title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Disc drive capacity

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wdesbrow
    • Feb 2015

Disc drive capacity

Sorry to bother you with a beginner's question -- but I am trying to avoiding making a big mistake.

On my desktop PC, so far I have ripped approximately 600 CD's at FLAC quality using DB. I have been ripping them to my MY MUSIC file -- then checking the tags, etc. -- and immediately dragging them into a file which is the MUSIC share of a WDMYCLOUDEX2 NAS storage device -- that currently has plenty of storage space left. That file is designated (Y which is imported automatically or manually into JRiver Media Center. (I believe this is the correct terminology?)

I just got a message from Windows on my desktop computer (I assume), that my c: drive on the desktop is almost out of space. The MyMusic file is currently using up 159 gig of space. Am I correct in assuming that the files in the My Music folder have only been put there as a "holding" folder and are of NO USE after they have transferred to the WD NAS device??? If so, COULD I DELETE ALL THE FILES IN THE MY MUSIC FOLDER ??? TO REGAIN 159 GIG OF SPACE?

Needless to say, I want to avoid all the re-work connected with having to re-rip all those files!

Your response is much appreciated.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Disc drive capacity

Originally posted by wdesbrow
    Sorry to bother you with a beginner's question -- but I am trying to avoiding making a big mistake.

On my desktop PC, so far I have ripped approximately 600 CD's at FLAC quality using DB. I have been ripping them to my MY MUSIC file -- then checking the tags, etc. -- and immediately dragging them into a file which is the MUSIC share of a WDMYCLOUDEX2 NAS storage device -- that currently has plenty of storage space left. That file is designated (Y which is imported automatically or manually into JRiver Media Center. (I believe this is the correct terminology?)

I just got a message from Windows on my desktop computer (I assume), that my c: drive on the desktop is almost out of space. The MyMusic file is currently using up 159 gig of space. Am I correct in assuming that the files in the My Music folder have only been put there as a "holding" folder and are of NO USE after they have transferred to the WD NAS device??? If so, COULD I DELETE ALL THE FILES IN THE MY MUSIC FOLDER ??? TO REGAIN 159 GIG OF SPACE?

Needless to say, I want to avoid all the re-work connected with having to re-rip all those files!

Your response is much appreciated.
    Yes, you can delete the files on your computer as they are just a second copy of what you already have in your NAS storage device. However, do keep in mind that you need some sort of backup system. Having only a single copy on a NAS is not safe (music files or otherwise). And a RAID system on a NAS is *NOT* a backup (google "raid is not a backup" to read some disaster stories). I have lots of backups of my files (4 complete copies on systems being used; and 5 different backup only drives, stored at 3 different locations). But at a minimum I'd suggest at least 2 backups (other than the NAS), and store them at two different locations. USB HDDs are very cheap. I rip FLAC files to my windows laptop, but then move them to my NAS (and delete from my laptop) where I play them in my system. But I have multiple backups stored at 3 different locations on USB HDDs. I use "freefilesync" to keep all these drives in sync.
    Last edited by garym; 03-30-2016, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Dat Ei
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2014

Hey Gary,

just for interest:

Originally posted by garym
      I use "freefilesync" to keep all these drives in sync.
      Don't you trust in robocopy that is part of Windows? Or don't you like the flood of parameters?

I use 4 batch files, which contain several calls of robocopy. No need to change them - no need to rethink the parameters.

Dat Ei

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dat Ei
        Hey Gary,

just for interest:

Don't you trust in robocopy that is part of Windows? Or don't you like the flood of parameters?

I use 4 batch files, which contain several calls of robocopy. No need to change them - no need to rethink the parameters.

Dat Ei
        no reason really. a friend showed me freefilesync and I liked the easy graphic userinterface. I also save several "profiles" there because I'm often backing up from/to different things. But I would trust robocopy too.

Comment

• wdesbrow
          • Feb 2015

Gary -- THANK YOU for the prompt and understandable advice. I will act on your advice first thing tomorrow.

wayne d.

Originally posted by garym
          Yes, you can delete the files on your computer as they are just a second copy of what you already have in your NAS storage device. However, do keep in mind that you need some sort of backup system. Having only a single copy on a NAS is not safe (music files or otherwise). And a RAID system on a NAS is *NOT* a backup (google "raid is not a backup" to read some disaster stories). I have lots of backups of my files (4 complete copies on systems being used; and 5 different backup only drives, stored at 3 different locations). But at a minimum I'd suggest at least 2 backups (other than the NAS), and store them at two different locations. USB HDDs are very cheap. I rip FLAC files to my windows laptop, but then move them to my NAS (and delete from my laptop) where I play them in my system. But I have multiple backups stored at 3 different locations on USB HDDs. I use "freefilesync" to keep all these drives in sync.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by wdesbrow
            Gary -- THANK YOU for the prompt and understandable advice. I will act on your advice first thing tomorrow.

wayne d.

You're very welcome.

Comment

Working...

]]>