title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: dBpoweramp R16 for Mac OS X beta Discussions

Re: dBpoweramp R16 for Mac OS X beta Discussions

About to start a project transcoding my FLAC files. I am going to use 320 AAC because they will be stored on my iPhone 7+. The release notes for b12 state:

"Added support for Apple AAC encoder"

My limited knowledge of things tells me that the current official release of dBpoweramp does not use the Apple AAC encoder but rather a different one.

Will this beta release use the Apple encoder for simply ripping - or also for transcoding as I will be doing in this project of FLAC to AAC?

Is this Apple encoder considered to be "better" than the one currently provided in the official release?

Administrator

It uses both, at 320 kbps there will be very little difference between the codecs.

Spoon

Thanks for the reply. Been a long time since we have spoken (back in the Klimax DS1 days!)

I want to store my collection on my iPhone 7+ and use a pair of wireless bluetooth headphones (which use AAC codec as APTx not supported on iPhone). Any advice/preference on MP3 vs. AAC? I thought AAC due to the wireless headphones using AAC via Bluetooth? Bit rate - 320 should suffice?

Best
    Gregg

Administrator

320kbps AAC is your best option.

Any release date for the R16 in sight? I want to purchase dbPoweramp, but I don't want to throw money at the R15 if the R16 released soon.

Administrator

In January sometime.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    R16b10 appears to have a problem perhaps with IFCOMP and/or IFMULTI in CD Ripper Naming. Following naming works fine with R15.8, causing track names of a multi-disc set to be coded as e.g. 1-02... Whereas R16b10 names the same track 02... (missing the disc number on all tracks). In any case, R16 beta is acting differently with the same source compared to R15 when it comes to this naming logic.

[IFCOMP]Compilations/[][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Unknown Artist[][]/[album]/[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [title]
    Thanks for the bug report and sorry about slow reply.

I used your exact string and could not see anything out of ordinary with multi disc albums; disc number gets included as intended. What exact album are you seeing these symptoms with?

A semi-related bug with track numbers not being present in "filename" column of ripper has been addressed, but that's not what is troubling you.

Super Moderator

I'm finding that with latest R16 betas (b11 & b12) when ripping CDs, occasionally one or more tracks will successfully rip, but only contain two accurate rip and replay gain tags. Meta looks OK in the dBpoweramp display for all tracks before ripping. After ripping, the title of all tracks are correct, but sometimes most meta data, including track title, artist, album art are not be placed in the final ripped track. R15.8 WORKS CORRECTLY.

Examples:
    1) Screenshot of ripped CD from Finder. Note the problem with tracks 1, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 12 (issue is same as described above).
    Attachment 1175

2) As an example of the failure, Screenshot of dBpoweramp tag editor for track 1 showing only 4 tags are populated.
    Attachment 1173

3) Screenshot of dBpoweramp tag editor for track 2 as an example showing all data is correctly being populated in most other tracks.
    Attachment 1174

If it's of help, I'm ripping to Apple Lossless using "Secure", and have the "When Ripping" option set to "Rip to '._' files, rename...". DSP Effects are with ReplayGain, "Delete Destination File on Error", "ID Tag Processing" (deleting some meta data values like [Piano], and changing some genres; switching Artists around for non-multi-artist aware apps, dropping track & disc count). FWIW, I have tried ripping the same CD without any DSP Effects, with the same result in R16b12. The whole CD with same DSP Effects rips correctly with R15.8.
    Thanks for the bug report, the problem is being investigated.

In meanwhile, does it make any difference if you attempt ripping to another file format, such as FLAC or MP3?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for the bug report and sorry about slow reply.

I used your exact string and could not see anything out of ordinary with multi disc albums; disc number gets included as intended. What exact album are you seeing these symptoms with?

A semi-related bug with track numbers not being present in "filename" column of ripper has been addressed, but that's not what is troubling you.
    NP. Thank YOU.

...but I'm feeling like an idiot. I've gone back and started ripping now 9 difference multi-disc albums -- all the same ones I had problems with and manually edited filenames, and they are each ripping correctly now with R16b12. All I can say is I've played extensively with DSP Effects adding, deleting and reloading them to help ID the other issue, and now it's working. Chaulk it up to user error and delete this one from your investigative process. SORRY (but I know I wasn't screwed-up having done that editing I did to keep filenames straight).

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for the bug report, the problem is being investigated.

In meanwhile, does it make any difference if you attempt ripping to another file format, such as FLAC or MP3?
    I only re-ripped the first two tracks again, as 1st is problematic, but 2nd is OK with Apple Lossless and R16b12. FLAC and MP3 have same failure as Apple Lossless with the 1st track -- only containing the same 4 tags as my previous Apple Lossless problem screenshots. (Phewww. At least this one is re-creatable!) If you need me to re-rip the full disc or do something else to help, just let me know. TU

NP. Thank YOU.

...but I'm feeling like an idiot. I've gone back and started ripping now 9 difference multi-disc albums -- all the same ones I had problems with and manually edited filenames, and they are each ripping correctly now with R16b12. All I can say is I've played extensively with DSP Effects adding, deleting and reloading them to help ID the other issue, and now it's working. Chaulk it up to user error and delete this one from your investigative process. SORRY (but I know I wasn't screwed-up having done that editing I did to keep filenames straight).
    Peter! It took me some time to figure it out, but I think there really is a bug with R16b. I don't believe it was me.

With R15.8, the file naming logic I provided upthread works with a multi-disc album, no matter whether ID Tag Processing / Manipulation / "Drop Track Count" is checked or not. Great.

With R16b12, using the same file naming logic that works with R15.8, if Drop Track Count is UNCHECKED, all is well. OTOH, if Drop Track Count is CHECKED, R16b12 acts differently than R15 and the track naming logic does not place the disc number in front of the track name as it should. It seems something different than R15 is happening between "Drop Track Count", IFCOMP and/or IFMULTI when the option is enabled.

I only re-ripped the first two tracks again, as 1st is problematic, but 2nd is OK with Apple Lossless and R16b12. FLAC and MP3 have same failure as Apple Lossless with the 1st track -- only containing the same 4 tags as my previous Apple Lossless problem screenshots. (Phewww. At least this one is re-creatable!) If you need me to re-rip the full disc or do something else to help, just let me know. TU
    In case it's helpful, in addition to the previous examples from that Elaine Paige Encores album where several tracks have the problem using the R16 beta, here's a few more albums I've run into the problem within the past couple of days. Each only had a single track that failed. Re-ripping with R15.8 replaced the errant track with proper meta data and art.
    - Barbra Streisand / Essential Barbra Streisand / 1-18
    - Barbra Streisand / One Night Only / 13
    - Barbra Streisand / A Collection Greatest Hits ...and more / 12

In case it's helpful, in addition to the previous examples from that Elaine Paige Encores album where several tracks have the problem using the R16 beta, here's a few more albums I've run into the problem within the past couple of days. Each only had a single track that failed. Re-ripping with R15.8 replaced the errant track with proper meta data and art.
    - Barbra Streisand / Essential Barbra Streisand / 1-18
    - Barbra Streisand / One Night Only / 13
    - Barbra Streisand / A Collection Greatest Hits ...and more / 12
    Peter, if helpful, here's an interesting point I just ran across: I have two compilation albums with some of the same tracks and same default tagging. Interesting, that the two of the tracks that fail with R16b on the first album, also fail on the other separate CD. The bug must have something to do with the track content -- what? IDK!

Cirque du Soleil / Tapis Rouge Solarium / tracks 4 & 10 fail with the beta
    Cirque du Soleil / Solarium/Delirium / disc 1, tracks 4 & 10 fail with the beta

As before, re-ripping with R15.8 works fine with the failing tracks on both albums/CDs.

Having a problem with 16.b12:

Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Superman-Eminem.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Superman-Eminem.m4a'
    indicated sample count does not match decoded sample count, possible file corruption
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Do You Really Want To Hurt Me-Culture Club.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Do You Really Want To Hurt Me-Culture Club.m4a'
    indicated sample count does not match decoded sample count, possible file corruption
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/She Sells Sanctuary-The Cult.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/She Sells Sanctuary-The Cult.m4a'
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Tainted Love-Soft Cell.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Tainted Love-Soft Cell.m4a'
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Johnny Come Home-Fine Young Cannibals.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Johnny Come Home-Fine Young Cannibals.m4a'
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Oh Yeah-Yello.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Oh Yeah-Yello.m4a'
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Spanish Guitar-Toni Braxton.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Spanish Guitar-Toni Braxton.m4a'
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Blue Monday-New Order.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Blue Monday-New Order.m4a'
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Relax-Frankie Goes to Hollywood.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Relax-Frankie Goes to Hollywood.m4a'
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/There's Something About You-Level 42.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/There's Something About You-Level 42.m4a'
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Rock Me Amadeus-Falco.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Rock Me Amadeus-Falco.m4a'
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Private Dancer-Tina Turner.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Private Dancer-Tina Turner.m4a'
    Error converting to Apple Lossless, '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Breath Me-Sia.flac' to '/Volumes/Public/brand new/flac/Audiophile Vinyl, LP and EPs/Audiophile vinyl rips 12 inch EPs/Breath Me-Sia.m4a'

Looking at the system log, I found this:

12/22/16 8:59:14.012 PM dBpoweramp Music Converter[27876]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[EVFILT_MEMORYSTATUS] add: "Operation not supported" - 0x2d
    12/22/16 8:59:14.721 PM dBpoweramp Music Converter[27876]: assertion failed: 15G1212: libxpc.dylib + 78286 [54D1328E-054E-3DAA-89E2-375722F9D18F]: 0x89
    12/22/16 8:59:20.279 PM dBpoweramp Music Converter[27876]: plugin com.adobe.accmac.ACCFinderSync invalidated
    12/22/16 9:06:37.119 PM diskarbitrationd[78]: dBpoweramp Music Converter [27876]:191227 not responding.
    12/22/16 9:06:37.000 PM kernel[0]: hfs: unmount initiated on dBpoweramp Music Converter on device disk4s2
    12/22/16 9:06:37.178 PM deleted[430]: normalizeUserMountpoint:791 volRoot failed for /Volumes/dBpoweramp Music Converter
    12/22/16 9:06:37.178 PM deleted[430]: _validateVolume:813 unable to normalize volume: "/Volumes/dBpoweramp Music Converter", vol: (null)
    12/22/16 9:08:10.732 PM dBpoweramp Music Converter[27876]: Batch finish for 13 objects, DSP: -dspeffect1="Delete Source File=-recycle"
    Last edited by offline; 12-22-2016 at 09:11 PM. Reason: additional info from sys log

Super Moderator

Thanks for all the bug reports, we're delaying R16 stable until all of them have been properly investigated.

As for some of the bugs not appearing on re-rip, it is likely that some issues - metadata related in particular - creep up only the first time some disc is seen, not if its metadata is already in dBpoweramp's cache.