CD. Same thing as before. I manually entered metadata while the arrow kept rotating, and clicked Rip. It's in process and on the 4th track now with the blue arrow still going round-and-round.

This is perhaps another instance of the timeout issue I mentioned upthread, but with R16, perhaps I'm not understanding where the cancel button or function now is, if its not to click the rotating icon... Anyway, a new one for your consideration. BTW, the CD is a more obscure out-of-print Hawaiian music album from '94 -- not something generally available I suppose.

UPDATE: Several minutes later while ripping was ongoing, the blue arrows stopped spinning. The ripper came back and filled-in all tracks with it's metadata and is still ripping the next tracks. I'll manually reconcile the track metadata once it completes, but it would seem that once Ripping begins, that should be a cancellation of any in-progress meta lookup, right? Overwriting what I input isn't quite what I was expecting.
    Last edited by BertL; 01-08-2017 at 03:12 PM.

FWIW, I completed my 800+ CD Ripping project a little while ago to Apple Lossless, using R16b11 thru b16 almost exclusively, except for situations reported here. Wanted to say THANKS again for a great product, super improvements from R15, and your help. I look forward to GA of R16 one of these days. Until then, R16b16 Music Converter, here I come again!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Thijs_Alphen View Post
    The ripping process of the first cd took rather long (at least way longer than with 15.x) and in the end kept 'hanging'. The wav/flac/alac directories contained just a file named "shouldNotSeeThis.[filetype]".
    Thanks for the report.
    It seems you have some exotic configuration of Multi Encoder, referencing [origfilename] or alike - it worked in earlier versions of dBPoweramp but no longer does - and is not supported in Windows version of dBpoweramp either. Logically it's wrong - there's no original filename, only destination filename specified by CD Ripper settings, and destination filename settings are intentionally disabled with Multi Encoder selected.
    EDIT: From the next beta on, the old behavior has been restored.

As for slow ripping -
    No idea about this one, no such issue has been reported until now. If it persists, you can save a configuration snapshot (via dBpoweramp configuration / Converter, button at the bottom of the window) and email it to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis.

Another issue I forgot to mention earlier, is an issue that I experience in the OSX version (both 15.x and R16) which I did not experience in the W10-version.
    The metadata tab window in the CD-ripping screen, shows all kind of File Name Restricted Characters and their replacement, I find this a bit confusing.
    I'm sorry but I have no idea which part of the CD Ripper user interface you are referring to; can you make a screenshot please?
    Last edited by PeterP; 01-10-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Super Moderator

Beta 17 posted.

Meta lookup has been made cancellable again.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you for your extensive reply.I have sent you the info via e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for the report.
    It seems you have some exotic configuration of Multi Encoder, referencing [origfilename] or alike - it worked in earlier versions of dBPoweramp but no longer does - and is not supported in Windows version of dBpoweramp either. Logically it's wrong - there's no original filename, only destination filename specified by CD Ripper settings, and destination filename settings are intentionally disabled with Multi Encoder selected.
    EDIT: From the next beta on, the old behavior has been restored.

EDIT Thijs: I have no clue what you mean :-) the only configuring I did was limiting the filename length, i.e.
    for popular music [MAXLENGTH]50,[artist][] - [MAXLENGTH]75,[title][] and two filename
    for classical music [MAXLENGTH]50,[composer][] - [MAXLENGTH]75,[title][]

As for slow ripping -
    No idea about this one, no such issue has been reported until now. If it persists, you can save a configuration snapshot (via dBpoweramp configuration / Converter, button at the bottom of the window) and email it to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis.

I'm sorry but I have no idea which part of the CD Ripper user interface you are referring to; can you make a screenshot please?
    I have sent you a screenshot.