title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: converting live tracksto mp3

converting live tracksto mp3

There is something that bugged me for years now but I did not find a sulotion yet: If you convert live CD live tracks to mp3 they will give you a couple of ms silence at the beginning and at the end of the track. Therefore on playback you get little "dropouts" from track to track. That is expecially ugly on live recordings (I am not talking about the usual behaviour of mp3 players of not being able to really play tracks 100% back to back). That is visible if you cut and past the mp3 tracks back together (I use Wavelab to do this which usually works 100% flawless). If you manually delete the silence it cames right back as soon as you reconvert and safe the files. ( used both Lame and Frauenhofer decoders. No difference.
    My workaround in the past was to convert the whole live cd as one track - but there must be a better solution. I also wrote my own VB program using 2 Windows Media Players to play tracks 100& back to back. That works fine in all other cases, bacause you don't recognize the couple of ms "dropouts". On a live recording you still can hear it (at least it bothers me).

Any ideas from a professional? :-)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: converting live tracksto mp3

Unfortunately the mp3 codec is written so that there is an added space (check out similar thread http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=3764). I'm no professional but I'm guessing that there must be an mp3 codec that doesn't do this, can anyone verify?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Myself being interested in this topic I popped it up in Google and got this: http://www.mp3-converter.com/encoders/bladeenc.htm, "Only mp3 encoder that supports gapless encoding." Download and try the Blade codec (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp3-blade.htm) and see if it works.

Wink Re: converting live tracksto mp3

Thanks for the hint. I will try the Blade decoder and let you know how the results where

Administrator

I think WMA is gapless.

Wink Re: converting live tracksto mp3

Using the Blame decoder is the solution for mp3. I checked it by pasting two converted live tracks together in Wavelab - and there was no gap. Somethimes the solution is very simple :-)))

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Glad to help!

Suggestion to Spoon: put 'gapless mp3 conversion' next to Blade in Codec Central?

dBpoweramp Guru

Will converting to Blade solve the gapless problem when burning single live tracks to a CD?

Not if you are using dBpowerAMP CD Writer. To create CDs without gaps between the tracks you need burning software which supports 'Disk-At-Once'.

Wayne