title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

BE CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING R16 - Forced Reboot After R16 Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charles Hansen
    • Dec 2009

BE CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING R16 - Forced Reboot After R16 Upgrade

Hi Spoon,

I've not yet used it so I can't comment on the new features. However I was severely disappointed that when I upgraded from R15.2 to R16 (Windows), the install program gave me 40 seconds to try and shut down all of my programs before a forced reboot. This was a nightmare as I typically have at least a dozen programs open at a time and it requires at least several minutes to shut things down in in orderly fashion before reboot.

Even Microsoft will ask if you want to reboot now or later. Can you please add this to the installer code? It would probably take less time on your end than it will for me to reconstruct the state of my computer and lost unsaved documents after a forced shutdown for no particular reason. You guys are such killer programmers that I can't believe this one slipped through.

Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: BE CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING R16 - Forced Reboot After R16 Upgrade

For R16 the installer when it finishes, it has 3 options visible (adding icons, showing help) the 4th option is to reboot which is not shown on screen and needs to be scrolled down to see. I already have made a note that this is likely to catch some people out, so will rewrite the installer to put reboot first for 16.1
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Charles Hansen
      • Dec 2009

Re: BE CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING R16 - Forced Reboot After R16 Upgrade

Originally posted by Spoon
      For R16 the installer when it finishes, it has 3 options visible (adding icons, showing help) the 4th option is to reboot which is not shown on screen and needs to be scrolled down to see. I already have made a note that this is likely to catch some people out, so will rewrite the installer to put reboot first for 16.1
      Awesome, thanks for the quick response and forthcoming fix. I think there were a couple of other quirks in the installer. I'm just an analog hardware engineer so I'm probably talking out of place, but my understanding is that most companies one of a few commercially available installers. If it is worth it to you I am happy to uninstall and/or reinstall in an attempt to recreate the other quirks.

The forced reboot had me saying some bad words, but the other things were minor, such as creation of desktop icons or similar minor issues. Firefox recovers really well from a crash or forced shutdown, but many of my programs are old and don't cope well with a forced reboot.

Comment

Working...

]]>