title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Naming/paths/Comps/Folders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daleyb
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2014

Naming/paths/Comps/Folders

Although I've read dbpa sites Info on Naming/paths on the site..Ive still not got my head around it...This is mainly due to not having purchased a streamer yet..(so unsure how whatever streamer I get will "see things". Even reading threads on here...its not yet clicked for me.

In Ripper window I set to just : [artist][title].......... For Single artists and Compilations.

I Haved a few mini panic attacks that the Comps may not give the Info for what Iam seeing on my streamer. I want to keep it Simple.

But then Is not true that I can always go back into Converter RESET the Naming String/path and just Overwrite later.

please note - i always tick the comp box ( if a Comp)....
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Naming/paths/Comps/Folders

It is not clear (at least to me) what you are asking here.

In CDRipper, Path and Naming are only used to set the folder location and filename for a ripped CD.

Path and Naming do not impact on your metadata (tags), which your streaming software will most likely use.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by daleyb
      In Ripper window I set to just : [artist][title].......... For Single artists and Compilations.
      I use my files with several different streamers. There are minor differences on how things are displayed, but good metadata tagging should work well with most decent streamers. And as mville notes, the above is just about the file naming and *not* the metadata.

p.s. If at all possible I would avoid ripping all my CDs *before* I setup some sort of digital playback system. There's nothing quite as valuable in designing a work flow as ripping a few CDs, playing them, checking out how your interfaces deal with tags, etc. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark. And you may decide that you did everything wrong!
      Last edited by garym; 03-16-2016, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• daleyb
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Oct 2014

Good point Gary..I think Iam shooting in the dark.Not being able to *see* what iam doing as I go.To be Honest Ive ripped a lot of Cds Now...So it may be worth Taking the plunge now for a Streamer.My Idea was to rip all CDS to HD first then get a streamer....I know some folk Choose to do this way...but seems risky and like you say you create a work flow.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Good point Gary..I think Iam shooting in the dark.Not being able to *see* what iam doing as I go.To be Honest Ive ripped a lot of Cds Now...So it may be worth Taking the plunge now for a Streamer.My Idea was to rip all CDS to HD first then get a streamer....I know some folk Choose to do this way...but seems risky and like you say you create a work flow.
          you don't need to spend any money to test with a streamer. Do you use windows? If so, just install foobar2000 as a server/player on your computer. What sort of network streaming system are you planning on using? Lots of choices, some easy to use some very clunky (and it turns out that some of the most clunky are those related to traditional high-end audio components). I use LMS and Squeezeboxes. Some around here use SONOS. Others use illustrate's ASSET UPNP and some DNLA compatible endpoint. You might also check out the new ROON LABS server and compatible players. If you're waiting for the perfect system to come along, you may never take the plunge. Many years ago I had friends that didn't want to buy a computer because they wanted to "wait, because they are getting cheaper and better". With that logic, they'd still not have their first computer!

Comment

• Dat Ei
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2014

I don't get the problem? Invest as much time as possible into the metadata of your ripped data. You can change the naming of your files to whatever you want afterwards as long as you have the necessary metadata within the files.

Dat Ei
            Last edited by Dat Ei; 03-17-2016, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dat Ei
              I don't get the problem? Invest as much time as possible into the metadata of your ripped data. You can change the naming of your files to whatever you want as long as long as you have the necessary metadata within the files.

Dat Ei
              agree. complete/correct metadata is the key. (and my "testing" with actual use comments are more related to seeing how it uses metadata. Does it need AlbumArtist? Does he want artistsort or not? does he want year/data?, etc.)
              Last edited by garym; 03-17-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• daleyb
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2014

my workflow is simply Rip cd>check via mp3tag> check again in foobar.> back up on HD....so In "theory" every things Fine. There will come a time When everythings Ripped (Still a long way off) and the plunge will be taken. At the present A cyrus stream XA is on the cards. (Would Like a Naim or Linn..But a Tad bit out of My price range)..Like you say Some of "High-End" are not that user friendly. Not after a multi Room set up. Just to Integrate in my current HIFI SYSTEM. It would be nice to rip and see result/s though.

Iam doing my Homework Due to price. Iam going for A qnap NAS. but still unsure if to go for a Fanless one.I heard these slow up.Someone else informed this was untrue.....

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

my workflow is simply Rip cd>check via mp3tag> check again in foobar.> back up on HD....so In "theory" every things Fine. There will come a time When everythings Ripped (Still a long way off) and the plunge will be taken. At the present A cyrus stream XA is on the cards. (Would Like a Naim or Linn..But a Tad bit out of My price range)..Like you say Some of "High-End" are not that user friendly. Not after a multi Room set up. Just to Integrate in my current HIFI SYSTEM. It would be nice to rip and see result/s though.

Iam doing my Homework Due to price. Iam going for A qnap NAS. but still unsure if to go for a Fanless one.I heard these slow up.Someone else informed this was untrue.....
                  Then it sounds like you'll be fine. Just keep ripping! p.s. I read more problems with network streamers related to Linn and Naim than almost anything. So be happy that they are out of your price range.

Comment

• Oggy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2015

Linn and Naim are some if the most reliable electronics in the industry. I've got friends who own either Linn or Naim streamers and know dealers who sell them and don't have issues. Linn equipment comes with a five year warranty, and once installed tend to be very non problematical. Their s/w is very mature and stable. Can't always say the same with other streamers on the market.

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Oggy
                      Linn and Naim are some if the most reliable electronics in the industry. I've got friends who own either Linn or Naim streamers and know dealers who sell them and don't have issues. Linn equipment comes with a five year warranty, and once installed tend to be very non problematical. Their s/w is very mature and stable. Can't always say the same with other streamers on the market.
                      I should clarify my remarks. Linn and Naim equipment is very high quality and reliable and has excellent post-purchase service (in the rare case it is needed). The "interfaces" to control streaming to Linn and Naim streamers are what I hear problems about, including some of the workarounds to get gapless streaming, etc. The short version of the story is that these are DLNA based and DNLA has to be the worst "standard" in the audio streaming arena. This said, Illustrate's UpnP-Asset is one of the best attempts to make DLNA/upnp work well.

Google "naim DLNA" or "linn DLNA" or "kinsky DLNA" and read a bit at forums devoted to Naim or Linn.

Comment

• Oggy
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by garym
                        I should clarify my remarks. Linn and Naim equipment is very high quality and reliable and has excellent post-purchase service (in the rare case it is needed). The "interfaces" to control streaming to Linn and Naim streamers are what I hear problems about, including some of the workarounds to get gapless streaming, etc. The short version of the story is that these are DLNA based and DNLA has to be the worst "standard" in the audio streaming arena. This said, Illustrate's UpnP-Asset is one of the best attempts to make DLNA/upnp work well.

Google "naim DLNA" or "linn DLNA" or "kinsky DLNA" and read a bit at forums devoted to Naim or Linn.
                        Certainly don't want to get into a heavy discussion here about the merits of DLNA and the lack of compliance to standards from some manufacturers! Some friends use Illustrate - Asset, and it works very well. I should imagine it is written very professionally and complies to the standards.

I only commented on Linn and Naim because I sold them along with Mission/Cyrus for many years. From friends who have owned and sold Linn renderers I haven't heard of problems with gapless playback and one has only had software issues since moving away from his Linn DSM. That doesn't mean there aren't problems out there, and some software is very badly written and non-compliant!

Happy tagging and listening!
                        Last edited by Oggy; 03-18-2016, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

I agree with your comments. I should have directed my comments toward *certain* DLNA implementations.

Comment

• Oggy
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2015

Hi, daleyb

I don't know a great deal about the QNAP NAS drives apart from the fact that a large number of people who gave been ripping their CDs (with dBpoweramp, of course), use these. Linn have recommended them for years, and you'll probably find a lot of information from users on the Linn web site regarding their implementation. Even though I went with Synology with one of their more budget models, I have only heard good things about QNAP.

As for a renderer, I don't know if you have a local dealer to you who sells, Cyrus, Linn, Naim and DACs, (my dealer does), but if so, why not introduce yourself, take along some of your ripped files and have a listen for yourself. I don't know Cyrus or Naim's warranty policy, but Linn's is 5 years, transferable, making a second hand purchase a great proposition.

Having worked in retail for 15 years, 2 years selling cars, which I hated and the rest selling Hi-Fi, which I loved, my favourite questions were always, "what do you use at home", and "what do you recommend ". I use these myself when interested in new equipment, and usually end up with brutally honest and revealing answers.

As an aside, the first really top end renderer I heard was the Linn Klimax DS in comparison to their CD12, through a really revealing active system. Taking any politics out of the equation, at the time the Linn CD12 was an extremely well regarded CD player. I was absolutely shocked that the DS cleary outperformed the CD.

This was shortly before I got married, so I still haven't bought any of these sonic wonders, but like you I have been ripping my way through a large number of CDs. I have hooked my NAS up to a few systems ensuring my naming and rips work. Thanks not only to the software, dBpoweramp and Perfect Tunes for Windows in my case and some timely advice from this forum, I've been achieving the results I wanted.

Here's to successful ripping, tagging and happy listening!
                            Last edited by Oggy; 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• daleyb
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2014

thanks GaryM... and Oggy your advice to take my flac rips to a Hi-fi dealer is really So simple (and Common Sense) I'm surprised I really didn't think of that!!. ( A few cd rips on a USB mem. Stick should do the trick!)

One Of the problems faced by me (and many) is Now the lack of Hifi Dealers in My area. Hifi buying changed in the last 20 years with the High street shops going.I Have to go out a few miles to find "high-end" stores. I can read Hifi reviews in Mags/Online... but Hardly the same has Proper demos.

Think the Cyrus is DNLA based.But using Asset Should help.correct me if I am wrong But Asset only supports Qnap NOT synology...Hence my Choice.

Comment

Working...

]]>