title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: FDK AAC encoder is in encoder folder, but isn't available in Converter/Ripper (v15.3)

FDK AAC encoder is in encoder folder, but isn't available in Converter/Ripper (v15.3)

There must be something simple that I'm missing. No matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall (even with Norton Antivirus turned off) this encoder is unavailable from within the programs. Happened since I upgraded to dbPoweramp v15.3. Ideas please?

Administrator

Re: FDK AAC encoder is in encoder folder, but isn't available in Converter/Ripper (v1

You must have both 32 bit and 64 bit version of dBpoweramp installed. Uninstall all dBpoweramp items you can, then run:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...rom-the-System

Reboot and reinstall.

Re: FDK AAC encoder is in encoder folder, but isn't available in Converter/Ripper (v1

Well Spoon,
    I did all of that, and no luck. I even re-downloaded the v5.3 installer and started absolutely from scratch. All antivirus and firewall turned off. I don't get it. I have never had even a whisper of a problem with dbpoweramp over at least 10 years. Any more ideas?

Administrator

Does it list the encoder? but when selected it shows no settings?

Yes, that's correct. It lists the encoder, but no settings appear. Settings for the "built-in" codecs are there and work appropriately. All of the encoder files are in the Program files\dBpoweramp folder where they belong.

Administrator

What exact path is dBpoweramp installed to? and is it the 64 bit version?

The path is C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp. The dBpoweramp Configuration shows 64-bit registered reference release 15.3. However, under its Codecs tab, the FDK AAC encoder is NOT shown as installed. This is despite, as indicated before, the m4a FDK (AAC) encoder folder is present in the C:\Program Files
    dBpoweramp directory. This is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system. Thanks for trying to help.

Administrator

The clearing program you ran and cleared both settings and files?

Yes, as far as I can tell. I'll try one more time...

OK, here's what I just did:
    1. Uninstalled dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a FDK (AAC) Encoder using Control Panel
    2. Uninstalled dBpoweramp DSP effects
    3. Uninstalled dBpoweramp R15.3
    4. Shut down completely and rebooted
    5. Ran reset application with right click, run as administrator
    6. Ran reset application with regular double-click
    7. Shut down completely and rebooted

No dBpoweramp folder remains in C:\Program files or C:\Program files (x86)
    No dBpoweramp folder remains in AppData

I am ready to reinstall. Should I do anything particular when I reinstall?
    Normally I would run the dB R15.3 installer and then run the FDK AAC installer. I got the FDK AAC Release 3 installer from https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm
    Would you try anything different?
    Thanks

Administrator

Check that C:\Program files (x86)\Illustrate does not exist.

Spoon, I may be on to something here. I reinstalled dBpoweramp R15.3. I then started the dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a FDK (AAC) Encoder.exe application. When I hit "Run" the dialog box said Program name was "74A6.tmp-dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a FDK (AAC) Encoder-32.exe" Does the "32" at the end of that mean it is trying to install a 32-bit encoder? I am running 64-bit Converter. Could that be the problem?

If so, how do I force the installer to install 64-bit encoder? I am installing the m4a FDK (AAC) Encoder Release 3, found at https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm. That's supposed to contain both 32 and 64 bit, right?
    Thanks
    Last edited by bcell; 05-03-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Spoon, I may be on to something here. I reinstalled dBpoweramp R15.3. I then started the dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a FDK (AAC) Encoder.exe application. When I hit "Run" the dialog box said Program name was "74A6.tmp-dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a FDK (AAC) Encoder-32.exe" Does the "32" at the end of that mean it is trying to install a 32-bit encoder? I am running 64-bit Converter. Could that be the problem? If so, how do I force the installer to install 64-bit encoder? Thanks

Administrator

It is the 32 bit version, it will run the 32 bit version if you have:

dBConfig.exe in the

C:\Program files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp

Folder. If not then run regedit >> browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SpoonInsta ll

and remove the dBpoweramp entry.

Problem fixed! Thank you Spoon - you got it: when I used regedit to delete the dBpoweramp entry (leaving the dBpoweramp64 entry alone) the 64-bit FDK AAC installer worked, and now I have my AAC encoding abilities back. I'm not sure why your reset application didn't get rid of that entry. Anyway, thanks for your assistance.