title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Set maximum length?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Set maximum length?

When I drag my ripped music into iTunes, I have been experiencing the "filename too long" error. Of course if I shorten the filename it's then fine, it doesn't affect the Title tag. But to save me from having to do this in future, can someone please explain the custom setting I believe you can add to DB Power Amp which will automatically truncate filenames at a length acceptable to Windows and iTunes? The error is:

'Attempting to copy to the disk "Seagate Expansion Drive" failed. The file name was invalid or too long.'

Administrator

Re: Set maximum length?

The issue is, you are ripping to a location, such as c:\music\, dBpoweramp will automatically set the right maximum length of the file name based on that folder. If you then move to iTunes which has combined folders of a much longer length then the filename + path is over the 260 characters which many programs limit to.

Change the naming in CD Ripper to something like:

[maxlength]200,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title][]

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, but where do I add this setting? Please explain how to do it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog View Post
    Thanks, but where do I add this setting? Please explain how to do it.
    As Spoon says above: Change the naming in CD Ripper

Open CDRipper and click the Set button, adjacent to Naming (found in the bottom left section of the main CDRipper window). This will open the dBpoweramp: Set File Naming window where users edit the Naming string. The [MAXLENGTH]maxlength,string[] function is last in the Elements list, so scroll the Elements list to view it.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

OK, thanks, I wanted to be sure I was changing the right setting. I had a feeling that was the place. I've replaced the last element in the list with Spoon's suggest naming.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog View Post
    OK, thanks, I wanted to be sure I was changing the right setting. I had a feeling that was the place. I've replaced the last element in the list with Spoon's suggest naming.
    Remember also (in the example here), the maxlength value only truncates the Naming string to a maximum length of 200 characters. The value you have set in Path and the file extension need to be taken into consideration when evaluating the full pathname length.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The issue is, you are ripping to a location, such as c:\music\, dBpoweramp will automatically set the right maximum length of the file name based on that folder. If you then move to iTunes which has combined folders of a much longer length then the filename + path is over the 260 characters which many programs limit to.
    The limit of 260 characters is really a shame and a big problem. For many year NTFS is able to handle paths containing up to 32767 characters, but the problem is that not all programs, even those of Windows itself (i.e. file explorer), are capable to handle paths that long. In our company we've made the experience, that Adobe Acrobat is able to handle long paths with more than 260 characters, while Acrobat Reader is not. So one colleague can create a pdf doc with Acrobat and path longer than 260 characters, but the other colleague with Acrobat Reader isn't able to open that doc. Really a mess up!

Now Microsoft seems to be willing to stop this. In the actual preview of Windows 10 the limit is removed! Read this. Hope we will see this in the release version.

Dat Ei

On MacOS, where such "path length restrictions" do not exist, it looks like dbpoweramp cuts filenames (not the whole path) at 250 characters.
    Tried to overcome this by adding "[maxlength]512", but 250 chars seems to be a hard limit, which is a bit of a bummer, in particular when it comes to ripping/encoding classical/jazz.

If there's really no way to get around that, I'd like to be able to set it to cut at the very end of the name string, any idea on how to achieve this?

Administrator

250 is the hard limit.