title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: RIPPER - Save Profiles and DVD-A Support

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

RIPPER - Save Profiles and DVD-A Support

Please, please . . . can we have ability to save ripping profiles?

Also can we have DVD-A ripping added?

There are plenty of third-party decryption tools for DVD-A, so no need for illustrate to go there . . . and provided you own the media, the legal issues become moral issues.

Thanks - awesome products.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: RIPPER - Save Profiles and DVD-A Support

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    Please, please . . . can we have ability to save ripping profiles?
    You can already save profiles in CDRipper.

Also can we have DVD-A ripping added?

There are plenty of third-party decryption tools for DVD-A, so no need for illustrate to go there . . . and provided you own the media, the legal issues become moral issues.
    You could also add DVD-V, SACDs, Blu-ray audio to the list, but I doubt we will ever see the ability to rip hi-res audio in the Illustrate suite.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    You can already save profiles in CDRipper.
    yes. but he may mean save the ripping profiles *externally* to be imported upon future install of dbpa.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    yes. but he may mean save the ripping profiles *externally* to be imported upon future install of dbpa.
    Yes, maybe.

If he/she is referring to backing up profiles, the only way currently in Windows, is to export the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\C DRipper\Profiles

However, if end users are not familiar with the Windows registry and the risks involved with using registry editing software, this is far from ideal.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yes - I meant save profiles that can be imported into future installs. I have used the windows registry export and it doesn't reliably import. The registry settings stick but for example DSP settings (like replay gain) are flakey. The settings appear in the interface but the DSP action does not work.

mville - just curious about your statement . . . why wouldn't Illustrate consider hi-res support? (obviously not SACD)

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes - I meant save profiles that can be imported into future installs. I have used the windows registry export and it doesn't reliably import. The registry settings stick but for example DSP settings (like replay gain) are flakey. The settings appear in the interface but the DSP action does not work.
    I reported this problem a couple of years ago. See here: Config File

just curious about your statement . . . why wouldn't Illustrate consider hi-res support? (obviously not SACD)
    CDRipper only rips discs in the CD-Audio (CD-DA) format, however this is a mass market format so the demand for ripping CDs is large.

I suspect Illustrate have considered ripping hi-res disc formats, but these formats are not commonly used. It would be a lot of work to support more disc formats for a relatively small number of users.

dBpoweramp Guru

In addition to mville's statement: CD-DA is a format without copy protection. If an audio cd has a copy protection then it is not a CD-DA in the sense of Sony and Philips. HiRes formats like SACD are copy protected. A software breaking the copy protection might break laws.

Dat Ei