title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do I change this specific setting that I want?

How do I change this specific setting that I want?

Great software!

But there is one thing that I would like to change...

Currently, when the software rips songs to my hard drive it automatically puts the songs in an artist folder, which is inside another album folder, which is inside yet another folder. I think you know what I am talking about.

How do I change it so that when I rip a disc all the songs go into just a single folder?

I saw something in the software that looks like it is the setting that needs to be changed, but it looks quite complicated.

Re: How do I change this specific setting that I want?

Well I have a beginning on it. I hit the Set button and changed all that gobbleygook in the top box to something simple like [title].

I'm getting closer to what I want but let me try to be more specific:

When I rip a CD to a folder all I really need is the name of the individual songs.

Like this is all I need to show:

Facing The Animal

In other words I don't need the song number or the artist or the album name.

Just the song title and that's it.

Advise?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
    Currently, when the software rips songs to my hard drive it automatically puts the songs in an artist folder, which is inside another album folder, which is inside yet another folder. I think you know what I am talking about.
    Album Artist as a parent folder, with Albums as sub-folders, seems very sensible to me.

How do I change it so that when I rip a disc all the songs go into just a single folder?

I saw something in the software that looks like it is the setting that needs to be changed, but it looks quite complicated.
    FYI, the default Naming string is:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

For more information have a look here: dBpoweramp Naming

If you would like more help to accomplish this single folder approach, please can you describe the criteria you want to base the single folder on?

dBpoweramp Guru

When I rip a CD to a folder all I really need is the name of the individual songs.

Like this is all I need to show:

Facing The Animal

In other words I don't need the song number or the artist or the album name.

Just the song title and that's it.

Advise?
    If you just use the Title tag, albums with tracks with the same name will get overwritten, hence the need for Track Number i.e. to make the filenames within a folder, unique.

What are you using to name the folder?

The songs will not get overwritten. Before I start ripping a new disc, I would have already removed the contents of the folder.

The folder that I will use for a default ripping folder is called Internet Downloads.

It's not a big deal if I can't get this setup exactly as I want though. I can certainly live with the default naming convention.

dBpoweramp Guru

The songs will not get overwritten. Before I start ripping a new disc, I would have already removed the contents of the folder.

The folder that I will use for a default ripping folder is called Internet Downloads.
    I was talking about a single CD, where tracks on the CD have the same name. There are few of these I know, but they do exist.

If you wish to rip a CD into a single, already determined folder (e.g. Internet Downloads), and you don't believe you will run into the duplicate title issue, then yes, you can just use [title] as your Naming string.