title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping to Mac and then storing on an external Home Media Storage

Ripping to Mac and then storing on an external Home Media Storage

Good morning
    I am a new user and have all my music (1,500 CDs) ripped to iTunes.

I now want to start again and rip in lossless format - FLAC I guess - and store on my external storage (Seagate) and then stream to my HiFi.

My questions are, and sorry because I am a beginner:

Will downloading dBpoweramp to my Mac conflict with iTunes?

Will I need to manually point to dBpoweramp or iTunes every time I want to rip a CD?

Will dBpoweramp automatically recognise that I want the music stored on my external storage?

Essentially I want to store all my music in lossless format for streaming through my HiFi, and also preserve my existing iTunes music for more casual listening - at least to start with.

Sorry for such basic questions - all my music is sourced from CDs or Vinyl which I have been collecting for 40 years.

Many Thanks and I look forward to your help.

Best Wishes

Administrator

Re: Ripping to Mac and then storing on an external Home Media Storage

There will be no conflict, if you have set iTunes to automatically import CDs, you need to disable this, then start CD Ripper and insert CD.

You will need to tell dBpoweramp you want the files saving on the network share (you have to mount the share in Finder, so you can browse to it).

Thank you very much.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

And if you are using iTunes you should rip to Apple Lossless, not FLAC. The quality is the same, but iTunes can't read FLAC.