title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: R16.1 installation question

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

R16.1 installation question

I just successfully upgraded to R16.1 (for Windows) and if I go into Programs I see the newly installed dBpoweramp program but I also still see older installations of Replay Gain (Release 4), Batch Ripper (release 1.5), DSP Effects (release 11), Music Converter (release 14.4), and WMA 10 codec (release 7) with installation dates from several years ago when I first installed dBpoweramp.

Shouldn't the new installation of 16.1 have updated these and/or can I safely delete them? Thank you for your assistance.

Administrator

Re: R16.1 installation question

You are best to uninstall all the items, then reinstall the latest of each one.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, when I went to delete the programs it said that there was nothing to delete except for some items from the registry so I did that. It seems like these programs all still show as installed with the 16.1 download though so I haven't downloaded anything individually yet.

Just some feedback on R16.1, I noticed a couple of strange notification messages that keep popping up. It's after ejecting a disc I get what looks like a Windows generated message saying there is no disc in the drive with options to Try Again, Continue, or Cancel. Also, often times when I load a disc CD Ripper doesn't recognize that there is a disc loaded, I get a similar message that there is no disc and I have to select Retry and then the disc loads. I've also noticed that the Meta data search more often than not returns incorrect results, it seems like when it can't find the correct genre it defaults to pop/rock. I've been labeled as a "meticulous groomer" so maybe its just me. Is there a way to add custom genre tags to the included drop down list so I don't have to repeat typing them in? And last, I was experimenting with he HDCD DSP function and in the past it would indicate when an entire HDCD album was detected, with 16.1 I have received a couple of notifications that just one track of an album was identified as being "HDCD". Thanks for all your assistance with a great product.

Administrator

>Is there a way to add custom genre tags to the included drop down list so I don't have to repeat typing them in?

You can type into the genre box, then when restarting cd ripper it will remember your new genre.

Not all cds are encoded the whole cd as hdcd, perhaps try a disc you are certain is all hdcd.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Effectively, sometimes only few tracks of an album are encoded in HDCD.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you for the replies, I've been typing in different genres in the genre drop down field but CD ripper doesn't seem to remember them the next time I start CD ripper. Is there any special process to making CD ripper remember the new genre tags. Also, I've now noticed that I've got three separate listings for "Rock" in the the genre drop down so the other question is how do you delete unwanted or duplicate genres?

Thanks for the info on the HDCD and Sonos replay gain questions, the official response from Sonos is also no support of RG which makes sense since there are no settings within Sonos for RG, so just to confirm, if there are RG tags present there will be no affect on volume if the player doesn't support RG correct? Also I'm assuming most players, like Foobar for example, have the option to use or not use the RG tags during playback.

Any thoughts as to why my drives don't always recognize that there is a disc inserted and I have to hit "retry" often.

Thanks again for the support.

Administrator

The treads I read suggest the sonos will use replaygain tags if they are present, as a test you can set the album and track gain tags to -60db and see if it makes the track very quiet.

To edit the genre list type this into Windows File Explorer address bar:

%appdata%\dbpoweramp

and edit the genres.txt file.