title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripped tracks full of glitches/hickups, CD plays ok without problem?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yosemite
    • Mar 2010

Ripped tracks full of glitches/hickups, CD plays ok without problem?

Hi,

I got a strange problem trying to rip "Change - Reach For The Sky (Anthology 1980-1985)". Both CDs play flawlessly in my PC (drive: LG BH10LS30 Firmware 1.0) using VLC player (and other programs). They also play fine in my Blu-Ray standalone player. The discs appear to be free of scratches (they arrived today still sealed and the package was damage free as well).

However when I try to rip them (dbPoweramp 15.3, latest codecs, Flac no compression) some of the titles have small glitches and hickups. It's like a few frames are missing. I know the BH10LS30 is not the best drive in the world but that's what I have to deal with and this is the only disc (or double disc to be more precise) that's causing these kind of problems.

I tried re-ripping the CDs with several options but even after re-ripping thousands of frames the results are the same: glitches and hickups are always at the same time stamp so I can reproduce the problem. However dbPoweramp CD Ripper tells me the re-ripping went fine and doesn't report an error. I tried disabling C2 (although it's supported by the drive) but I get the same results. Again: playing those discs with VLC player or on a standalone doesn't produce these glitches.

Could this be caused by a copy protection or due to the fact that the CDs are nearly 80 mins. long?
    Last edited by yosemite; 03-22-2016, 07:19 PM.
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Ripped tracks full of glitches/hickups, CD plays ok without problem?

Hey yosemite,

this is the 2015 release? If so, I doubt that a copy protection is the source for the problems. I guess that the CD has errors, which an audio cd player can compensate inaudibly with its error correction.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

You need to source an additional CD drive.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• yosemite
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Dat Ei
        Hey yosemite,

this is the 2015 release? If so, I doubt that a copy protection is the source for the problems. I guess that the CD has errors, which an audio cd player can compensate inaudibly with its error correction.

Dat Ei
        Yes, it's the Anthology that has been released at the end of 2015 and I'm using the latest version of dbPoweramp too.

Originally posted by Spoon
        You need to source an additional CD drive.
        Because the BH10LS30 is bad or for comparision reasons? The drive has ripped hundreds and hundreds CDs just fine and this is the first disc that's really giving me a headache.
        Do you have any explanation why there is no audible problems with the discs when I play them with VLC or even the player that comes with CD Ripper (over and over again) but when I rip them with the very same drive?

Thanks for your support.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

regarding and additional drive. I've ripped 1000s of CDs. Some drives work great with many CDs but not others. And other drives are the opposite and work with a different set of CDs. No obvious difference in anything (and many of these CDs that work in one vs the other are brand new first time out of packaging). So trying a couple of different CD Drives can make a difference.

Comment

• yosemite
            • Mar 2010

I got a replacement of the mentioned CD today but I got the same faulty rips. The glitches occur exactly at the same time and they sound exactly the same. I find this behavior really, really (really, really) strange. Apparently the drive doesn't like the pressing of the CD in general. however when I play that very same CD with that very same drive directly from CD the sound and audio is absolutely georgeous (play in CD Ripper, VLC or any other audio programm I got on my PC). This is odd. I really don't want to spend 50 or more bucks on a new drive just because of one CD.

Interestly enough CD Ripper reports no problems.

Comment

• yosemite
              • Mar 2010

To make things more interesting: if I change from "rip to FLAC lossless" to "rip to Wave" the ripped tracks that were previously faulty are now ok! How can that be?
              If I convert the ripped .wav-file to a .flac-file the converted track is fine also. Only when I rip to Flac (with that particular disc) I get bad results.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

These tracks verified with AccurateRip?
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• yosemite
                  • Mar 2010

No, unfortunately the CD was not in AccurateRip (I don't think it has sold in large numbers as it's more for the fan of early 80's black music).

However I can confirm what I wrote before: when ripped to FLAC some files have glitches, when ripped to Wave the very same files are ok. I tried this three times with all tracks and always the same results.
                  I never had such an issue before and I ripped thousands of CDs to FLAC (with that very same drive).

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by yosemite
                    However I can confirm what I wrote before: when ripped to FLAC some files have glitches, when ripped to Wave the very same files are ok. I tried this three times with all tracks and always the same results.
                    I never had such an issue before and I ripped thousands of CDs to FLAC (with that very same drive).
                    What happens if you play these flac files in a player other than VLC. Do they still glitch?

Comment

• yosemite
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by mville
                      What happens if you play these flac files in a player other than VLC. Do they still glitch?
                      Yes, they still do. Also in standalone FLAC-capable players like my Oppo BR-Player. I'm totally confused by this problem and don't have the slightest clue what might be wrong.
                      The FLAC-versions that I converted from the Wave-rip are ok though.

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

Yes, they still do. Also in standalone FLAC-capable players like my Oppo BR-Player. I'm totally confused by this problem and don't have the slightest clue what might be wrong.
                        The FLAC-versions that I converted from the Wave-rip are ok though.
                        Very odd.

... odd, because I believe CDRipper rips to wav then converts the wavs to flac, just as you have done manually.

Are you ripping with any other DSPs?

Out of interest , try converting with compression level 8?
                        Last edited by mville; 03-25-2016, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• yosemite
                          • Mar 2010

Very odd.
                          Yes, very odd. I'm trying to make sense out of it but simply don't understand the reason behind it (I really don't think it's the drive as the behavior with two brandnew copies of that particular CD produces the same faulty results).

Are you ripping with any other DSPs?
                          No, just the basic ripping and converting without any DSPs.

Out of interest , try converting with compression level 8?
                          Same (faulty) result with that particular disc.

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

(I really don't think it's the drive as the behavior with two brandnew copies of that particular CD produces the same faulty results).
                            Bad outcomes on two separate CDs *does* suggest a drive problem (the drive is the common factor). But since you can rip any other CD to FLAC, I don't think its the drive either. This is a very odd issue!

Comment

• mville
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by garym
                              Bad outcomes on two separate CDs *does* suggest a drive problem (the drive is the common factor). But since you can rip any other CD to FLAC, I don't think its the drive either. This is a very odd issue!
                              It's not the drive, because, as I understand it (and correct me if I have misunderstood), the OP can rip the CD to wav fine, just not flac. It just does not make sense.

Comment

Working...

]]>