title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Naming/paths/Comps/Folders

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Naming/paths/Comps/Folders

Understand Most of the above (in theory-hopefully practice too..) A couple of Questions though...

Regarding the extra 4TB HDD that would have to be in main P.C. (DOWNSTAIRS) /or external (NOT MINI PC)..a mini couldn't hold that much Could it..? Its just The vortexbox OS on the mini P.C right.?

"You can add a USB DAC to the minipc now or in the future".... does this mean I can play music Without A DAC..? I would of assume to play music I would of needed a DAC (unless Bluetooth)

It would be nice to see artwork- If I go the LMS way/ Vortexbox the artwork appears on Ipad/phone.Correct?(i have no idea how this looks)

I remember in hifi mags Always Saying how good the Logitech Sqeezebox was( Thats the one that shows the artwork right) Its a shame they stopped making them..it would be nice to see the artwork on phone/ipad and having something similar nearby hifi too. I know this is not really needed but still would be nice..

Pioneer do a stand alone streamer for about £500 but adding on £300 for NAS plus 2xHDD ANOTHER £240...It still works out pretty expensive..

dBpoweramp Guru

OK, plan B because we're mixing up two things. You don't really need a minipc in the music room. And in fact better if its not. (I didn't realize you had a computer downstairs on the network that could function as the PC holding and serving your music). The way below doesn't have the music server in your music room. (mine is in a back of the house cabinet for example)

1. Install LMS on your main downstairs PC. This PC will have all your music files. This can be windows, OSX, linux, or whatever. LMS has a version for all these. After install, point LMS in LMS > Settings to your music directory and let it scan all your files.
    2. in your music room, connect a switch or a WIFI access point with extra ports to the phone/internet jack. This brings you good WIFI to the music room and internet jacks for below item.
    3. Next to your computer install one of the following:
    a. used Squeezebox TOUCH (this would be the BEST thing to get in my opinion....)
    (looks like several available "new in box" from ebay UK:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...touch&_sacat=0
    b. some sort of micro computer (Pi, etc.) that can run squeezelite (i.e., emulate a Squeezebox from a. above). This is easy to do but does require some computer geek skills to install the software and make work. For example, see:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ezebox+from+pi
    c. Purchase this item, which is like "b" above but already put together for you and is plug and play:
    http://www.sonicorbiter.sonore.us/
    I've read that they can be sent to UK just fine. And "c" can also work as a "roon" endpoint if you decide to run this in your main downstairs computer rather than LMS.
    4. Connect the item in 3 above to ethernet via cable (the switch or wifi AP you added in 2 above). Also connect it to your stereo via digital out or analog out to digital in or analog in on your receiver (and if you want you can put any DAC you want between the item (squeezebox or squeezebox emulator) and your stereo.
    5. Install a LMS remote app on your smart phone or tablet (several exist...I use iphone/ipad and use the iPeng app)
    6. Your LMS in the downstairs now holds the music library ready to stream to your music room (once you've scanned your library and all the stuff the LMS setup requires) will then serve music over the ethernet connection to the "*3 item" in your music room which will feed your stereo.
    7. You can control all this from your phone/pad in your music room. And your phone/pad will show artwork, track info, etc.

This all sounds more confusing than it is. From start to finish doing all this for friends takes me about 5 minutes not counting LMS scanning the music files the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Understand Most of the above (in theory-hopefully practice too..) A couple of Questions though...

Regarding the extra 4TB HDD that would have to be in main P.C. (DOWNSTAIRS) /or external (NOT MINI PC)..a mini couldn't hold that much Could it..? Its just The vortexbox OS on the mini P.C right.?

"You can add a USB DAC to the minipc now or in the future".... does this mean I can play music Without A DAC..? I would of assume to play music I would of needed a DAC (unless Bluetooth)

It would be nice to see artwork- If I go the LMS way/ Vortexbox the artwork appears on Ipad/phone.Correct?(i have no idea how this looks)

I remember in hifi mags Always Saying how good the Logitech Sqeezebox was( Thats the one that shows the artwork right) Its a shame they stopped making them..it would be nice to see the artwork on phone/ipad and having something similar nearby hifi too. I know this is not really needed but still would be nice..

Pioneer do a stand alone streamer for about £500 but adding on £300 for NAS plus 2xHDD ANOTHER £240...It still works out pretty expensive..
    Last edited by garym; 03-28-2016 at 07:49 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

3. "next to your computer" should instead be "next to your stereo system in music room"

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Had to read a few times-but Think Ive got most of it....A couple of Questions (as always.)

1.Ive Downloaded LMS. no problem. When it Scans for music Can I use an external HD AND/or Internal one (which would you advise...??) My internal holds 1tb...But could put more in Computer...
    2. I like the Squeezebox touch... Can I plug in and play on purchase.(DOES IT HAVE A INTERNAL DAC) can I get A better DAC LATER...?
    3. I also notice "slim devices" by logitech. These look like they dont show artwork (thats not a major issue... Many "highend" players dont show artwork on player!))Anyway is this, (just to confuse myself even more-another option.step *3*./
    Slim Devices/Logitech Squeezebox Classic v3 Network Music Player. are they just as good..?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

dBpoweramp Guru

Had to read a few times-but Think Ive got most of it....A couple of Questions (as always.)

1.Ive Downloaded LMS. no problem. When it Scans for music Can I use an external HD AND/or Internal one (which would you advise...??) My internal holds 1tb...But could put more in Computer...
    2. I like the Squeezebox touch... Can I plug in and play on purchase.(DOES IT HAVE A INTERNAL DAC) can I get A better DAC LATER...?
    3. I also notice "slim devices" by logitech. These look like they dont show artwork (thats not a major issue... Many "highend" players dont show artwork on player!))Anyway is this, (just to confuse myself even more-another option.step *3*./
    Slim Devices/Logitech Squeezebox Classic v3 Network Music Player. are they just as good..?
    1. use either internal or external. doesn't matter.
    2. Yes, Touch has a good internal DAC (or can feed a dac). Touch has analog outs, or two digital outs (optical or S/PDIF). And with a piece of free software, it can also feed a USB DAC. (I've done a blind test on a TOUCH alone vs TOUCH connected via S/PDIF coax to a Benchmark DAC 1 and couldn't tell the difference.
    3. slimdevices was the company name of squeezeboxes before Logitech bought them. They have several squeezebox models. SB1, SB2, SB3 (or SB Classic), Duet Receiver, Transporter, Boom, Radio, and Touch. Radio and Touch are the two newest and the only ones that show artwork. I recommend the TOUCH and it does show artwork. SB Classic is fine (I have one), but it doesn't play 24/96 files (limited to 24/48) and has some minor limitations compared to the TOUCH. This said, on your tablet or smart phone with *any* of the above squeezeboxes you can see the artwork on the tablet or the (just not on the older players themselves)

dBpoweramp Guru

This is fine. I have one in a drawer. But I think you'd be happier with the TOUCH.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    This is fine. I have one in a drawer. But I think you'd be happier with the TOUCH.
    and once you get a squeezebox setup, start posting at forums.slimdevices.com. Let me know when you do and your username and I'll respond to you over there. I'm "garym" there too. We don't want to fill up Spoon's forum related to something that is not Illustrate related. I'm already pushing his hospitality with our discussions on your setup.

p.s. I don't mean to push "my setup". But's that what I know. You might be very happy with a Sonos Connect at your stereo side rather than a SB Touch. It is also plug and play and can work with or without a DAC. I have one and it works well. Not for me though because it can't handle more than about 65,000 tracks and can't play any file that are more than 16/44.1 (or maybe it was 16/48). But the library size limitation is the deal breaker for me.
    Last edited by garym; 03-29-2016 at 03:34 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Got the Logitech Forum Its layout is very Similar to this one.All of this has me Questioning the the Need For a NAS drive Full Stop.Of Course High-end players Kinda Force you into having one. I know they can Run all the Time.Which Leads me to one more Question.Will LMS still work if Computer Off/sleeping. (My Guess is Not-Not that really matters that much.) Just need to decided which way to go.The logitech touch New are Like GOLD dust Brand New..Shows how good they were/are.

Thanks for all of your help. This is all tricky for Someone whos been used to dropping needles and pressing play most of his life...But will get In the end.Hopefully setting this up now will stop me coming on here asking Questions on "how this n that will look-when in reality it all depends on which System /server etc.. Your using-so cant really get right answer. And Sorry to Spoon and Co. for the diversion (Iam sure he Understands!)

dBpoweramp Guru

Got the Logitech Forum Its layout is very Similar to this one.All of this has me Questioning the the Need For a NAS drive Full Stop.Of Course High-end players Kinda Force you into having one. I know they can Run all the Time.Which Leads me to one more Question.Will LMS still work if Computer Off/sleeping. (My Guess is Not-Not that really matters that much.) Just need to decided which way to go.The logitech touch New are Like GOLD dust Brand New..Shows how good they were/are.

Thanks for all of your help. This is all tricky for Someone whos been used to dropping needles and pressing play most of his life...But will get In the end.Hopefully setting this up now will stop me coming on here asking Questions on "how this n that will look-when in reality it all depends on which System /server etc.. Your using-so cant really get right answer. And Sorry to Spoon and Co. for the diversion (Iam sure he Understands!)
    Yes, computer running LMS has to be on to play music. A NAS is just a computer without a monitor or keyboard. but its still a computer. I don't typically like most prepackaged NAS units as they are sometimes hard to add 3rd party software to (such as LMS). I use a "nas" but it is an open system. I use VORTEXBOX OS (linux) on a vortexbox appliance (a small, low power computer) myself. I have 3 (in different locations) and all work well. They run 24/7 for months and months at a time. Essentially the only time I reboot is when I do some automatic software updating provided by vortexbox. p.s. Vortexbox OS is already setup with LMS. This said, there are lots of NAS things you can use. But they need to be a bit more powerful to run certain software, such as LMS, particularly if you have a large library like mine.