title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cannot Check: Not Lossless CD Quality

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eman Resu
    • Mar 2016

Cannot Check: Not Lossless CD Quality

Hello,
    I rip to FLAC and Mp3, so I always have a pair (2) of the same album displayed in PerfectTunes.

Let's say I rip 10CDs, so I should have 20 albums displayed in PT as accurately ripped.
    However, out of the 10CDs ripped, I usually get about 7 accurately ripped, so 14 in total (FLAC and Mp3).
    For the other 3 (6), only 3 are in the "Albums accurately ripped" page, and the other 3 are in the "Albums cannot check" page with the "Cannot Check: Not Lossless CD Quality" note beside them. I don't know if it's the FLAC or Mp3s.

Usually I have to re-rip them and while the CRC is then the same (green) and the Accuraterip results are also the same, the faulty albums are finally all of a sudden moved from "Albums cannot check" to "Albums accurately ripped".

Also, 2 albums stay separated like this no matter how many times I re-rip them - 1 part (FLAC or Mp3) is among the accurately ripped albums, while the 2nd part (FLAC or Mp3 - don't know which) is in the albums that cannot be checked. Both albums have many tracks (32 and 76 with most of them just a couple of seconds of silence) and Accurip shows results only for the full length songs while the short silent files are secure with a check mark.

Could this be some kind of Mp3 encoding problem?
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Cannot Check: Not Lossless CD Quality

You shouldn't check the mp3 rips with PerfectTunes. PerfectTunes can't check mp3 files as they are not lossless. When you see the listing "cant' check because not CD lossless" on that page, click on the "i" symbol and you'll get the log telling you which files it couldn't check. I'm sure you'll find they are the mp3 files as these aren't CD quality.

Also, I assume you don't have the files organized with the mp3 and FLAC files within the same album subdirectory. They should be separated into different directories (I'd suggest separate mp3 and FLAC parent directories). This will also make it easier to only run PerfectTunes on the FLAC files.

If you want to check that the mp3 files are not corrupted at some later date or after copying them to a new HDD, you can do a batch conversion with dbpa converter and convert to [TEST CONVERSION]. This will only test decode your files, and not change anything about them. It reports only errors if found. If you don't have dbpa converter, you can use foobar2000 program and the utility plugin for "file integrity" to check these mp3 files.

Comment

• Eman Resu
      • Mar 2016

Yes, thank you, you are right, they were mp3s.
      I have the mp3s in a separate directory but on the same level as the individual FLAC albums. I will move them someplace else so they don't make a mess and are not included in the PerfecTunes scan.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Eman Resu
        Yes, thank you, you are right, they were mp3s.
        I have the mp3s in a separate directory but on the same level as the individual FLAC albums. I will move them someplace else so they don't make a mess and are not included in the PerfecTunes scan.
        in my own organization, I do:

x:\music\FLAC
        x:\music\mp3_aac_Only
        x:\lossymusic\

This way I can point PerfectTunes to x:\music\FLaC and my players/servers to x:\music and pick up both flac and things I only have in lossy. For my portables (which I load up with itunes), I point the itunes library to x:\lossymusic and then also add x:\mp3_aac_Only to the library. So I'm picking up lossy versions of the FLACs and lossy only versions.
        (and frankly I hardly bother with synching my portables anymore....I just use Spotify on my iphones/ipads and listen that way when away from home and don't bother synching my lossy versions).

Comment

• Eman Resu
          • Mar 2016

Sounds like a good setup, thanks for the tip ;-)

Comment

Working...

]]>