title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: PerfectTUNES on NAS problems

PerfectTUNES on NAS problems

Hi everyone,

just a few remarks as introduction of a new forum member.

I recently bought the combination of dBpoweramp and PerfectTUNES since I have a lot of converting and tagging to do: I have my complete collection of CDs (plus a few others) as FLAC files (about 26,000) playing on my Linux media computer, then needed to convert them to Apple Lossless so I could use a selection as replacement on the iPod that is in my older car, and finally bought a new car recently that only accepts one lossless codec, which is WMA Lossless. Nevertheless, I decided that even on the decent-but-unexciting Alpine car audio it has, Lossless sounds considerably better than MP3 at 320 kbps, so here I have three collections of more than 26,000-plus lossless titles each to manage, even though I discarded MP3 completely. Much of it, obviously, worked already using free software before dBpoweramp and PT. But the additional functions sort of intrigued me.

My initial gripe is with using PT to access and manage my collection - at this point, the FLAC version - on my NAS, from my Windows 10 PCs. It takes ages to access the folders there. Yes, the drive is tagged with a drive letter (Z and while it struggles with the usual connection impediments (WLAN through concrete walls, Powerline LAN in some places of my home that's even slower), I normally get to my files. That Linux computer plays the collection without interruptions, I can easily work on the images stored on the NAS disk with my two PCs, etc.

Only PerfectTUNES doesn't manage. It literally takes AGES to even "listen" to the library stored on the NAS for collection information, and right now the program claims to be "writing" on six albums it already started "writing" to last night to add missing cover art. Tonight it's been at it dealing with the same six albums for about three hours now, so for all practical purposes it's frozen.

PerfectTUNES is *infinitely* quicker on a local drive. There is nothing to complain about the speed in that kind of setting. But then it takes several DAYS to copy the complete collection of lossless files to that local drive, apart from the fact that I'd have to do it in several instalments since I chose a relatively small secondary local hard disk (500 GB)...precisely because I do have those 2 x 3.0 TB NAS disks. In other words, it's a back-and-forth copying matter that takes even more time than using PT on the NAS disk (unless it is really frozen after all...no, wait, it started the next album after those paltry three hours).

Where is the problem? If all other programs can access the NAS correctly, though a bit more slowly as compared to a local drive, why can't PT?

I have a few more things I stumbled about so far, but I'll keep those issues separate, and would welcome feedback on the above.

Best
    Losslessfan

Administrator

Re: PerfectTUNES on NAS problems

PerfectTUNES needs access to the full file, so if it takes several days to copy locally, it will take the same or longer if PerfectTUNES is scanning the files.

You really need a hard wired connection computer >> nas, even if it is temporary to access the files.