title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch Ripping CDs with No Metadata (dB Ripper just overwrites existing files?)

Batch Ripping CDs with No Metadata (dB Ripper just overwrites existing files?)

I have several hundred cds that I am trying to batch rip with my Nimbie USB and dBpoweramp Batch Ripper.

None of the cds have metadata info (as they are personal collections of mix cds that I have created over the years).

I have configured the Nimbie and Batch Ripper to work.

The problem is that if I rip CD 1 with unknown artist, unknown tracks, etc. Then I try to rip CD 2 with (again) unknown artist, unknown tracks, etc. The DB Batch Ripper is just overwriting the first CD rip with the second CD rip because it puts everything in the same folder, i.e. Music > Unknown Artist

For exp.

CD 1
    gets ripped to Music > Unknown Artist as...
    01 - Unknown Artist - Track01
    02 - Ukknown Artist - Track02
    etc.

CD 2
    gets ripped to Music > Unknown Artist too...and then CD 2 songs overwrite CD 1 songs

So after ripping 10 cds (for exp), I am left with only 1 folder

Music > Unknown Artist
    etc.

I have tried all the settings in dBpoweramp Batch Ripper and dBpoweramp CD Ripper, but I cant figure out a solution.

Ideally, I would be able to get it to rip in sequence like

Music > Unknown Artist 1
    etc.

Music > Unknown Artist 2
    etc.

Music > Unknown Artist 3
    etc.

Any help from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Batch Ripping CDs with No Metadata (dB Ripper just overwrites existing files?)

you can use the naming item [cddb_id] as a folder name.

Re: Batch Ripping CDs with No Metadata (dB Ripper just overwrites existing files?)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    you can use the naming item [cddb_id] as a folder name.
    OK, thanks!

Hi - I'm having the same issue.

My current setting is
    [MAXLENGTH]80,[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[album][]\[MAXLENGTH]80,[track] [artist] - [title][]

Not sure why there's all the maxlength 80 settings other than I've had problems in the past with itunes and filenames being to long. I'm not sure if I still need that or not. I'm probably done with itunes.

If there's no metadata in CDDB how does your solution work?

Ideally I want the naming string to work for both for unknown and known CD's?

I've ripped about a 1000 cd's before I realized the cd's that are unknown are just overwriting each other. Probably about 5-10% of my collection is obscure or home made CD's that won't be found in CDDB. What a mess! Now I've got to go look through boxes of CD's and guess which ones they are.
    Last edited by wolfereeno; 12-05-2020 at 06:40 PM.

@Spoon, using your string from a diff thread:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][IFEQUALS]artist,Unknown Artist, [cddb_id][][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

Creates new Unknown Folders like:

C:\Users\billw\Music\Unknown Artist 1D0FE014

I can work with that as long as there's no chance of them being overwritten. The CDDB ID is unique even when the CD isn't in their database?

Thx!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by wolfereeno View Post
    If there's no metadata in CDDB how does your solution work?
    Edit your Naming string, so any unknown artist albums (folders) are replaced by cddb_id. Then, no files/folders are overwritten.

Administrator

[cddb_id] is unique to the disc