title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping using deeper bit depths and higher frequencies than the original media

Exclamation Ripping using deeper bit depths and higher frequencies than the original media

Dear Forum

First of all. I LOVE THIS PRODUCT SUITE. It is GREAT! BEST EVER! All it needs is Python support and I would be in hog heaven.

Anyway, nubby to all this as all other software has just turned me off. I want to make digital masters of my music and I would like to know the strengths and weaknesses of storing the digital masters using deeper bit depths and higher frequencies than the original CD, DVD or BR source. I understand about each WAVE file taking up far greater storage space than an equivalent FLAC or an MP3 file but is there any advantage to ripping at bit depths and frequencies that are higher than the source? I tried to understand about the benefits of dithering from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither*Usage, in general though can mathematics add, albeit speculatively, information where there was none originally? Does playing a 32-bit floating, 384 KHz rip of a 16-bit, 44.1 KHz source ‘sound’ better than the original? By using a sophisticated ripping engine such as dBpoweramp’s CD Ripper, can it and its internal mathematical functions make a better job of reconstituting the original analogue sine wave and, by doing so, better represent the since wave using greater bit depth and higher sampling frequency, than what most CD/DVD players can do internally?

What are people's advice. From my perspective, both 1st line storage (RAM) and 2nd line storage (SD cards, SSDs, HDDs, optical, etc.) are cheap as chips. Therefore I don't really care about the cost of storing such large files if I can have the best possible reproduction of my music.

Please give examples if you can.

Thanks,

Andrew

Administrator

Re: Ripping using deeper bit depths and higher frequencies than the original media

The best you can do is to rip to 44KHz, 16 bit, 2 channel as this matches the CD. Anything else is not giving you anything extra.

Note on playback your DAC might internally oversample, this is something the DAC does its self automatically to remove aliasing issues.

Re: Ripping using deeper bit depths and higher frequencies than the original media

Thanks. Clears up a lot :-)

And very sorry. Skimmed across 'Spoon's Audio Guide: In the Know' and did not read properly 'for best quality match the encoder with the source'.

Spoon is correct, some external DAC's will automatically up-sample
    I went with a Emotiva DC-1 because it does 'not'
    Some people have experienced 'smoother' playback up-sampling, I personally can't hear it so I leave everything as native
    Experiment with it, only you can answer that question