title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rip as 1

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chileboy
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2007

Rip as 1

I have been using dBpoweramp for a long time and one thing has always frustrated me, and that is the "Rip as 1" functionality. I just upgraded (again) to R16 in the hopes that it would be easier. I first asked in this forum back in 2012, and twice since, also put it in a formal product request, but I don't think the feature has been improved.

I can't help but think I must be missing something.

The only way I can discover to do it is to click the "Rip as 1" icon, and then calculate the start and end times and manually input them (or use the mouse buttons, if you have a steady hand). It's easy enough if you're combining, for instance, the first two tracks. But after that it's incredibly tedious.

Right now I am trying to rip a live Jazz CD that has tracks like this: Intro to track 2 / Track 2 / Intro to track 4 / Track 4, etc.

Obviously I want to "Rip as 1" Tracks 1 and 2, then tracks 3 and 4, etc.

Is there any way to do it other than manually figuring out that Track 3 starts at 7:51 on the disc and track 4 ends at 10:32? Isn't there some way of simply selecting the two (or more) tracks and ripping them as 1?

Like I said, please tell me I'm missing some new feature, as the product is so advanced.

(I tried searching the forum before asking, but if I search for "Rip as 1", no quotes, it says there's too many hits, if I put it in quotes it says no hits.)

Thanks very much.

- Mark
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Rip as 1

I not think there is an easy way of you doing what you want to do.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chileboy
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Nov 2007

Hi Spoon -

Not sure if you mean "it can't be done in the program now" or "it can't be easily programmed".

If it's the latter, I'm not sure I understand. Obviously the program already knows the start-and-end points of every track- they're even indicated by tiny hash marks on the Rip as 1 graph. I don't see what would be so difficult about providing an easy way to just select two or more contiguous tracks. Or even just indicate the start-and-end LBAs for each track in the track listing so you could type them in manually? I don't know.

If I'm being dense or missing something, I apologize - I'm not trying to be a pain, but it's something I need to do fairly often and its very frustrating the way it is now and IMHO mars an otherwise amazing program.

Thanks for listening!

- Mark

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

I meant there is no easy way of doing what you want with dBpoweramp as it stands now.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chileboy
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Nov 2007

Do you think it's something that could be implemented? Over hte weekend, I downloaded the latest EAC and it is easily done with that, exactly as I was asking - I can check two or more tracks and easily rip them to a single track without specifying start and end times.

Of course, it doesn't have all of the of the features that I love in dBpoweramp...

Thanks Spoon,

- Mark

Comment

• schmidj
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2013

My comments here really belong in the "wish list" but I'm adding them here because they concern the same subject, rip as 1.

It isn't something I use often, but it has saved me on a few occasions where the PQ data on the CD is wrong. But, as the other poster said, it is an unfriendly interface. One simple thing that would really help, is a "clock" display of the CD as it is being played in Rip as 1, so I could see the time related to what I'm hearing, in my case when the track actually begins and ends. Now it is very much a case of repeated trial and error. If I could see the time, I could note the point I want to enter for the beginning and/or end so I could then enter it in the rip as 1 page.

Another annoying "feature" I discovered, if you have metadata for most or all of the tracks in the cache, and then use the "rip as 1" option, all the metadata for the whole CD is erased/written over, and if you want to use it to rip the rest of the CD, you have to enter it all over again. (this assumes none of the databases had entries for the CD.)

Any chance of these issues being addressed?

Comment

• chileboy
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by schmidj
              I discovered, if you have metadata for most or all of the tracks in the cache, and then use the "rip as 1" option, all the metadata for the whole CD is erased/written over, and if you want to use it to rip the rest of the CD, you have to enter it all over again. (this assumes none of the databases had entries for the CD.)

Any chance of these issues being addressed?
              +1

Comment

Working...

]]>