title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: just thanks...

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1

    just thanks...

    Updated to 16.1.

    Has been a long time, 10 years, maybe more years since I got in on this incredible gem. Think I started when db was just getting off the ground. Was state of the art then as it is state of the art now.

    Every update, every upgrade has been free.

    There is no audio conversion tool, no ripper out there that comes close to this.

    Thank you Spoon.

    John

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,919

    Re: just thanks...

    You are welcome

  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: just thanks...

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCK View Post
    Updated to 16.1.

    Has been a long time, 10 years, maybe more years since I got in on this incredible gem. Think I started when db was just getting off the ground. Was state of the art then as it is state of the art now.

    Every update, every upgrade has been free.
    I don't know how you manage this, but I have to pay for every upgrade to dBpweramp Music Converter.

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,919

    Re: just thanks...

    There are people who have 'Power Pack' version of dBpoweramp, it is not as featured as Reference.

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: just thanks...

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    There are people who have 'Power Pack' version of dBpoweramp, it is not as featured as Reference.
    Where are the details/features on the 'Power Pack' product? Where can the 'Power Pack' be purchased?

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,349

    Re: just thanks...

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I don't know how you manage this, but I have to pay for every upgrade to dBpweramp Music Converter.
    I have reference version. So updating .xx versions are always free. Only going up to next major version do I have to pay (and I recall it is a reduced price). So 15.0 to 15.1 or 15.2, etc. is a free update. Then going to 16.0 I have to pay. But when I just installed 16.1, it was a free update.

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    38,919

    Re: just thanks...

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Where are the details/features on the 'Power Pack' product? Where can the 'Power Pack' be purchased?
    We no longer advertise it having not sold it for 10 years.

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: just thanks...

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I have reference version. So updating .xx versions are always free. Only going up to next major version do I have to pay (and I recall it is a reduced price). So 15.0 to 15.1 or 15.2, etc. is a free update. Then going to 16.0 I have to pay. But when I just installed 16.1, it was a free update.
    Yes, I am aware updates are free, which is to be expected as these updates generally contain bug fixes. I was just confused by the OP stating that every update and every upgrade had been free.

    I also have no problem with paying for new major version releases which include new features.

    However, the lines begin to get blurred between new features, the implementation of tagging standards and bug fixes. Where I am not happy (and have experienced personally), is when other software developers force end users to have to pay for new major releases just to obtain bug fixes. It would be interesting to know whether this is the case with Illustrate, i.e. where applicable, have the bug fixes applied in R16.1, been applied to R15.3, R14.4, R13.5 etc., also.
    Last edited by mville; 08-12-2016 at 02:01 PM.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    40

    Re: just thanks...

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Yes, I am aware updates are free, which is to be expected as these updates generally contain bug fixes. I was just confused by the OP stating that every update and every upgrade had been free.

    I also have no problem with paying for new major version releases which include new features.

    However, the lines begin to get blurred between new features, the implementation of tagging standards and bug fixes. Where I am not happy (and have experienced personally), is when other software developers force end users to have to pay for new major releases just to obtain bug fixes. It would be interesting to know whether this is the case with Illustrate, i.e. where applicable, have the bug fixes applied in R16.1, been applied to R15.3, R14.4, R13.5 etc., also.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sheer amount of time and energy that it would take to apply bug fixes to older versions of software probably isn't worth it to the programmer. Just the process of hunting down lines of code as programming languages change is a nightmare and unfortunately people designing programming languages do not also build the tools to convert old language to new language for free. Consider Microsoft access and the nightmares that ensue when trying to convert an old database with (uuugh) VBA to a new format. If there were an optional monthly/yearly fee to support older updates, then maybe, but I fail to see why anyone would do that... (unless of course you are talking about the VST plugin, THAT I miss a lot. Would love to use StereoTool VST plugin with dBpoweramp :D )

  10. #10
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,627

    Re: just thanks...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the sheer amount of time and energy that it would take to apply bug fixes to older versions of software probably isn't worth it to the programmer. Just the process of hunting down lines of code as programming languages change is a nightmare and unfortunately people designing programming languages do not also build the tools to convert old language to new language for free. Consider Microsoft access and the nightmares that ensue when trying to convert an old database with (uuugh) VBA to a new format. If there were an optional monthly/yearly fee to support older updates, then maybe, but I fail to see why anyone would do that... (unless of course you are talking about the VST plugin, THAT I miss a lot. Would love to use StereoTool VST plugin with dBpoweramp :D )
    Yes, you are correct, it would take time and energy.

    However, if anyone sells a product that is not working correctly, it is my belief that you are obliged to fix it and not produce a new product and then expect the original purchaser to buy the new product.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •