title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asset R5 beta for OSX/Linux

Super Moderator

Asset R5 beta for OSX/Linux

I'm proud to announce that beta version of Asset UPnP R5 for OSX and Linux is ready for testing.

Feature-wise it's a clean port of the latest Windows version, with OSX/Linux specific parts retained from R4.7.

Most important changes from R4.7:
    • DSD support
    • UPnP search support
    • Monkey's Audio codec support

Changes since R5 beta 1
    • Expanded debug logging functionality to figure out stuck scan bug
    • Fixed broken "rescan all" command (also bad behavior after configuration changes that require library to be fully rescanned)
    • Fixed not downscaling album art images - use "rescan all" to fix wrong album art records from older betas
    • Fixed stuck scanning due to memory usage creep when indexing music files with large attached picture tags (beta 4)
    • Improvements to album art indexing performance (beta 4)
    • Fixed non-lowercase-capitalized folder.jpg files not being seen (beta 5)
    • Added a forced timed rescan option to help with scenarios where folder change tracking doesn't work reliably. (Linux: beta 5, OSX: beta 6)
    • Fixed DSD glitches (beta 6) (details).
    • Added an option to hide [All Tracks] / [Shuffle Tracks] items - in both configuration and per control point overrides; use [NoAllTracksItems] in control points override to hide these items.
    • Search bug fixes [beta 7]
    • LPCM wrong stream format bug fix [beta 7]
    • Added Monkey's Audio codec [beta 8]
    • Fixed a bug causing MP3 files to take a long time to index on slow machines [beta 8]
    • Fixed internet radio not working with default settings on machines with ARM processors [beta 8]
    • QNAP x09: Fixed not rescanning library on app startup [beta 8]
    • Fixed differently capitalized folder.jpg files not being recognized in folder browsing mode [beta 9]
    • Fixed slow browsing on machines with write cache disabled (QNAP in particular) [beta 9]
    • Changed configuration & library data location to avoid clash with R4.x series [beta 10]
      Relevant configuration files will be moved (if upgraded from older R5 beta) or copied (if upgraded from R4.x) on first run.
    • OSX: Fixed early R5 regression breaking folder structure browsing [beta 11]
    • Fixed "download configuration dump" serving truncated archives on QNAP if the configuration size exceeds 64MB, due to QNAP's /tmp size limit [beta 11].

Registered users
    If you have used a registered copy of R4.7 before and have not erased your configuration data, R5 beta will function as a registered version.

Downloads

<now released>
    Last edited by Spoon; 09-16-2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Beta 11

Re: Asset R5 beta for OSX/Linux

Hello PeterP

is the linux x86 built compatible with ASUSTOR NAS using braswell CPU ?

many thanks for this beta release !

Hi,

i've loaded R5 on top of 4.7 registered on a Debian machine.

The tree displayed on the control points appears to be the default despite some edits i had made.
    The Asset server GUI looks correct.

I've tried the 'Get Default' option then re-apply my changes but the control points still show the default tree.

Super Moderator

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately I've been unable to recreate browse tree layout bugs, all changes do get applied, the same way they did in R4.

Your control point might be showing an old cached copy, perhaps try forcibly reopening the control point, or using another one with no prior cache to see what Asset actually serves.
    Last edited by PeterP; 04-15-2016 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Removed wrong info

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent69 View Post
    is the linux x86 built compatible with ASUSTOR NAS using braswell CPU ?
    I'm sorry but I do not have this exact NAS model available for testing. We do not provide proper installers for any NAS series other than QNAP; if you have SSH access to your NAS, you can launch it as a regular Linux program and see if it works.

Hi Peter,

thanks for the response.
    I have two control points, SONOS and NAIM and they are both showing the same.

I'll try removing Asset from the server and performing a clean install, i guess i'll lose my registered status?

I deleted /usr/bin/asset/bin, re-installed the R5 beta and modified the tree again.
    Now all control points show the correct structure.

Curiously Asset still shows that it's the registered version and the watched media folder info was intact after the re-install.
    Where is that info stored?

Super Moderator

Configuration data is stored under ~/.dBpoweramp on Linux.

Hi Peter,
    Scanning audio files fails repeatedly at between 3,500 and 4,000 audio tracks on R5 beta for me. QNAP TS439 Pro II, firmware v4.2.0. Works with Asset v4.7 (total 12,981 audio tracks) Default configuration both versions. I have tried deleting R5, reinstalling v4.7 then installing R5 beta. No change.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mackiwi View Post
    Hi Peter,
    Scanning audio files fails repeatedly at between 3,500 and 4,000 audio tracks on R5 beta for me. QNAP TS439 Pro II, firmware v4.2.0. Works with Asset v4.7 (total 12,981 audio tracks) Default configuration both versions. I have tried deleting R5, reinstalling v4.7 then installing R5 beta. No change.
    Thanks for your feedback.

In the configuration page, please enable debug logging, let it scan and wait for it to get stuck again, download the library log and mail it to peter@dbpoweramp.com .
    The last lines of the log might point at specific file which somehow triggers the bug.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Peter, Spoon,

Many thanks for this Beta - I was away for the last couple of weeks, please got to install it this morning, and started transferring over the DSD files I had in a separate library.

Playback of DSD64 (dsf files) is confirmed in native format, to the Naim network player, running the latest firmware, 4.4.48, so I can retire the Asset R5 on Windows version I was using for the DSD playback, which was not ideal, as my Windows machines are all wireless connected.

However, initial feedback is that the 'Detect & Catalog New Tracks' setting/function doesn't seem to work. This worked fine on the R4.x versions on the RPi, however I don't think it was actually working for me with the R5 on Windows version. I have to click the 'Rescan folders detect changes' to get any changes picked up.

Also have you given any time, to how Asset runs on multi-core CPUs, to leverage the RPi2/3 processor architecture and maximize the potential performance available, during the scanning and serving of the files?

Many thanks,
    Simon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

When playing DSF and FLAC files alongside each other, there is a playback volume difference, due to the nature of the file format (multi-bit vs single-bit and all that), however is there a way there could a uplift of DSF/DFF files during the UPnP serving process, by a few dBs?
    I know, I could use ReplayGain to adjust the difference, but this is on a file-by-file setting and not a format/file-type basis.

Thanks,
    Simon.

Administrator

When dsd is served "as is', or is dop embedded, the stream is untouched and the volume cannot be changed. Instead, set the flac to 24 transcoded wave and lower its volume with the replaygain setting.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi I already transcode .flac & .m4a, .mp3 to WAV, but without 'Increase to 24-bit', what this do for my standard Red-book Tracks?
    So I would then apply a ReplayGain of a minus amount to all tracks in my library, which would be ignored for the .dsf?
    I am serving the dsf 'as is', as Naim have native DSD64 playback in their Network players.

Does it adjust the tracks reference as presented to the UPnP Render, as this would change for the Playlists managed by the Naim app, which takes the 'served' filename.

Any comment/ideas on the 'Detect & Catalog New tracks' function - I have been making wholesale changes in my Music Library, replacing FLAC versions of SACD rips, with native dsf files, and the only time the changes are picked up, is through a manual command to Rescan.

Thanks,
    Simon.

Administrator

24 bit gives more accuracy for when the volume is reduced. A lower replaygain reference volume can be set when generating replaygain tags.

Peter will need to comment on scanning.