title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Artwork issue.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Artwork issue.

After ripping many CD's Then purchasing a streamer later, I now realise the importance to set good resolution Art at the right size.Most of My Art is from 700 x 700 (recommended by Spoon...as the "sweet spot" for Art) to 1000 x 1000. Using Juke box mode in Squeeze control app , where cover art is shown and split over the tablet GUI (Iam sure apple Ipeng has something similar.) Some of my Art is odd in Dimensions i.e. 671 x 700. I have been correcting this via DBPA id-tag Window, exporting JPG. Resizing and re-importing (finding New Art, If needed, if the resolutions poor.)

My Question is.... Is there a quicker way of finding wrong Sized artwork,using perfect Tunes maybe..? to fix this.Of Course if the resolutions poor, I guess I will still have to find new art anyway.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Artwork issue.

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    After ripping many CD's Then purchasing a streamer later, I now realise the importance to set good resolution Art at the right size.Most of My Art is from 700 x 700 (recommended by Spoon...as the "sweet spot" for Art) to 1000 x 1000. Using Juke box mode in Squeeze control app , where cover art is shown and split over the tablet GUI (Iam sure apple Ipeng has something similar.) Some of my Art is odd in Dimensions i.e. 671 x 700. I have been correcting this via DBPA id-tag Window, exporting JPG. Resizing and re-importing (finding New Art, If needed, if the resolutions poor.)

My Question is.... Is there a quicker way of finding wrong Sized artwork,using perfect Tunes maybe..? to fix this.Of Course if the resolutions poor, I guess I will still have to find new art anyway.

Perfecttunes can can find different or better artwork automatically. I use 1000x1000 when available.

Administrator

PerfectTUNES will also list all your albums by art size, so you can quickly look through the list.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

That makes it easier.after fixing does it still embed into each track automatically.i notice a exported jpg. Is in album file folder ,very handy to manipulate if needed.it would of be nice if in perfect tunes gave a odd numbers option,so you can resize 700,800,1000x....so you could easily correct sizing errors.there again, I should of got that right pre- rip!
    Last edited by daleyb; 08-27-2016 at 01:08 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

That makes it easier.after fixing does it still embed into each track automatically.i notice a exported jpg. Is in album file folder ,very handy to manipulate if needed.it would of be nice if in perfect tunes gave a odd numbers option,so you can resize 700,800,1000x....so you could easily correct sizing errors.there again, I should of got that right pre- rip!
    you can do either or both (embed or seoarate file). It's a setting you can make.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks both for help. Just a little worried that on SOME streamers setting Artwork at 1000 x 1000 May not show...But thats not really a problem yet, and will keep SBT for a good while yet..... Just dont fancy resetting artwork sizes again!

dBpoweramp Guru

Easy to fix in batch way. Might be easier ways, but I'd use dbpa to automatically embed art at whatever size I wanted (500x500). Then in step 2 I'd export the embedded art to folder.jpg, etc. I could resize the art in my 100k tracks with 4 or 5 mouse clicks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks both for help. Just a little worried that on SOME streamers setting Artwork at 1000 x 1000 May not show...But thats not really a problem yet, and will keep SBT for a good while yet..... Just dont fancy resetting artwork sizes again!
    Hi Dale,

Believe it's Sonos that is fussy with artwork - a few friends run these, and have had issues with the art not displaying from some files. Even though they can display up to 1024 x 1024, they certainly used to have a restriction on file size of 256 KB, but this was raised to 320KB - bigger and there may be problems. I certainly have some files bigger than 320KB, always using 1000 x 1000, when available.

As Gary said, a few clicks will resolve this, but maybe 1000 x 1000, with a 300KB maximum file size, would be a good compromise for compatibility.

Oggy

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Hi Dale,

Believe it's Sonos that is fussy with artwork - a few friends run these, and have had issues with the art not displaying from some files. Even though they can display up to 1024 x 1024, they certainly used to have a restriction on file size of 256 KB, but this was raised to 320KB - bigger and there may be problems. I certainly have some files bigger than 320KB, always using 1000 x 1000, when available.

As Gary said, a few clicks will resolve this, but maybe 1000 x 1000, with a 300KB maximum file size, would be a good compromise for compatibility.

Oggy
    Hi Oggy. Got mine set at 1000 x 1000 (500kb max) Not many come in at over 500 Kb anyway but may reset that to 300 KB.. i Have about 50 Low res artwork according to PT.(not bad for over a 1000 rips!)Trying to find new or Similar art to replace it with.....Ive got really O.C.D with it all now, spending hours to get the Artwork looking spot on. Getting all my rips/Art tagging correct before I start ripping again..

Hi Garym, Could you expand a little on the 2nd step above, I notice on another thread you gave someone else some good advise on this.Can you use converter to reduce Artwork Size.(Like i said not a problem yet, but may need to reduce Art if converting to mp3 to a portable player..too

Also dont you (Garym) use Cover.jpg rather than embed. Does that make it easier to convert cover art..??
    Last edited by daleyb; 08-30-2016 at 12:46 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Garym, Could you expand a little on the 2nd step above, I notice on another thread you gave someone else some good advise on this.Can you use converter to reduce Artwork Size.(Like i said not a problem yet, but may need to reduce Art if converting to mp3 to a portable player..too

Also dont you (Garym) use Cover.jpg rather than embed. Does that make it easier to convert cover art..??
    Yes, I use cover.jpg rather than embedded art in my FLACs. I'm not sure it makes it easier to do any "conversion" of cover art, but I'm not fully clear what you mean by "convert cover art". Regarding the 2nd step, I just mean, use "batch converter", select parent directory with all your files, then CONVERT to "ID TAG UPDAtE" DSP, then in the popup box settings, under the "manipulations" tab, tick "export to" cover.jpg or folder.jpg.

(and step 2 is just the reverse of step 1, where I would use the same conversion and tick "import from" cover.jpg and give it max size, etc. This is the step that would CHANGE your artwork size. Step 2 is just to then rexport it as cover.jpg (in the new size). And step 3 would be to use same process to remove the embedded art from the files, leaving only cover.jpg.

As I said earlier, there is probably a more elegant way to do this in a batch manner, but the above should do the trick.
    Last edited by garym; 08-31-2016 at 06:57 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy. Got mine set at 1000 x 1000 (500kb max) Not many come in at over 500 Kb anyway but may reset that to 300 KB.. i Have about 50 Low res artwork according to PT.(not bad for over a 1000 rips!)Trying to find new or Similar art to replace it with.....Ive got really O.C.D with it all now, spending hours to get the Artwork looking spot on. Getting all my rips/Art tagging correct before I start ripping again..

Hi Dale,

1000 x 1000, 300KB has worked on everything my friends and I have tried, and after the no art on the Sonos, I decided a month ago to use the 300KB limit - the occasionally fanart covers were really big files.

Finding correct, and good quality art is probably the most time consuming part of my ripping, but worthwhile. I am delighted that R16 gives far more correct, and better quality artwork.

Oggy

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Got it. in DSP Settings.Never used this before so I can batch them in this and dont have to go "one by One" per file/folder. and correct Size-useful to know for future Ref.
    Sorry meant Change artwork not "Convert" above..(well I knew what I meant!) Changing low-res Art is needed, but it seems a shame to have to change high res art ( The odd piccy has come in at 800 KB! 1000 X 1000) . not got a Scanner, but a trip down the local library (they have a good one there) should fix no-art work found or a near as poss to picture on net..

dBpoweramp Guru

Got it. in DSP Settings.Never used this before so I can batch them in this and dont have to go "one by One" per file/folder. and correct Size-useful to know for future Ref.
    Sorry meant Change artwork not "Convert" above..(well I knew what I meant!) Changing low-res Art is needed, but it seems a shame to have to change high res art ( The odd piccy has come in at 800 KB! 1000 X 1000) . not got a Scanner, but a trip down the local library (they have a good one there) should fix no-art work found or a near as poss to picture on net..
    Yes, you can do this in a batch mode for your entire music collection (no need to go one by one). Changing art is most simple with PerfectTunes finding best art. But if it doesn't exist, you can find your own art (or scan) and use this. That's of course a more manual (album by album) approach, whether you're using embedded or cover.jpg single art file.
    Last edited by garym; 09-02-2016 at 12:35 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

At present i have many art covers come in at 935 x 935 , Of course this nothing to worry about because there still square. but if I wanted to "stretch" them to 1000 or Downsize them to 900 x900 in P.T. isn't this impossible. I get the idea that while PT's a great program it cannot "downscale/Size" existing Art. For example, if I Source a piccy at 1400 x 1400, it will (providing I've set it too) reduce to 1000 x 1000. Great.

However, if I have an odd numbered cover, Ive still got to change this manually. Or if I wanted to reduce Art from 1000 to 500 x 500, PT will NOT downscale my existing art but give me NEW option art in that Size...

Currently Iam finding odd numbered art on PT (from previous rips- my mistake ), Going back into folder/s export art jpg.-change size in paint program..then re-import jpg. (luckily I dont have many of these..)
    If a cover is lets say 500 x 500 , but is still good/ high Res.... I do the same thing-just "stretch it" to 700 x 700, 800 or 1000 (on my discretion to pixel sharpness) .

Ive tried changing a few in BATCH converter/ manipulate etc...but I Think I still have to export and Import the same way.-unless iam doing something wrong...Its a shame you cant "Square up" Existing artwork size in P.T... and downscale existing art too ..

dBpoweramp Guru

I know that dbpa ripper will take, say 1500x1500 art that it find and because I tell it I want max art size of 1000x1000, it will automatically convert the art to 1000x1000. So in fact dbpa will *downscale* artwork. It won't "square" the art, if its not square. And it won't change 600x600 to 1000x1000 (it will only reduce the size as far as I can tell).

I don't understand your last comment about "downscale existing art too". The batch converter will downscale existing art. I take 1000x1000 and downscale it to 500x500 when I batch convert from FLAC to mp3 (for use in my portables) all the time. The instructions I gave you will downscale art using the converter. (Maybe you're saying that PerfectTunes won't downscale art automatically? Not sure, as I haven't tried.)

Regarding being OCD about artwork (which I'm not...if the best I can find is 750 x 693, I'm OK with that), if I was going to be OCD about art, I'd be focusing on having front cover, back cover, and inside matter, all as jpgs in my album folder.