title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: SLOW ripping speed for some albums

SLOW ripping speed for some albums

I was able to rip more than five hundred albums with DB with very little problem. Recently I borrowed another collection from a friend of mine and just started to rip them into my collection. A few of them (one out of five?) seem to be ripping painfully slowly but are not indicating any real problem on the screen as they rip. Physically the problem CD's appear VERY clean and without scratches etc.

The transport in my PC -- which only has been used to rip perhaps 600 cd's -- seems to turn on and off its front led very frequently during while ripping these problem cd's. Any idea why?

thank you, all.

Administrator

Re: SLOW ripping speed for some albums

The drive perhaps is on its way out.

Spoon -- Looks like you were right (again!). Tried a new outboard drive and all the noise and erratic behavior have gone away so far.

In this new batch of rips, some of them (many of them older jazz samplers, btw) however, seem to be ripping much more slowly (.8-1.2), BUT registering as "Accurate." In some cases with only a "(2)" after "Accurate." Is this normal, and is that primarily because of the condition of the disc? Most seem to be in A+ shape. I assume no way to speed up the rips on those discs?

I also noticed that in switching in and out of my JRiver Media Center software (to make sure the rip gets transferred to the right file in Windows 8) at times, JRMC will try to "grab" a new disc I am trying to rip and try to rip it using its own ripping feature. Which seems to conflict with DB Poweramp. It SEEMS -- after I shut down JRMC and cancel all rips -- then initiate the rip again in DB Poweramp -- DBPA seems to start and finish the rip at whatever the "normal speed" DBPA decides is best (4X--7X). Any tips on how to avoid that?

Thanks much!

Please see below description. In the last couple hours I have tried going through the set up procedure for the ripper and tried both the C2 capability AND non C-2 capability. (Although I am working with a new outboard cd drive, the speeds seemed fine until a couple rips ago -- and I did roughly 50 rips successfully. Now they all seem to be starting at 4.2X and immediately slowng down to approx. .5X)

I have tried to go through all the steps in the set up guide -- ALTHOUGH I cannot find the "Configure AcurateRip window.

THANKS in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by wdesbrow View Post
    Spoon -- Looks like you were right (again!). Tried a new outboard drive and all the noise and erratic behavior have gone away so far.

In this new batch of rips, some of them (many of them older jazz samplers, btw) however, seem to be ripping much more slowly (.8-1.2), BUT registering as "Accurate." In some cases with only a "(2)" after "Accurate." Is this normal, and is that primarily because of the condition of the disc? Most seem to be in A+ shape. I assume no way to speed up the rips on those discs?

I also noticed that in switching in and out of my JRiver Media Center software (to make sure the rip gets transferred to the right file in Windows 8) at times, JRMC will try to "grab" a new disc I am trying to rip and try to rip it using its own ripping feature. Which seems to conflict with DB Poweramp. It SEEMS -- after I shut down JRMC and cancel all rips -- then initiate the rip again in DB Poweramp -- DBPA seems to start and finish the rip at whatever the "normal speed" DBPA decides is best (4X--7X). Any tips on how to avoid that?

Thanks much!

Administrator

Try doing a full system shutdown and restart.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try doing a full system shutdown and restart.

Thanks Will do. Five minutes ago I added on the forum that the past several rips have been coming out with each song duplicated in the same file -- but not in the same order. (???)

Report: I just tried a complete Windows RESTART, and tried ripping another CD. The speed window started at 4.5X and declined steadily to 1.2X in about 45 seconds. I am wondering whether JRMC is somehow automatically ripping the CDs at the same time (?). I don't have any indication of that on the screen. However, I do have JRMC in general to open as soon as the CPU opens. (In this last boot-up, JRMC did come up but I shut it down just as quickly, before making the rip.)

thanks again. I didn't mean to take up your Holiday time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wdesbrow View Post
    Thanks Will do. Five minutes ago I added on the forum that the past several rips have been coming out with each song duplicated in the same file -- but not in the same order. (???)

Administrator

If 2 programs were trying to rip at the same time, it would do as you say.

Just a follow-up...

I am now ripping with DBPA with JRMC NOT RUNNING AT ALL, and the slow-down and duplication problem seems to have gone away 100%. It looks to me like JRMC's ripping feature I set to start ripping automatically when a CD is inserted in my drive, but if so, I am not sure how to de-activate that feature. My guess is that using using JRiver n combination with DB is still a very popular combination -- so this might be useful (?) to others, FWIW.

DBPA seems to recommend using a drive with "C2" capability (?). Do all modern drives have that capability? Obviously you would recommend a drive that is a top performer on the list in the Forum (?). Do all of the top performers have that C2 capability? In other words, should that even be a consideration? I would be using it to rip CD's within a desktop unit tat doesn't move around.

Advice, please.

Administrator

Not all drives have the ability. For many people, using a drive without c2 and ripping and getting an accuraterip match is plenty good.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Not all drives have the ability. For many people, using a drive without c2 and ripping and getting an accuraterip match is plenty good.

and even some drives that have good C2 implementation won't work with C2 turned on when connected to computer using USB or firewire.

dBpoweramp Guru

willTE=wdesbrow;165108]I was able to rip more than five hundred albums with DB with very little problem. Recently I borrowed another collection from a friend of mine and just started to rip them into my collection. A few of them (one out of five?) seem to be ripping painfully slowly but are not indicating any real problem on the screen as they rip. Physically the problem CD's appear VERY clean and without scratches etc.

The transport in my PC -- which only has been used to rip perhaps 600 cd's -- seems to turn on and off its front led very frequently during while ripping these problem cd's. Any idea why?

thank you, all.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be one of the great mysteries of CD ripping, one can start at 6-7 X and end up in mid 40s ripping speed, and another start at the same speed and slow down to X 2 or less. The age or physical condition doesn't give any clues, so maybe the slow disc is giving the drive a harder time with mild imperfections and requiring multiple reads? The firmware of the drive, alongside CD Ripper software, will control the speed (even if set to max), to do whatever it needs to do, to accurately read every frame.

I've tried some of these slow ripping discs on 2-3 drives, and whilst the quicker drive is still quicker, it still slows down. Not absolutely scientific, but to me it confirms that it is a disc issue rather than drive issue. Sometimes simply cleaning the disc helps.
    Last edited by Oggy; 04-09-2016 at 04:17 AM.

Thanks Oggy.

Your comments were very helpful!

Wayne d.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    willTE=wdesbrow;165108]I was able to rip more than five hundred albums with DB with very little problem. Recently I borrowed another collection from a friend of mine and just started to rip them into my collection. A few of them (one out of five?) seem to be ripping painfully slowly but are not indicating any real problem on the screen as they rip. Physically the problem CD's appear VERY clean and without scratches etc.

thank you, all.
    This seems to be one of the great mysteries of CD ripping, one can start at 6-7 X and end up in mid 40s ripping speed, and another start at the same speed and slow down to X 2 or less. The age or physical condition doesn't give any clues, so maybe the slow disc is giving the drive a harder time with mild imperfections and requiring multiple reads? The firmware of the drive, alongside CD Ripper software, will control the speed (even if set to max), to do whatever it needs to do, to accurately read every frame.

I've tried some of these slow ripping discs on 2-3 drives, and whilst the quicker drive is still quicker, it still slows down. Not absolutely scientific, but to me it confirms that it is a disc issue rather than drive issue. Sometimes simply cleaning the disc helps.[/QUOTE]