title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Any security/ hacking threat to enabling UPnP?

Any security/ hacking threat to enabling UPnP?

I apologize if this question has ben asked and answered 100 times on other threads. I could not find it:

I just bought and downloaded Asset UPnP to my laptop. The only intended use for the new software is to stream music from a hard drive to a nearby wifi stereo receiver.

Question: Should I change any settings in Windows 7 or in some Asset configuration to minimize the chance that I am making files on the computer visible to potential hackers? Is there a way to say that I want to allow communication only between my music folders and a particular named device. That I do not ever want to make my files visible outside my home network.

Thanks

Administrator

Re: Any security/ hacking threat to enabling UPnP?

UPnP is broadcast only to the local ip addresses, it is not possible to access it from outside your home network (unless you put lots of effort into doing so with port forwarding, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    UPnP is broadcast only to the local ip addresses, it is not possible to access it from outside your home network (unless you put lots of effort into doing so with port forwarding, etc).
    Got it! Thank you.

Is there another port which I have to forward instead of 26125 to use my Asset Music-Server with foobar outside my local home-lan?

I already forwarded port 26125. Foobar finds the server, can read all contents, but can't play ....... that's the same with plug player. So I'll expect that there is something wrong with my port forwarding.

Administrator

Playing is done over the same port as browsing, 26125