title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to go from FLAC file -> Wavegain -> LAME MP3?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Agharta
    • Oct 2006

How to go from FLAC file -> Wavegain -> LAME MP3?

I'm wondering if there is a way to use the Batch Converter to take a FLAC file, wavegain it, then send the wavegained output to LAME MP3 in one step?

For years I have been ripping CDs to FLAC, then using the batch converter to make MP3s, then taking the MP3s and running them through MP3gain so that each track has the same average loudness. MP3gain is available here:
    MP3Gain - A free automatic mp3 volume normalizer

I am wondering if there is anyway to in one step go from FLAC to an MP3 made from a wavegained version of the FLAC file?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How to go from FLAC file -> Wavegain -> LAME MP3?

mp3gain adjusts the mp3 file without decoding it, on a frame by frame basis. As you are encoding to mp3, you can apply the gain whilst encoding, use the DSP effect 'Volume Normalize'
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Agharta
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
      mp3gain adjusts the mp3 file without decoding it, on a frame by frame basis. As you are encoding to mp3, you can apply the gain whilst encoding, use the DSP effect 'Volume Normalize'
      OK great.

I just tried it using the ReplayGain setting. Is this the same as using MP3gain track gain set to 89 dB?

I understand that MP3gain is a reversible whereas it seems using this ReplayGain method can't be undone (I'd have to re-encode the files).

Can you explain the difference between ReplayGain and EBU R 128?

Thanks

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

EBU is a newer standard, the 89db is the standard replaygain match level.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
          EBU is a newer standard, the 89db is the standard replaygain match level.
          I use EBU R128 at "-18" (the default in dBpa) to approximately match the loudness of all my older files that have the old ReplayGain (at 89db). Note that ReplayGain tagging in dbpa has the option to use the EBU R128 option.

Comment

Working...

]]>