title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Folder names changing from my defaults

Folder names changing from my defaults

I'm sure this has been covered but I'm not able to find it with a search, so apologies.

I'm doing a batch conversion from flac to MP3. After the initial rip I went through and changed the folder names from (say):
    Jimmy Barnes
    to Barnes, Jimmy

and I would like to keep them that way for the MP3 conversions. I have checked the Dynamic box, and set the main folder to where I want files to go (within their sub-folders). In Dynamic I have specified [artist]\[album]\[track] and a few others. I have to do it this way because otherwise it just copies all the files to the main folder if i don't check Dynamic.

However, what happens is that Barnes, Jimmy now becomes Jimmy Barnes again (from [artist]\[album]).

I'm starting to think that I'll either have to copy each set of tracks individually to each folder (which I would have to create - very painful)
    OR
    go through and rename everything again with my own conventions (less painful, but not good).

Is that right, or is there an easy automated way around this please?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Folder names changing from my defaults

you've changed the name of the file filder to "barnes, jimmy" but the dynamic naming is not using file folder name, it is using the tag value for [artist] which you hadn't changed. Why not create ARTISTSORT tag (with value: Barnes, Jimmy, and then use [artistsort] in your dynamic naming.

Are you trying to get the mp3 aritst to be named "Barnes, Jimmy" or do you just want the directory to be named "barnes, Jimmy" or ?????

Thanks for your reply Gary. I just want to keep the folder name as Barnes, Jimmy (is that what you mean by Directory?).

ARTISTSORT tag? Would I be using what is referenced here?

Sorry, brand new to this.

dBpoweramp Guru

yes, folder = directory/subdirectory

the reference you linked to is just a page on dymamic naming, which is the method by which you can create file names and folders based on information in your tags (such as artist, album, artistsort, etc.). Of course the problem is that you don't currently have values within your ARTISTSORT tag, do that won't help you. There are ways you can use mp3tag.exe and regedit functions to create artistsort tag and/or rename directories/folders, but this takes a bit of programming knowledge, that I don't even use....

I see. Sounds like i have some manual renaming to do again......(which sucks)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    I see. Sounds like i have some manual renaming to do again......(which sucks)
    there are ways to automate it. for example, if you already have the folders named as say, "Barnes, Jimmy" with the FLAC files, then do this:

in dynamic naming, don't use [artist]/[album], etc. Instead use:

[origpath]\[origfilename]

then it will keep the name of your folders and filenames (but will instead be mp3 file instead of flac file). But you want these files to be under a different parent directory (folder). So, say your files are like this now:

c:\music\flac\Beatles, The\Abbey Road\01 - Something.flac

and you want to automate naming of your converted mp3 files with dymanic naming.

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][]\[origfilename]

In dynamic naming tell it the top folder is c:\music\mp3
    Then the above should give you the converted mp3 files in

c:\music\mp3\Beatles, The\Abbey Road\01 - Something.mp3

test this. You can play around with how many parent folders are in your string, by adding more remove commands, such as:

Preserving Source Path and Filename (remove first two folders):

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][]\[origfilename]

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Preserving Source Path and Filename (remove first two folders):

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][]\[origfilename]
    Excellent - that's done exactly what I want! Thanks very much Gary.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Excellent - that's done exactly what I want! Thanks very much Gary.
    Excellent. And going forward, when you rip new CDs you should consider adding the ARTISTSORT tag to your metadata.

I pasted this in the set file naming and it says I have to use dynamic names like title and track. All I want is for the ripped flac files to go via the path selected into one folder with no subfolders. This happened since I reinstalled dbpoweramp from a windows 10 reinstall;.

Administrator

What exactly is your filenaming?