title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

merging double/boxsets into 1 folder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daleyb
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2014

merging double/boxsets into 1 folder

Hi Folks hope all well. I don't know why but after ripping some Double CD's (Some times single artists, sometimes Comps..) They still Split into 2 Discs Same artwork too on my tablet (running a Squeezebox, LMS and Squeeze controller app..).Please note Iam using MP3 tag To ensure 01 Disc Put in.Also Before ripping putting in 1/1 For Disc, Then 1/1 (for 2nd 3rd Disc etc..)

Most of the time Putting Multiple Discs in One Folder works Fine and pops up on my Tablet just Fine.Any Ideas what I am doing right and things to check (When wrong..?)

Ive even had ONE cd split into 2-Thats just one CD!! (with numbering wrong.it was a comp CD..) but when i recheck in foobar/ mp3 tag..Everything looks fine...

please note: The above are rare events...But Niddle me just the same.

Also regarding box sets.Lets take those Original series ones that are about 5 CDs with card for covers.I guess its personal on if one wants to separate into Individual albums with artwork showing for each album - Or merge the 5 into One.Of Course when I tried to merge into one folder mine still split into 5 albums on my tablet...any ideas how to get around this..??
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: merging double/boxsets into 1 folder

Why are you using 1/1 for each disc, when for a 3-CD album, disc number would be 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3?

Have you checked that the Album name tags for all tracks on the album, are identical?

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
      Why are you using 1/1 for each disc, when for a 3-CD album, disc number would be 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3?

Have you checked that the Album name tags for all tracks on the album, are identical?
      agree with mville's points, and also (related to squeezeboxes) make sure that if you have any tracks on a CD that have multiple artists (or a different artist than the other tracks), you include a tag value for ALBUM ARTIST for each track on the CD. For example, if I have a CD that is Dave Alvin for every track except one track is "Dave Alvin; Lucinda Williams", then Squeezebox will treat this differently *unless* you have "Dave Alvin" as the ALBUM ARTIST for all the CD tracks. This is likely not your issue, but worth knowing that LMS/Squeezeboxes will treat CDs as compilation CDs if either the Compilation tag =1 *or* if there is at least one track on an album that has differing track artists.

Comment

• Oggy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2015

Hi daleyb,

Guess you could do this a few ways, but only for compilations I join the discs, putting them into one folder by using the number offset. As has been said the artist and album naming must be identical, I keep 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 and simply add number offset +100 for disc 1, +200 for disc 2 etc. I also find the album art I want to use for the set, and use the same for each disc in the set.

This does add more time before ripping, but (so far!) by sorting out tagging and art pre-rip, saves editing later.

For some programs, what garym mentioned is essential.

Original album series, twofers and multi albums on less discs from single artists, I go the other direction, putting them back into their original albums, with their original individual album art, again using number offset, before ripping. A bit more time consuming, but it makes it look like I own more albums than I do!

Guess this is all down to how the individual wants their collection stored / displayed.

Oggy.
        Last edited by Oggy; 07-14-2016, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Oggy
          Guess you could do this a few ways, but only for compilations I join the discs, putting them into one folder by using the number offset. As has been said the artist and album naming must be identical, I keep 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 and simply add number offset +100 for disc 1, +200 for disc 2 etc. I also find the album art I want to use for the set, and use the same for each disc in the set.

This does add more time before ripping, but (so far!) by sorting out tagging and art pre-rip, saves editing later.
          Sorry, but there must be something I am not understanding here. Please can you explain the need for the number offset?

Comment

• Dat Ei
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2014

Hey mville,

Sorry, but there must be something I am not understanding here. Please can you explain the need for the number offset?
            in my opinion this is the attempt to compensate a bad naming scheme or the missing knowledge about disc numbers or how this problem can be solved very elegant. This thread is an indication.

Dat Ei

Comment

• daleyb
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Oct 2014

Not been on here for a while and good to see old faces (well names) still helping out..."Ripping Royalty" indeed.
              Talking of Ripping Royalty I am Sure it was Spoon who suggested I Use 1/1 and 1/1 on 2nd 3rd disc etc ..On disc setting and then apply offset number to keep number flow. To be honest I doubt if this really matters due to me applying "01" in Discs in MP3 tag to all..(For me Iam not too fussed about knowing if the track belonged to Disc 1 or 3 CD in folder just want them merging in one folder)

My CDs which have Spilt do have other artists included...meaning you must be correct there GaryM. Fortunately there not too many...so a re-rip(s) in order . Now I have a streamer (thanks to your advice) Its no longer a walk in the Dark and I can correct my workflow has I go...

It would also be nice to get a 5 cd box set and keep in one folder but change artwork for each album..But even in MP3 TAG don't think that's possible...or is it..?

P.S. the one CD That split...I just re-ripped and its now just fine.

Comment

• Oggy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Dat Ei
                Hey mville,

in my opinion this is the attempt to compensate a bad naming scheme or the missing knowledge about disc numbers or how this problem can be solved very elegant. This thread is an indication.

Dat Ei
                Hi mville and garym,

Thanks again for your continued support and better solutions.

Dat Ei, I did try your much more elegant arrangement, and a couple of colleagues used your naming scheme as a basis for theirs - so thank you on their behalf. Can't recall why I tried, and then didn't use your Disc number scheme, but totally agree that is a far more elegant, and time saving solution! Maybe I will re-visit...

Once again, many thanks for your excellent help and advice.

Oggy
                Last edited by Oggy; 07-15-2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by daleyb
                  Not been on here for a while and good to see old faces (well names) still helping out..."Ripping Royalty" indeed.
                  Talking of Ripping Royalty I am Sure it was Spoon who suggested I Use 1/1 and 1/1 on 2nd 3rd disc etc ..On disc setting and then apply offset number to keep number flow. To be honest I doubt if this really matters due to me applying "01" in Discs in MP3 tag to all..(For me Iam not too fussed about knowing if the track belonged to Disc 1 or 3 CD in folder just want them merging in one folder)

My CDs which have Spilt do have other artists included...meaning you must be correct there GaryM. Fortunately there not too many...so a re-rip(s) in order . Now I have a streamer (thanks to your advice) Its no longer a walk in the Dark and I can correct my workflow has I go...

It would also be nice to get a 5 cd box set and keep in one folder but change artwork for each album..But even in MP3 TAG don't think that's possible...or is it..?

P.S. the one CD That split...I just re-ripped and its now just fine.
                  You don't need to re-rip to fix these things, just edit your tags (e.g., add ALBUM ARTIST) and edit your file names/directory locations. by the way, I have zero issues with the following:

x:\music\artist\album\disk 1\01 - track.flac
                  x:\music\artist\album\disk 2\01 - track.flac

That is, for multiple disk albums, I have a subdirectory under the album name which holds each disk. And my numbering for each track within a disk is 01, 02, etc. (I don't use the 100, 200, etc. disk offset). And for each disk, they would have disk numbers in tags of 1/3, 2/3, 3/3, etc. And I use ALBUM ARTIST instead of ARTIST, where I have the former in the tags. My naming string which automatically handles single or multidisk albums and whether album artist exists or not and whether something is compilation or not is:
                  [IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dat Ei
                    Dat Ei, thank you for the clarification. I've seen a few threads in recent times referring to the use of number offset and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

IMO, using [disc] and [track] in the Naming scheme is a much simpler solution.

Comment

• mville
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2008

..(For me Iam not too fussed about knowing if the track belonged to Disc 1 or 3 CD in folder just want them merging in one folder)

It is possible to Rip all tracks for a single multi-CD Album in a single folder. In fact, that is how I organise my albums, 1 folder per album.

This is possible, but you would need to embed the artwork in each file, rather than have 5 individual jpg files within the folder.

Comment

• Oggy
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2015

Dat Ei, thank you for the clarification. I've seen a few threads in recent times referring to the use of number offset and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

IMO, using [disc] and [track] in the Naming scheme is a much simpler solution.
                        Hi mville,

I originally chose to use number offset as this gave an elegant visual solution. I saw someone using this and thought it neat that for example, 206 was Disc 2 track 6. - I did try the Disc command, but the elegant readout outweighed the (as I now know!) many advantages, and elegant in its' simplicity, Disc command. It was a deliberate bad decision!

I certainly was struggling with naming schemes, and was not aware of the many benefits of using Disc. Having revisited it this afternoon, yes, I agree, using Disc and track in the naming scheme, is a MUCH simpler solution.

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Oggy
                          I originally chose to use number offset as this gave an elegant visual solution. I saw someone using this and thought it neat that for example, 206 was Disc 2 track 6. - I did try the Disc command, but the elegant readout outweighed the (as I now know!) many advantages, and elegant in its' simplicity, Disc command. It was a deliberate bad decision!

I certainly was struggling with naming schemes, and was not aware of the many benefits of using Disc. Having revisited it this afternoon, yes, I agree, using Disc and track in the naming scheme, is a MUCH simpler solution.
                          Doesn't [disc][track] in the naming scheme file name, give you 206 for Disc 2 Track 6. FYI, I use [disc].[track] and I get 2.06 (please note, Pad track to 2 digits is selected in the CDRipper Options)

Comment

• Oggy
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2015

Doesn't [disc][track] in the naming scheme file name, give you 206 for Disc 2 Track 6. FYI, I use [disc].[track] and I get 2.06 (please note, Pad track to 2 digits is selected in the CDRipper Options)
                            It does indeed. I made an easy thing, with the correct naming scheme, harder and more time consuming than necessary.

Comment

• daleyb
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by garym
                              You don't need to re-rip to fix these things, just edit your tags (e.g., add ALBUM ARTIST) and edit your file names/directory locations. by the way, I have zero issues with the following:

x:\music\artist\album\disk 1\01 - track.flac
                              x:\music\artist\album\disk 2\01 - track.flac

That is, for multiple disk albums, I have a subdirectory under the album name which holds each disk. And my numbering for each track within a disk is 01, 02, etc. (I don't use the 100, 200, etc. disk offset). And for each disk, they would have disk numbers in tags of 1/3, 2/3, 3/3, etc. And I use ALBUM ARTIST instead of ARTIST, where I have the former in the tags. My naming string which automatically handles single or multidisk albums and whether album artist exists or not and whether something is compilation or not is:
                              UPDATE: Tried naming strings (as recommended by Garym) and it Done the Job great - All In 1 folder Now. To be honest never really got naming strings in past, but this was perhaps ripping being without a streamer.I now get its importance (having a streamer). In the past just did [artist] - [Track]. Thankfully This still worked even for some multi- box sets...Without other artists on plus Just Single Cds just fine.. I have about 20 CDs just to tweak in MP3 Tag (Or re-rip if needed, Some CD's are Still not going into one folder in MP3 TAG.)

I also notice you can either put one CD into a folder(after rip) then it creates another folder for Individual CD'S, or creates a one folder for multi Box sets and all tracks go into that....Great.

I used to create my own folder..After rip put all tracks in that folder. It of Course takes less time by having it done for you, slightly. Another habit I've got into is in MP3 tag using auto numbering 1/1,1/2 Etc.. Instead of just leaving it 01, 02 etc..... Dont think that really matters as numbers Shouldn't jumble either way. Its just any change in Streamer may see/ read it different in the future...

So back to tweak 20 Cds.. Not Bad after ripping over 1000!( Although I doubt there's a few more mistakes than that..)

Thanks to all the usual crew for the help and advice!

Comment

Working...

]]>