title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Asset R5 beta for OSX/Linux

Super Moderator

Re: Asset R5 beta for OSX/Linux

Thanks for your feedback and sorry about slow reply.

Re: missing album art
    Confirmed, fix will be available soon.

Re: failure to notice changed files without a manual rescan cycle
    I'm afraid I cannot confirm this - changes do get picked up here, only exception is QNAP TS-x09 systems which run Linux too old to implement inotify interface, but that's not the case.
    Have you tried waiting for a couple of minutes after making the changes and then refreshing your UPnP control point views? I can see why it might be a bit slower to notice the changes than R4.7 was, I'll copy R4.7 tweaks over for the next update.

Re: DSD issues
    Problems are being investigated.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Peter,
    I have left my Asset R5 Beta on RPi for a few days, after making changes to the nominated locations, & there wasn't any update. Same was actually the same of R5 on Windows, I always had to hit the 'Detect Changes' button to pick up changes.
    I can't comment on R4.7 as the last version I used on RPi was 4.2 due to the changes in Album art handling for Compilations.

Thanks,
    Simon

Super Moderator
    simes_pep,

Please describe your exact configuration:
    Is Asset indexing files on a locally mounted device or on a network share?
    If it's a network share, what server software/hardware is it hosted on?
    Are you using the exact same hardware configuration as you did with Asset R4.x when the changes were picked up properly?

If you're not running Asset R5 on the exact same hardware setup as you used R4.x before, can you please - if it's not too much trouble - run known good R4.2 version on your new Raspberry config and see if this bug is present or not? No need to wait days, 5 minutes is safely enough.

If Windows version is not picking the changes either, indexing the same network shares, there's a good chance that the network share server is not properly dispatching folder change notifications to the clients. Such bugs are unfortunately pretty common, even I have such issues with QNAP server vs Windows clients in my office.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Peter,
    My configuration - Asset is indexing files on a network share located on a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2+ (running Pro 2 extensions) at the latest firmware version 4.2.28.
    It is the exactly the same hardware configuration that Asset R4.2 was running, and able to undertake automated updates - same RPi device, same NAS, same router/switch infrastructure.

The R5 version on Windows was accessing the same NAS hardware, just a separate volume for DSD files, while I waited for the Asset R5 port to RPi.

My understanding on R4.2 was that the automated updating was infact a 60-minute cycle, rather than as a result of a folder change signal, however the folder change notification method would be better.

Thanks,
    Simon.

Super Moderator

OK, I apologize for my bad memory. R4.2 predates live change tracking support on Linux. It was indeed rescanning the whole library every 60 minutes (by default).

In current versions - including R5 beta and R4.7 - we implement live change tracking; we ask the operating system for folder-changed events, just like we do on Windows. Exception is QNAP TS-x09 running 10+ years old Linux distro which is missing relevant interface entirely, so the old rescan-every-N-minutes option is presented instead.

It seems that in case of your NAS, these events are not really fired. Like I said, this is not an uncommon scenario.

I'll add an option to forcibly rescan everything every N minutes, like R4.2 did.

I wish I could implement live change tracking for your config, but it clearly seems impossible.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ok, no problem.

Done a bit of reading up on inotify and I may need to bump up max_user_watches setting in /etc/sysctl.conf as i have over 65k files in my watched files, so will that a try when I get home this evening & advise.

Thanks,
    Simon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by umgfoin View Post
    Would it be possible, to make visibility of special container-items [AllTracks] and [ShuffleTracks] configurable?
    E.g. globally or in the Control Point Specific overrides?
    bg umgfoin.
    Yes! I second this request.

Quote Originally Posted by shrubbery View Post
    I am testing beta 1 for OSX and am having issues with the DSF-WAV conversion feature. I am getting a loud 'pop' sound at the start of most new tracks as they play. I don't think that this is the well documented ISO-DSF sacd_extract issue as I am using the latest version of sacd_extract that apparently fixes that issue. I have also tried converting from DSD ISO to DFF and then to DSF to eliminate the problem but it is still there.

I am streaming to a Naim UnitiQute 2 that unfortunately doesn't support DSD natively unlike the more expensive Naim streamers.
    Hi, I'm using the debian 64 bit R5.2 BETA4, wtih DSF to WAV conversion activated.

and no 'pop' sound at the beginning of DSF files. Bubble indicates WAV/96/24 when playing DSD with WAV conversion.

my DAC is DSD capable and when I play dsf file "as is", no 'pop' as well.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So, I have tried setting my inotify setting on both the RPi and ReadyNAS to:

fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 5242881
    fs.inotify.max_user_instances = 512
    fs.inotify.max_queued_events = 524288

as the default max_user_watches was 8,192, max_user_instances was 128 and max_queued_events was 16384 - so I have up these significantly.

I was following the instructions from https://github.com/guard/listen/wiki...otify-watchers

However I am not seeing any automated detection of changes in the watched libraries. Is there a method of debuggin this? In-fact it is the NAS end that is watching and issuing the inotify signals or is the RPi against the watched directories?

If any help, Roon Labs software on Win7, with the same directories on the NAS server, works with files being updated in real-time.
    My RPi is running 4.4.10 from earlier in May.

Thanks,
    Simon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Another thought - can the Live Tracking work over a CIFS mount from the RPi to a NAS.

I have the following in my fstab file to establish a read-only mount under /home/pi/nas to the Media share on my NAS at 192.168.0.3

//192.168.0.3/media /home/pi/nas cifs ro,guest,_netdev,sec=ntlmv2 0 0

Thanks,
    Simon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So I have switched to a NFS mount, with a change in the fstab file to:

192.168.0.3:/media /home/pi/nas nfs rw 0 0

However, no change - there is no automated detection of changed files in the watched directories.

I believe this should work over a shared network, between 2 Linux-based systems, but I need some further help in debugging the Live Tracking implemented in Asset R5 (& R4.7).

Alternatively happy to go back to the periodic polling mechanism from R4.2, as the Re-scan overhead was small, and when there are no changes present, worked purely from cached indexes and didn't require the disks to come out of spin-down mode.

Thanks,
    Simon.

Super Moderator

Like I said, change tracking on network shares is a shady area, it often doesn't work reliably even on high class devices.

The least painful way is to run Asset directly on the NAS - presuming you have one of the supported devices; local filesystem change tracking generally works these days.

The timed rescan option from old versions has been restored, R5 beta 5 will be posted shortly.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ok, thank you.

Any idea of which is better for a network share, CIFS or NFS?

Thanks,
    Simon

Hi,

with my configuration (Syno DS415+ and ASSET UPNP 5.2 BETA Debian 64bit) , the live change tracking is not operational : when I add new albums, I have to relaunch Asset or to perform a manuel rescan in order to have them detected by Asset.

May be it's due to the fact that the genuine synology Multimedia server already uses the inotify features. I do not know if it may be shared among multiple "receivers".

Laurent

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Confirmed that the polled rescan option works, when Live File tracking is not working over a Network share.

Many thanks Peter, it means I can just leave Asset to scan and pick new files up added to the NAS share.

Simon.