title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Volume Normalize for Older CD's

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hockeytown777
    • Aug 2014

Volume Normalize for Older CD's

In my collection I have several CD's that were produced in the 70's, 80's, early 90's that sound quieter when playing the lossless files back in comparison to anything that was produced on modern day equipment.
    Wondering if anyone can explain how to correct for this sound reduction when ripping non-remastered versions of older CD's into my collection?
    (I'm assuming it's the DSP effect "volume normalize" but within that, which options to pick to make these older CD's sound remastered)
    Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Volume Normalize for Older CD's

You are best to use a Replaygain compatible player, then you can set the volume adjustment in the ID Tags (with a replaygain DSP effect).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Hockeytown777
      • Aug 2014

Thanks for the reply.

How do I know if a player is Replaygain compatible?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Search for the player name and replaygain in google.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Hotdog
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Nov 2015

I've been using the iTunes ReplayGain tag as advised in Spoon's Ripping Guide. Seems to mostly be good, although it hasn't done much to one early CD from 1986 which still sounds very quiet in comparison to others.

Comment

• thexfile
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jul 2010

The older digital music used LP master tapes and had more dynamic range. More dynamic range makes the audio sound quieter or weaker.

With my older CDs sometimes I would make Wav files and use adobe audition to amplify that way so I could watch for any clipping. Then convert convert them to mp3 files.

Comment

Working...

]]>