title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sorry, 2 Newbie questions: Purchase software for Mac and Windows&ripping uncompressed

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Sorry, 2 Newbie questions: Purchase software for Mac and Windows&ripping uncompre

Yes, you can easily use dbpoweramp to batch convert all your FLAC files to ALAC. This will preserve your metadata and artwork as well. Just setup the conversion properly (test on a few albums), and once happy with results you can convert all of them in one batch. Save your old FLAC files too as backup.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Sorry, 2 Newbie questions: Purchase software for Mac and Windows&ripping uncompre

You can easily test all your FLAC files. Just "convert" them to [TEST CONVERSION] as the utility CODEC in the batch converter program. If any of the FLAC files are corrupted, it will be reported to you by the program.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by currter View Post
    I know Apple/Mac does not support flac , so is this the reason why flac files on
    that platform one cannot see the metadata information such as the album art
    and other detailed information about the flac statistics when right clicking the
    flac file and selecting Get Info (the equivalent to Windows' Properties option).
    Probably, if you are referring to Apple OSX and Finder.

However, in the past 6 months, I have seen reports that Apple is starting to support flac on some of it's platforms.

I guess dbpoweramp would be a good tool to convert all the 20,000
    flac files to ALAC as I may have a need to have those type of audio files on a
    Mac server. I wonder if ALAC would show or preserve the metadata , album art
    information I worked so hard when converting CDs to flac.
    You should be able to convert flac to alac, whilst preserving artwork and metadata.

I do not think I want
    to redo ripping all those CDs again, though it could be a fun project to
    re-rip the entire library to Flac again using all uncompressed lossless as a new
    master library and then convert down to Levels 5, 8 and perhaps 1 compression for
    storage on various capacities devices and having a choice as to which type of
    compression to store on the type of device.
    If you have ripped the CDs using CD Ripper, why rip them again?

IMO, it is pointless having several flac libraries, with differing compression levels. Personally, I have a single flac library, compression level 8.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi again, you asked why re-rip them again.
    Well, when I ripped them the first time using your tool (using level 0)
    and in combination*
    with Windows Media Player and EAC, I was a novice and I was ripping
    CDs in parallel having up to 7 going at a time. I was not sure if that
    was causing the cross-corruption in just a few of obscure songs I never
    had encountered or listened to in my library. So I guess I wanted to
    do them all over again so I won't have any surprises. Also I have
    a few extra large capacity hard drives that could be put to some use
    as back ups for the flac files. Plenty of storage space for lots of music
    even if redundant.

Actually I do think the cross corruption could also be caused by when
    I copied the files from the source master Flac drive to either the USB flash
    or microSD card ... maybe I accidentally did a parallel copy instead of a
    sequential copy meaning I had 2 copies going on at the same time
    transferring the data. Or I did not wait until the first transfer of data
    was complete and I started another copy onto the same flash storage
    media causing some corrupted links in the files.

That is all... I will explore this possibility of iTunes supporting Flac on a
    macbook or iMac or MacMini (not an iPhone or iPad as I do not use those).
    ALAC is a minor priority as the Pioneer 4200NEX does not support that,
    it supports Flac-- I may just want something stored for one of my mac computers
    and using iTunes which does not seem to support Flac yet despite my pleas and
    emails to Apple's CEO Tim Cook. My requests have fallen upon deaf ears.
    I did a test ripping a CD using ALAC (ALE) in iTunes and though I cannot
    see the metadata on the Mac (though I used a Mac), I can see the
    metadata, album art information when I copied the files to Windows computer.
    I am not sure why Mac seems to not show that information doing a Get Info click.

I think the reason why I did not choose level compression 8 was because
    I thought the encoding and decoding would both take up too much processing time.
    When I converted using compression level 0 originally, I noticed that I was having
    problems loading the songs on my Pioneer NEX 4200 car stereo receiver. It was
    inconsistent behavior at times so I used your tool again to convert from level 0 to
    both uncompressed lossless and level 5. Using both of those, the flac files load
    fine in the car stereo thing and I have not had any problems. The EAC person told
    me that compression level 0 was not really supported and I should have just used
    level 1.
    I just wonder if there could be some problems with the original rip (0) and just
    want to start fresh. However so far so good ... a majority of the flac files seem fine
    and I may not have to do it all over again as you said. I may just want to and at a
    slower pace to make sure everything goes right and not have have the few surprises
    with the few "corrupt" files and have fun with it again going to level 8 this time.

Thank you for your concerns and suggestions.

* disclaimer: Though I had used dbpoweramp for the majority of the CDs in my
    about 1300 CD collection, there were times where the album art information
    was not easily accessible for some of those...weird... CDs like imports from Japan,Germany
    so I would just use Windows Media Player or EAC to easily get the metadata,
    album art information embedded in those flac files and move along. A team
    effort.
    Last edited by currter; 01-12-2018 at 04:39 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

OK, so you ripped some your CDs using Windows Media Player. You can use Batch Converter >> Test Conversion on your library to determine corrupted flacs.

I would also download and install PerfectTUNES and use the AccurateRip module to check the status of all your rips. Any non-AccurateRips, I would then re-rip in CD Ripper.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Just a few with WMP and EAC... For example I recall a CD I bought from Japan
    You'll Never Know by pianist Rodney Franklin for a jazzy song called "The Groove"
    on Columbia but issued by Sony Japan... I think at the time, there was discrepancy
    or the wrong album art appeared or maybe it was another import CD. Those were few
    and WMP or EAC got the correct information. Again just a few I encountered where your
    tool did not get the right metadata or was not in the database and instead of me getting stuck,
    I just kept things moving along by using the other tools.

Thank you.

And again, I think maybe only 2 flac files I used with level compression 0 the source flac files were
    corrupt and I just redid those few using a .wav file and inserting the metadata. The others I have
    encountered were corrupt by me transferring the flac files from the source and not letting that sequential
    copy fully complete (97% done) and I thought it was done and I started copying another set of
    flac files onto the same flash drive or card. I think those things you need to copy sequentially and not have
    many processes copying onto them. I was listening to a song and after 60% of the song another song
    started playing it was like A George Michael or Wham song was playing then an Usher song started
    so since Wham was in the W directory and Usher was in the U directory , there was a possibility those
    songs got crossed during the file transfer.

Oh that EAC engineer told me that he did not know why compression level 0 is allowed, it made no sense
    and if it was up to him , he would not allow it. He just said use compression levels 1 to 8.
    From my experience with compression level 0 , I was embarrassed one time when I was trying to
    demonstrate or play a song for a friend and the files took too long to load after powering the car off and restarting
    when I know they were playing prior. Level 0 caused all kinds of issues that I gave up on it and
    went to Level 5 and uncompressed lossless (size of .WAV but with album art associated).
    I use uncompressed lossless for the car on 2 portable drives each 512GBs, a tablet with 1TB SSD
    and I use level 5 for the Fiio X5 device that uses two 256 GB microsdxc cards.
    For the most part things work fine and load promptly in the car stereo unlike compression level 0

Well that should do it for me. I think I found an app for Mac to convert the Flac to ALAC
    and preserve the directories the files are under. The program is called Pine Player and it is
    free. I do not think I want to pay $4 for FlacTunes just yet ( or at all if Pine continues to be free and not
    have an expiration period for its complimentary use) I can see the album art too.
    I just deFlacked the Roberta Flack directory of songs converting from FLAC to ALAC or ALE on the MAC to
    some m4a files. What is the comparable compression level Apple uses? They seem slightly larger
    than FLAC ones that use Flac level compression level of 5.
    Last edited by currter; 01-12-2018 at 08:47 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I think I found an app for Mac to convert the Flac to ALAC
    and preserve the directories the files are under. The program is called Pine Player and it is
    free. I do not think I want to pay $4 for FlacTunes just yet ( or at all if Pine continues to be free and not
    have an expiration period for its complimentary use) I can see the album art too.
    I just deFlacked the Roberta Flack directory of songs converting from FLAC to ALAC or ALE on the MAC to
    some m4a files. What is the comparable compression level Apple uses? They seem slightly larger
    than FLAC ones that use Flac level compression level of 5.
    Why aren't you using dBpoweramp Music Converter to convert your flac files to alac?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I hope not to upset you but I was only working with Mac ... I had dbpoweramp on for Windows

I was really hoping to find something that would work within iTunes on the Mac to read, accept
    Flac files. I thought that FlacTunes would be embedded in iTunes or something but it costs $4.
    I am just finding my way with this with the Mac platform. Dbpoweramp was well established
    for use for the majority of the conversions of the CDs back Summer/Fall 2016 and early 2017
    when I had to reconvert from level 0 to level 5 & uncompressed lossless ... I even got a new
    Windows-based laptop to complete this project as I had problems with Bootcamp/Windows/
    Parallels on the Macbook/iMac I had at the time. Using Windows with dbpoweramp was a breeze
    and if you recall back then I was asking questions or debating if I should purchase or use your software
    for both operating systems and asked about discounts and stuff ...

I do not wish to purchase for more money to use dbpoweramp on Mac at this time and I did
    not want to be transferring the files from Windows to Mac. I just wanted to work off the Mac.

Who knows? The real thing is I was trying to find something within iTunes and I guess I
    still have not found that. Will dbpoweramp be embedded within iTunes ?

I will write Tim Cook another letter I guess.

I know you're going to say is convert all the files using dbpower amp and have iTunes
    discover them.

Does Dbpoweramp have different conversion levels for ALAC like it does for FLAC?
    Is there an ALAC uncompressed lossless form?

I have not really touched dbpoweramp in a while since completing the project pretty much last year
    this time with an exception of 1 or 2 "corrupted" files correction using a .WAV (but also EAC is there too).
    Well enough of this digging myself into a hole...

All the best as this is the end of the road for all these conversions (unless adding new CDs ). ALAC will be the
    end.

Thank you. Bye.
    Last edited by currter; 01-12-2018 at 01:37 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I hope not to upset you but I was only working with Mac ... I had dbpoweramp on for Windows
    Why would this upset me?

Will dbpoweramp be embedded within iTunes ?
    No.

I know you're going to say is convert all the files using dbpower amp and have iTunes
    discover them.
    Correct, I would advise this, but of course, you do not have to take my advice.

Does Dbpoweramp have different conversion levels for ALAC like it does for FLAC?
    Is there an ALAC uncompressed lossless form?
    No and it is not dBpoweramp that stipulates this but the codec/file format.